NBN FTTN Aussie BB

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by lonewolf77, Mar 11, 2019.

1. caspian

caspian Member

you don't get to do that either if all that is happening is reactivating an existing line.

you can get a suitably licenced tech to move it anywhere you like. this is just DSL, it's very little different than any other form of DSL we've had for two decades now.

which piece of literature is that? it will refer only to brand new lines being installed, not an existing line having a service activated on it.

2. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

So NBN guy doesnt have to come back to do anything at the box on the side of my house where all the phone lines first meet from the Node before going to the individual phone sockets? If thats the case then it would be easier for me as i would much prefer to have the NBN line in the comms room rather than right next to my head in the main bedroom.

Basically the emails or letters i received whenever they talked about the NBN guy coming, they all said, we need someone home to tell them in which location / room they want the NBN installed, but i think this is just part of a basic message so i guess it applies to all the NBN types of installations barring my one.

On another note, I noticed this morning the NBN Guy was so busy rushing to another job after mine that he didnt actually screw back the cover on the box on the side of the house. So its been left wide open and the phone wires sticking out for the last 2 days. Can that have been affected by the rain / general wind etc? As in rust or any form of damage i need to be worried about?

3. caspian

caspian Member

not if the line is physically intact to a socket, no.

they you can either pay for a cabling tech to relocate it wherever you wish, or you optionally could have a brand new line connected at cost, in which case you will get to nominate where you want the socket (within reason).

and again - only if there isn't an existing connection into the premises that can be reused. exactly the same applies to FTTN, FTTC, HFC.

it should be screwed closed, but nothing is going to fail immediately because of it. raise an incident with your ISP.

4. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

They should have secured it anyway, call your RSP and make a complaint, tell them wires are sticking out *if they are) and you dont want problems down the track like when it next rains, the contractor should be made to go back at his own cost and do what he should have done right the first time.

5. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

I contacted ABB, they told me to contact NBN myself and complain about the issue. Strange as i thought it should come from ABB.

6. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

strange indeed, since you have no business arrangement with NBN, only ABB, sounds like someone at ABB was buck passing

lonewolf77 likes this.
  7. caspian

caspian Member

just a a followup.... this issue is now resolved. there are a small handful of sites still to be patched in coming weeks but it is effectively fixed.

8. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

No-one has still come by to close up the junction box. I have reported the issue to ACCC and TIO. NBN keeps telling me they will get the ticket sent to the appropriate department but nothing has processed from that in the last 3 weeks.

On another note, I have noticed people say to get the extra phone sockets / lines disconnected from the junction box and just keep the one socket / line which connects to the modem, How can i see if the NBN guy did disconnect the other line i have.

9. caspian

caspian Member

reporting to the ACCC and the TIO are a waste of your time. the former is there to regulate industry and encourage competition. the latter is there to mediate issues between yourself and your service provider, which NBN is not.

have NBN given you a reference number? if so, then it's being actioned, since it's not affecting your service or dangerous it's probably not a priority.

as to the internal cabling, I would be surprised if the tech touched it, especially as he didn't seem terribly well informed about the importance of it from what you said! are you actually having speed related issues?

Nobby6 likes this.
  10. koopz

koopz Member

Caspian, there is little doubt in my mind that you are an expert in your field.

I am quite honestly appreciative that someone of your expertise has spared their time and energy here in this place as you have over the years.

The NBN Co project has been full of challenges, and you meet them in your stride here for all to read.

As the NBN project continues to move forward, I do hope that this forum will continue to see you as a trusted member, and that your drive to educate others with the down to earth and realistic style that you have displayed in the past.

While I do not see eye to eye with you on your politics nor your take on my industry caspian, I do identify with your commitment to your work.

With that, I cannot fault you.

11. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Only speed related issues i am having is ABB reckons my line can do up to 113Mbps , but i have only ever been able to get 87 Mbps which i thought was good but i have noticed a lot of other people on ABB and FTTN seem to get 90+ and the tech told me i am extremely close to the node so i should be able to get full speed when he was installing it.

I havent been given a reference no. but i got a call from the TIO saying they are going to chase up with NBN on it. In my previous experience both ACCC and TIO are somewhat useful with these kinds of issues as they get the company moving when otherwise it may not be taking it seriously.

12. caspian

caspian Member

install techs have their own skill set, but with individual exceptions they simply do not have enough knowledge and visibility of all of the issues that govern DSL transmission and line performance. distance is only one of many factors, so statements like "anything under 300m from the node should be capable of getting 100mbps" do unfortunately demonstrate a pretty simple level of understanding that doesn't change anything else for the making. at 87Mbps you do not have an issue with your service.

call NBN, lodge a complaint, get a reference number. you are wasting your time with both the ACCC and TIO. they are not the correct organisations to engage, any more than calling any other random government department. and that's from 18 years of experience as a telecommunications industry professional.

13. OP
    OP
    lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Member

Actually i was wrong, turns out i do have a reference no. from 5 weeks ago when i first reported it.

14. caspian

caspian Member

then I suggest the best next step is giving them a call and asking for a progress update.

To get in touch with NBN's Contact Centre call 1800 OUR NBN (1800 687 626).