NBN NTD Fault

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by rickbishop, Aug 12, 2019.

1. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Maybe someone can throw me a bone here.

Watch this video:

This issue has been ongoing for quite some time. It's random as to when it happens, with seemingly no reason. It can happen when I'm actually using it, or I can wake up in the morning with it dead. And it's been randomly happening for over a year, with seemingly no resolution in sight.

Once I left it and called my RSP, and 48 hours later, somehow, the NBN tech reset it from the distribution box (or exchange, or wherever). Usually, I have to either whack it as per the video, or unplug the power for a period of time (sometimes it's 5 seconds, but sometimes I've had to leave it unplugged for 10 minutes).

I personally think it's a hardware fault, and the NTD needs to be replaced. Usually percussive maintenance fixing a fault is an indicator of a dry solder joint or some other bad connection, but I'm having trouble convincing anyone else of this.

Anyone seen anything like this? Anyone work for NBNco that can give me a clue? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

2. caspian

caspian Member

the next time it happens, leave it like that. report it to your ISP. if they ask you to powercycle it or anything else, apply this concept:

[​IMG]

once you've got them to raise an incident with NBN, PM me and I'll get the NTD changed out for you.

3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

All this, get it replaced.

4. samboy

samboy Member

Just call them out to replace it, don't waste your time on it.

more than likely it just needs to be replaced.

5. OP
    OP
    rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Already done, they've escalated it with NBN who have supposedly been forwarded the above video (apparently exetel staff can't view youtube vids) and after remote testing, they can't find a fault (which, while it's bloody working, they wouldn't).

And it just did it AGAIN, not 40 minutes after I fixed it (it faulted at 10.50am, I called support AND emailed them with details, then went out, leaving it in the faulty state, fixed it when I got home at 4.18pm).

6. Copie

Copie Member

Just run 400v through it, problem solved. They will then definitely replace it.

Serves you right for using a trash provider, if it was Aussiebroadband it would of been organised by now.

7. caspian

caspian Member

cool. now PM me the details of where the service is installed so I can find the ticket.

8. alch

alch Member

Hows the PCB look? Any obvious solder issues?

9. OP
    OP
    rickbishop

rickbishop Member

If aussie broadband had 24/7 support I could have justified the extra money.
    It's not really conducive to getting NBNco to replace their shit by tampering with it. They would likely say that I broke it and try to charge me.

10. Copie

Copie Member

24/7 support is pointless if they are a pack of moronic fucktards who are incapable of thinking beyond a script

11. OP
    OP
    rickbishop

rickbishop Member

That's the point. I would have spent the extra if they had 24/7 support. As it is, I couldn't justify the extra for exactly the same amount of support.

Not that support is really that valuable to me. I use my own router, so it's only when there's an actual infrastructure fault that I ever talk to them (and it's been that way since I got Optus cable in 1998).

12. samboy

samboy Member

Get them on the phone, be nice. Explain your issue and push your point. Hopefully, the person on the other end will sort it out, otherwise push a complaint and say you will go to the ombudsman.

13. Copie

Copie Member

So by your own words you don’t need support as you run your own infrastructure, and the fact that now you are having an issue they are useless fucks about getting onto the problem.

There is more to an RSP then just their support, and given Exetel regularly ranks lower then just about everyone on the market gives you an indication of how shit they are.

14. OP
    OP
    rickbishop

rickbishop Member

I've got my doubts that even aussie broadband would have been able to do any different than what I've got.

Even they have to deal with NBNco.

15. caspian

caspian Member

having just had a look at the two tickets raised for the service to date, I would be putting my money on ABB from a communication standpoint.

16. OP
    OP
    rickbishop

rickbishop Member

End result is the NTD got replaced yesterday, and I woke up this morning to the missus telling me that it had fallen over again. She wiggled the power input to the NTD and it came back, only to fall over again 5 minutes later.

So it looks like the fault lies in the power cable coming from the battery backup. Luckily I got a standard PSU from the tech just in case, and I removed the battery backup and plugged the PSU in, and it's been fine ever since.

Not having the battery backup for the NTD is largely irrelevant for me, as it's only supposed to run the UNI-V ports in the event of a power failure and I no longer have a phone plugged into it. I HAVE been meaning to get a new UPS though, so maybe this will be the catalyst for doing so.

17. caspian

caspian Member

that got changed years ago, all provisioned ports are now power protected if you have the battery backup supply.