NBN Install in a house with cladding that contains asbestos

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by OzzieFarmBoy, Jul 4, 2017.

1. OzzieFarmBoy

OzzieFarmBoy Member

Has anyone had a fixed wireless service installed on a house with no roof access (very low pitch) and asbestos cladding?

I live in an area where fixed wireless is the ONLY option I have for the NBN. This necessitates the installation of an aerial/dish on the roof of my house and running cable down to where my phone socket currently lives.

2 Weeks ago the installer turns up 15 minutes into a 4 hour blackout. He can't do anything so I have no option but to re-schedule.

Yesterday the installer turns up just as light showers begin to fall. "Sorry mate, no can do in this weather" He then asks me if the cladding contains asbestos and I tell him that it does and that I had informed the ISP when I first arranged for the install. He looks over his notes and says "nope, no mention of it in my notes. Even if it was a fine day I wouldn't be able to do the install due to the presence of the asbestos"

So today I ring the provider to make sure that the installer (who is re-booked for 2 weeks from now) is aware that the cladding contains asbestos and that he is suitably prepared. They tell me that I should contact their provisioning team.... which I do. I'm informed that the note on my account states that "until the issue is removed, they cannot go ahead with the installation" I spend the next 30 minutes trying to explain to the drone what cladding and asbestos is and why "removing the issue" would entail removing all of the cladding (by a licensed asbestos removalist) and then re-cladding the house just so the installer can run some conduit down the side of the house. I ask the drone to put me through to her supervisor and after a couple minutes on hold she informs me that her supervisor is currently unavailable but would get back to me in the next day or 2.

In summary, I have an installer coming Monday week. As far as I can tell, they wont be able to complete the install because I have asbestos in my cladding and no-one can tell my what can be done about it (other than "removing the issue")

Honestly, If my tin can and string 1500/256 ADSL connection wasn't so flaky I'd put up with it until they switch it off in 2020.

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Asbestos is nasty shit, I wouldn't want to be drilling in to it.

3. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Working with and around asbestos can be safely managed, however most people put it in the too hard basket and everyone else charges.

OP - you may need to pick the brain of the NBN bloke to find out what he needs to physically install but can't due to the asbestos (i.e. bracket for the aerial and conduit down the side). Then ask him if said mounting equipment was installed by a licensed cabler (with an asbestos ticket), can an NBN tech use this to install the aerial, cable and termination (if he agrees, get it in writing with his contact details). You may need to get him to provide you with an aerial mount or other NBN specific hardware that isn't readily available at a wholesaler.

If he / NBN in general won't undertake an install that has been half done by others, find out how/where he plans to mount the equipment, take photos and organise to have the cladding (and any other asbestos) replaced in that section only. Again get this in writing.

4. gords

gords Oh deer!

If you know the rough area that they're going to be installing the FW antenna in, you could always have a cabler install the required conduit and a pull cable, so that all the NBN installer has to do is attach their cable, pull it through and terminate.

It's not ideal, but it might get you a service quicker than otherwise. I've done it before for an FTTP connection where the installer would've had to go to trouble to put the NTD where I wanted it.

Edit: Beaten by fredhoon. In my experience the installers are only too glad to have an easy job to do. However the exact wording in the ticket with my RSP was "nbn have contacted us to let us know that the installation has not continued as planned as you will be arranging your own electrician to install internal pathway." which sounds like they're quite happy for that arrangement to happen.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    OzzieFarmBoy

OzzieFarmBoy Member

So it looks like the providers provisioning department is absolutely useless.

The only 2 lines I can get out of them is
    "The installation must be done by an accredited NBN installer"
    and
    "installation cannot go ahead until 'the issue has been removed'"

I've cancelled the install. No point in having an installer come out if he can't do anything. He doesn't get paid unless the job is completed and I'm not keen on losing another half days work just for shits and giggles. At least until a workaround can be found.

They can't tell me whether there is any way to work around the problem. Nor will they put me in contact with the actual installers to see what options may be available to me.

I'm no expert but I would have thought that going up through the wall cavity and out through the fascia would be more than acceptable. At worst, a sheet or 2 of corrugated gal would have to be lifted. Hell even going straight up through the roof would be acceptable. That IS where the aerial was to be attached. I mean the wall plug is a metre from the ceiling.

http://imgur.com/0CCnr81

6. gords

gords Oh deer!

