NBN FTTN Aussie BB

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by lonewolf77, Mar 11, 2019.

1. lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Hi Guys,

I have NBN FTTN being installed next week with Aussie BB, These are the routers i have :- Asus RT68U router , Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6 router, ASUS RT66U as well as TP link Archer D7 and a cheapy TP link adsl Modem / router (8960 i think) ( I also have other older ADSL modem routers as well as cable modems). I also recently got a ASUS DSL-AC68U VDSL/DSL/NBN modem router.

It sounds like i can use the ASUS DSL modem / Router for my FTTN connection as well? Is that right? Or should i still buy a cheap modem/router for the NBN and then use that as the modem and one of my other routers for the main routing part?

2. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Hey, the ASUS DSL-AC68U will port lock the line if not pre-configured correctly before connecting. They can walk you though it. I'm about to leave ABB due to the long call times for support, they have not been able to keep up with their growth. They have hired more people and you may see a reduction soon.

The ASUS DSL-AC68U chip set was no good for my long line length 1100m (kept sync when it should have dropped) but you should be fine, it's a nice modem / router.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  3. clonex

clonex Member

whats a long wait time? i rang sat nite and waited like 10mins, nothing short of loading up the iinet app on the ipad to request a callback and getting a suggestion that i should watch Cleopatra or alternatively both Ben Hur and Gone with the wind.

most nites on iinet was 400-600mins wait :D

4. 1dongchen

1dongchen Member

Who are you moving to?

5. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

It was 1 hour and 4 mins. Was a little out of the ordinary but the last couple of months time have been growing and were well over over 20mins and onlne gaming lag has been a on off issue since the new world wide Ip thing. I wish I had FFTB and I'm sure the support times wouldn't be an issue.

I'm giving Superloop a go.

6. josh_676

josh_676 Member

I hope you used a referral code on signing up, if not happy to give you one.

7. clonex

clonex Member

atleast with aussiebb they speak strayan and not outsourcing it.

Hive and Nobby6 like this.
  8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've occasionally been caller #25 or so with ABB. They seem to get through them pretty quickly, never had to wait more than 20 minutes or so, and realistically you'll get at least that with pretty much any provider.

With ABB though the first contact is usually able to take care of pretty much anything, you don't have to wait 40 minutes to get to speak to someone who tells you in a very heavy accent that they will need to transfer you to someone else, then have to wait another 40 minutes before the call suddenly just disconnects without notice and you have start all over again. I'm looking at you, Telstra and Optus...

Given that I've only had to call them to ask for an ETA on an unscheduled outage (local NBN hub had a power outage :lol:), or to add stuff to my plans etc. it would seem silly to me to be doing the provider shuffle in the forlorn hope that I could do better.

I've just been using the NBN Arris modem and the ABB supplied (at a cost) router, had no issues with them at all. I've also been able to attain full speed with zero congestion issues from day one.

9. caspian

caspian Member

depends on what DSLAM you're connected to. the software rollout that contains the fix is well over 2/3rds done and should be done before the end of the month. at that stage, a misconfigured modem just won't sync, and the port will return to normal operation as soon as the modem is disconnected.

is that a typo? you wanted the modem to drop out? :confused:

10. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

I am completely confused by this, so currently i can stuff up the port? They are coming next week to set up the NBN, so i need to figure out what i am going to do for a NBN modem, do i purchase one from the computer store or just use the ASUS DSL (If it can be used for FTTN?) and will they set it up or do i do that after they leave?

11. caspian

caspian Member

yep, you sure can. the setup wizard in the ASUS DSL-AC68U is screwed up and doesn't turn RTX mode on even though it says it does. if you then connect the modem to the line the port will lock up for several hours or so.

why not just use the modem your ISP supplies?

12. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Sorry, Although i work in IT and have been doing that for decades :), I have no clue on NBN in the sense that with the differnt formats what types of modems / routers work with each type of NBN. I am fine to use the modem the ISP supplies, but i thought i had to pay extra for the modem? Or do they supply it for free? IF I have to pay / buy a modem off them then i figured i would be better of buying a better quality modem or get a better price by buying it myself? I was thinking its like ADSL / dialup, where the ISP can supply a modem for a exorbitant / higher price or you just go to any computer store and buy the modem yourself.

IF NBN is different from this and supply modems for free or quality modems then i am more than happy to use theirs. and I will just use my own wireless router unless their routers are better?

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

ABB do charge for their router, from memory it was about $150. The modem is a separate thing, it was free and part of the NBN installation. Mine is an Arris, I have no idea if other providers use a different modem. Note though that I am HFC, not FTTN.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  14. clonex

clonex Member

Pretty sure you pay upfront for the modem or they lock you into a 12 month contract if they supply it

15. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

16. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Yeah thats what i thought, that i had to supply my own modem and router :(, What is the best bang for buck modem that i can use with FTTN? or should i use the ASUS DSL-AC68U. Will the NBN guy set it up while he is here, or do i have to do it myself once he is gone?

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The router that Hyperion has linked is the one I bought from ABB. That however is not the actual modem as far as I am aware(?) which is a separate thing, in the case of my HFC connection at any rate. A separate black box intermediates between that linked Netcomm router and the wall plug, which is the modem, I thought.

My assumption is that you could use your own router hooked up to the (Arris CM8200) modem provided free by the NBN, unless they use a different modem for FTTN vs my HFC.

18. Ecstasy

Ecstasy Member

19. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Nope not a typo. Line state became too unstable for packet transfer but the modem wouldn't drop sync.

20. caspian

caspian Member

how were you determining the line state?