NBN FTTC / FTTK

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by lonewolf77, Apr 18, 2019.

1. lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Hi Guys,

At my folks place, I am planning on getting NBN setup, they have NBN FTTC. They still want access to a phone as well. I know NBN provides the modem, do i still need a Voip Router or is the NBN modem provide VOIP already? As I already have decent wifi routers that i would prefer to use but i dont think any of them have Voip.

These are the routers i have :- Asus RT68U router , Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6 router, ASUS RT66U as well as TP link Archer D7 and a cheapy TP link adsl Modem / router (8960 i think). I also recently got a ASUS DSL-AC68U VDSL/DSL/NBN modem router (But I am using that for NBN FTTN at my place) and a couple of ASUS RT-AC87U.

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

the RSP's modem does this...

3. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

So I do have to pay for and get a modem from them? I was hoping the NBN provided modem will do it then i can just use my own wifi router.

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

would depend on your RSP.....to be honest i have never dealt with FTTC... maybe call your rsp and find out...

5. caspian

caspian Member

the NBN provided modem is just a bridge modem (albeit with a reverse power function). all it does is present an ethernet connection for you to plug your equipment into. VoIP is a CPE function, you need a router to bring up a layer 3 connection, and an ATA to provide the SIP functionality over the top of that. a router with VoIP built in will do both, but you or your ISP need to supply and configure it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  6. McRutch

McRutch Member

you could use your existing router & just buy a VOIP to analogue phone converter, I use a Linksys SPA2102

would be cheaper than a whole new modem/router and if your current one is decent it's probably better than theirs

I got mine off ebay for like $30

7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Use the ISP-supplied modem/router/everything in one for voice and routing, turn off wifi and use one of your miscellaneous asus or TPlink things for wifi.

8. mjunek

mjunek Member

Absolutely agree with ir0nhide. Even then, I wouldn't even bother playing with a different AP.
    It's your folks place. Make it simple, make it easy to support. And best of all, if you're only using what the RSP has given you, they can ring tech support and get help when things turn bad.

I used to try to do all this fancy stuff with my dad's internet connection, but now I don't bother anymore he's switched to NBN. It's the Telstra supplied router sitting on the FTTC modem, which handles Wifi, VoIP, 4G backup, you name it. Plug and play.

9. caspian

caspian Member

there's also no reason the router can't be located elsewhere from the FTTC modem if it makes the wifi coverage better. it's a ethernet link so no different to running the same to a separate WAP. just need to put a cordless phone base station there too, to avoid running more wiring.

10. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I think the OP lives with his parents and having a separate wifi box gives him something to play with.

11. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Nah I live in a separate house with FTTN and a ASUS router WIFI mesh happening at the moment but sadly my ASUS router / modem does not have Voip so i cant actually test the phone line part of things then again i dont really use the landline anyway.

But my folks dont live far from me, so i usually do spend time over there every week and do have some servers and computers set up there as well. I was just wanting to use my routers because i think they are a lot better in terms of specs compared to the ones i can get through the RSP and from my previous experience i did come across issues using lower end / lower quality routers on torrent machines and a lot of file transfers as sometimes they would struggle or cause issues compared to the higher end routers. But I am not sure if this router i can buy off them will have that same issue.

The plan was to have the router and the modem set up in my old bedroom which is basically where i have all my computers and switches etc. Problem is i hadnt thought about the phone part of things, as the phone will be just for my folks anyway and hence i will need to organise i guess a multi pack handset phone system so they can have the handsets in the same place as they currently have their phones connected...

12. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Your other option would be a router that supports DECT handsets.

Or something like this: https://uniden.com.au/product/dect-1730-1/