Yep, so have a cabler install a pull cable between the two points. The reason I had to get it done was because the NBN guys wouldn't/couldn't lift roof sheets. That was for a FTTP install. Not sure if it's the same for a FW install.

If you don't know the precise location that the installer would install the antenna on the roof, you could organise the cabler to be on-site at the time of the install. Between the two of them they should be able to get it done easily and quickly.

7. disco frank

disco frank Member

this would have had to come up before your issue

there is more than 1 house in aus with asbestos .

its all about too hard pass the buck or nope wont do it ffs

what about a different service provider?

8. Copie

Copie Member

Shouldn't of told them

9. m3k

m3k Member

you did the right thing by telling them- some poor sod could get sick over it.

best thing to do is bando the house. dont wana be near that nasty crap

10. Copie

Copie Member

You can get sick simply by walking down the street. Everything has risks.

Abestos isn't some product that will kill you the moment it makes contact with you, you just need to make sure you don't breath in fibers, easiest way to ensure this is to wet the area if your planning to drill or disturb it.

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yeah anyone would think the stuff is Cyanide. It's just not that dangerous, OH&S gone mad.

Yes, its carcinogenic, but that's by inhaling millions of little fibres back in the day when builders use to cut the shit up every day of the year with a power saw and no mask.

Drilling a hole in the stuff once in a blue moon won't hurt you, especially if you wear a mask and use water to prevent dust.

12. Pugs

Pugs Member

Get them to install a conduit with a pull string safer all round....

13. gords

gords Oh deer!

That's what I originally suggested:

However if the wall cavity can be used, there's no point in taking the roof off just to install conduit.

14. OP
    OP
    OzzieFarmBoy

OzzieFarmBoy Member

Unfortunately the service provider doesn't control the install. They pass the job onto a 3rd party NBN accredited installer. Seeing that I am in a small country town, I'll most likely be stuck with the same installer no matter the service provider

15. caspian

caspian Member

correct, there's no differential in the install per access seeker.

16. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

You're not going to have any luck with phone monkeys, if it's not in their script they can't answer the question (hence the 2x repeated lines you received).

Best you can hope for over the phone is to get the matter escalated by asking the right question - I.e. "what is the issue preventing install" and "what needs to be done to resolve it satisfactorily". If they can't answer this, nor a supervisor and it's not escalated you can try putting vin a complaint (this will slow things down - everyone goes into CYA mode and runs by the book).

Personally I'd tell them it's fixed so you can meet the tech again to discuss or take a punt and get a 3rd party to run a conduit & draw wire. The only unknown that I can envision is where & how the antenna or dish will be mounted, hence others suggestions to get the 3rd party to meet the NBN tech on the day incase he won't lift a roof sheet.

17. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

I got two split system aircons installed in my house. The fridgie was putting in the head units while my sparky did the work on the board.

I mentioned that the walls were asbestos fibro, and when he looked unsure, I told him to draw where he wanted the holes and how big, then go outside for a minute.

Then I got my hammer and bashed out the holes. No dust created.

As others have said, you can drill through asbestos, just don't breath in the dust. Or, if he needs to run conduit through asbestos, just put a hammer through the wall at the right place, then patch around the conduit later with acrylic sealant and paint. The installer may not be willing to do it himself, but he'll be willing to go for a walk while you do it.

18. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Work tells us to use a drill with hole saw attachment packed and surrounded with saving cream + a plastic bag taped to the other side (where possible) with saving cream coving the exit). As you pointed out, hitting it with a hammer creates minimal dust (especially if it's been wetted down), just depends on how neat you want the hole!

The problem with contractors doing the work is they licensing requirements for asbestos removal that applies to companies, however as a home renovator you can legally dispose of a couple of hundred kg of asbestos at a time.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  19. OP
    OP
    OzzieFarmBoy

OzzieFarmBoy Member

So I've managed to find a local cable installer that will do a cable run for me.
    He is licensed and after a short conversation over the phone he's quietly confident that he can run the cable without touching the cladding by going up through the wall cavity and out through the fascia.

So yay.... in less than a month I'll have 600ms ping times to look forward to :rolleyes:

20. Copie

Copie Member

600ms is good for satellite.

And yeah no to the cable run yes to a conduit + string pull.