NBN Node location?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Satriani, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Satriani

Satriani Member

Hi All,
    Looking to purchase a new house, in an area slated to receive FTTN NBN in Q3 of this year.

Is there any way of determining the location of the Node/cabinet and there for the speeds that i may be able to get?

area is Rural View 4740 QLD if that helps at all

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

3. Copie

Copie Member

You want to use the mynbn webpage, but that being said its only an estimation (though its a pretty close estimation)

aka

http://www.mynbn.info/

4. decryption

decryption Member

Not so much the case these days - unless the developer of the new estate has an agreement with NBN or a 3rd party fibre provider (e.g: Opticomm, Red Train), Telstra becomes the provider of last resort (in estates under 100 lots) and now that the government has removed the requirement for fibre in these greenfields areas, Telstra just installs whatever is cheapest and that is copper :(

5. Copie

Copie Member

The developer has to pay regardless, and its not cheap, thousands/tens of thousands.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/develop-or-plan-with-the-nbn/new-developments.html

6. decryption

decryption Member

Exactly - so the developers are just going with whatever is cheapest (and often that's Telstra, who decide to use copper).

Bunch of info here: https://www.communications.gov.au/policy/policy-listing/telecommunications-new-developments

Info on copper going in to new estates: https://delimiter.com.au/2016/01/20/telstra-may-be-deploying-brand-new-copper-to-new-developments/

7. OP
    OP
    Satriani

Satriani Member

Thanks for the replies.

To be clear, the house will be 'new to me' ie, its a 10-15 year old house, currently on copper. The 3 year rollout document says it will be fttn. My question is can one find out where within that area will the actual node be, to determine VDSL line length and attenuation.

8. Copie

Copie Member

Unless its already in the prep/build stage there is no way to know as no plans have been designed or even nbn has visted the sites.

9. caspian

caspian Member

well... yes and no.

10. sw1tch

sw1tch Member

11. caspian

caspian Member

5. get it badly wrong because you have no idea where the line runs.
    6. ask someone who knows.
    7. accept the outcome regardless because virtually nobody thinks, or can, check the internet connectivity to a premises before they enter a binding commitment to buy or rent it.
    8. rant on whirlpool about lot in life.

12. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

The distance on a FTTP setup won't make a difference and as for FTTN, I don't think there is a way to get the location of the node and even then, if it's a newish estate (which you said it isn't), then it will be all new lines meaning enjoy the 20-25mbps max download speeds.

13. caspian

caspian Member

distance means nothing whatsoever to FTTP.

sure there is.

wrong, and I've got several thousand examples proving not. don't believe the bullshit you read on Whirlpool.

14. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Never been on that site for this info. From what I've been told and heard, the max speeds will only be around 20-25mbps and new estates should have new copper, not re-used unless it was somewhere else.

15. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

[​IMG]

i'm inclined to go with caspian on anything nbn related.

16. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

I'll just leave it at that and say that I don't know then. Obviously I've been told wrong.

17. caspian

caspian Member

if there's copper in the ground, it will be reused. newness doesn't come into it.

"new" estates where copper was never installed will probably get fibre, but if they are small enough that Telstra still services them, it's up to Telstra what they install. they have to provide PSTN access, how is not defined, and nor do they have to provide broadband access in any form.

https://delimiter.com.au/2016/01/29/telstra-not-forced-to-deploy-brand-new-copper-says-fifield/

25Mbps would be an absolute worst case scenario for the longest possible line length for FTTN. the vast majority of people will get higher speeds. getting only 25Mbps would be like the inverse of winning the lotto.

18. Westerntribal

Westerntribal Member

The FTTN node will be placed as close to the pillar as practically possible, unless the node is spilt between two pillars in which case it could be anywhere in between the two pillars that is practical and works within the design rules. With that info you can then refer back to points 1-8 in the previous posts.

19. caspian

caspian Member

"practically possible" includes considerations like access to mains power - it could be anything up to several hundred metres away.