NBN MacOS inconsistent ping spiking over wi-fi

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Hmmmmmmm, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm Member

Hi guys,

I moved from naked-adsl to NBN and within the first 24 hours I noticed my download speed was VERY inconsistent at all hours of the day. I did some deeper diving and found that standard ping 100 times to Internode's DNS server showed the issue more clearly

--- 192.231.203.132 ping statistics ---
    100 packets transmitted, 99 packets received, 1.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.961/76.897/910.967/145.721 ms

I swapped my own router (R7000) out for Internode's TG-789 and the issue still exists. I then tried pinging from within the router and found that every time I ran a test the ping was much more consistent.

I then tried on my iPhone and found that the ping was as consistent as it was from the router. It's a MacOS problem. So I tried a ping test on a Macbook Air and the pings are again consistent. So it's a problem specific to my Macbook Pro.

I ran the test again on my MBP with no applications open and the ping is still inconsistent. I turned on wi-fi logging and watched for the bigger spikes (over 100ms) and there weren't anything logged during spikes.

Without combing through Activity Monitor and killing processes until the ping calms down, does anyone have any ideas? Could this be a problem somehow brought on by switching to NBN even though I'm using the same router and its localised to a single device? I'll test a wired connection with this MBP when I grab my adapter from work on Monday.

2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

What build of MacOS are you running? What's the NIC driver version?

3. OP
    OP
    Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm Member

MacOS is Mojave 10.14.15

The NIC is AirPort Extreme Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.61.2 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1305.8)
    Software Versions:
    CoreWLAN: 13.0 (1375.2)
    CoreWLANKit: 13.0 (1375.2)
    Menu Extra: 13.0 (1380.2)
    System Information: 12.0 (1300.2)
    IO80211 Family: 12.0 (1200.12.2)
    Diagnostics: 1.0 (805)
    AirPort Utility: 6.3.9 (639.9)

4. OP
    OP
    Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm Member

Here's an update for those that find this thread in the future.

I believe this has something to do with another problem – some of my devices connected to the the LAN can't communicate with each other. I took a look at my router's management and found that devices connected via 2.4Ghz couldn't see devices connected via the 5Ghz band and vice versa. This never used to be an issue but it looks like a Netgear firmware update has changed how that feature works from being as simple as setting the same SSID for both radios to now something called 'Smart Connect'. I turned the feature off and split the SSIDs and everything is working fine now.

Doesn't explain why I had the ping spikes with a different router but whatever.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019