1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

NBN (HFC Coming) - Provider recommendation please

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by combatant3219, Jul 26, 2017.

1. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

NBN (HFC) is coming to my place (Blackburn North, 3130) on 13th October apparently and started getting promotional offers from providers so thought I'd start thinking about who to go with.

Currently have been on Optus Cable Speed Pack and can get up to 100Mbps but congestion has been an issue over the past 4 months in peak times. Have been with them for a while and been generally happy. Also got their Fetch TV Package.

Not sure of all providers that will be available in the area yet but will take it as a given Telstra & Optus will be there, and have already had offers to pre-order from TPG and iiNet.

Will be going with the top speed pack.

I know it will vary based on location etc but just looking for recommendations or experiences with different providers since I know that some will allow for extra capacity and hopefully have less congestion.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i'm think that if you have congestion on normal HFC, when you switch to NBN HFC you'll also suffer (assuming you're on the same carrier) from congestion

3. McRutch

McRutch Member

I have a feeling Optus have more premises per node than telstra and normally suffer worse congestion, NBN normally go with the Telstra standard per node.

Same reason is why most of the Optus only HFC areas had HFC scrapped in favour of FTTC.

4. GRP

GRP Member

I went from Optus HFC unlimited speed pack and home phone (which ran very well most of the time and was nothing like the regular horror stories you read about) to NBN HFC unlimited 100/40 using Barefoot as I also wanted a couple of land line numbers ported and was happy to pay their $10.00 per month per number. So far the service has been excellent with even peak periods usually doing 90Mbps and upload of 36Mbps or better.

Delays in changing over were all due to the incompetence of NBN in cabling me.

Perhaps it will slow down when everyone in the area finally moves to NBN.

5. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

This depends.
    If you're currently on optus, there will be a change in your congestion, one way or the other, because you're moving onto the Telstra HFC infrastructure.

IIRC, the Optus HFC build was scrapped because it was terribly maintained and would cost more to fix it than it was worth

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Congestion on retail HFC != congestion on NBN HFC. Not saying you won't get either/both, but they're completely independent.

7. laurie

laurie Member

If voip is a consideration then Telstra will provide a prioritised TC-1 service . I don't know if others do this but doubt it.

8. caspian

caspian Member

virtually every provider out there supplies TC-1 over data. UNI-V is less common but that's not applicable to HFC anyway.

9. laurie

laurie Member

From my reading of voip posts only Telstra and skymesh appear to supply voip via TC-1 over data while most seem to supply it via TC-4 over data saying its too expensive with extra CVC cost via TC-1 over data.

10. caspian

caspian Member

with all due respect, read more widely. whirlpool is not reading widely, it's the intellectual equivalent of shagging your cousin.

I just pulled the last 5,000 HFC connection orders out of the system. well over 90% were ordered with TC-1, from 10 different access seekers. at least 4 of which I know resell to other ISPs.

11. laurie

laurie Member

Well that is good news but a shame that they don't state that on their plans for those who consider a prioritised phone service is important.
    I spoke with 2 popular vsp retailers at the recent CeBIT exhibition in Sydney and both stated that they only provided voip for retail customers via TC-4 data so I assumed this must be fairly common.

12. caspian

caspian Member

VSPs can't do anything else. they aren't the lessee of the service from NBN, they're providing a 3rd party IP application that runs across an internet connection that just happens to be there.

13. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

^^^ This. It's in the ISP's best interests to use TC-1 for voice traffic; low bandwidth requirements + more reliable transmission = less problems.

ISPs (well, the major ones anyway) don't need to state that they use TC-1 for their bundled voice much like you don't state that wheels come with a new car; technically you can sell a car without it but you're asking for problems if you don't :p

Ok maybe that's a poor analogy but you get what I mean.

14. OP
    OP
    combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Thanks for that, sounds like they're pretty consistent and will keep them in mind if available in my area.

My current experience with Optus has been 90-100Mbps outside peak ours and has been okay during peak recently at about 50-60Mbps but had issues a couple of months ago where it dropped to 5-10Mbps during peak.

Uploads are a constant dismal 1.5Mbps.

I wasn't aware of that, so thanks very much for the info.

We're looking at ditching our landline so that's not a consideration for us since the only person that ever calls us on that is an elderly grandparent and scam/charity calls, so we're going to ditch it when NBN comes.