1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

NBN Speed Tiers vs local devices / users

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by th3_hawk, Jul 30, 2020.

1. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

While looking up some details on various plans for a friend today I stumbled over this little table on TPGs website.... which left me wondering about the "# of simultaneous users / devices (approx.)" field.

upload_2020-7-30_9-46-12.png

Had a bit of a laugh to myself and my 60 current devices connected to the network (In the last 7 days there have been 74 unique devices connected so a few must be off right now :p ). A few are internal only, like IP cams and WAPs, plenty are very very low usage like smart switches but then there is also five pretty heavy users across multiple devices. Having different music streaming in multiple rooms + video streaming + gaming + video conferencing + browsing is a normal day at home at the moment. If I could move beyond 100/40 I would (Aussie Broadbands 1000/50 looks very attractive if only I was on FTTP rather than FTTC).

So how many devices do you have at home and what speed tier are you rocking?

2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I mean, it sounds like your experience is exactly in line with the table? You have five heavy simultaneous users + many low usage devices on 100/40....6-9 simultaneous users sounds like a totally reasonable way of expressing that.

Also on 100/40, just me by myself so there's one simultaneous user....well, more like three with the server running and my phone on top of whichever other device I'm using. Probably a dozen IP devices on the network? My smartlights are Hue (zigbee) so only one IP address for all of them.

3. caspian

caspian Member

it really shouldn't take much thought to understand that the table refers to users/devices simultaneously consuming sizeable amounts of bandwidth. a smart switch not in active use doesn't count. a smart switch in active use still doesn't count.

and if your household has an abnormally high level of usage, then you're not "typical".

callan and Pugs like this.
  4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah, they're unlikely to include a row in the table for "# of simultaneous Twitch streamers who never pause seeding their Linux ISOs"

5. power

power Member

i'm glad 4k streaming mass market video has taken off, it makes me look more typical to the outside world - capacity wise that is.

6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

The definition of typical may change if the majority could attain higher speeds.

As mentioned there is much interest in buying uncompressed UHD films with Atmos audio and 8K TV's now being sold.

Why do you keep fighting against a clear demand for a service?

JSmith

7. caspian

caspian Member

I have access to some quite detailed traffic reporting that says otherwise. obviously it's not perfect for an assortment of reasons, but it's more than adequate to see clear trends in usage by application. while streaming video is definitely a driver in overall bandwidth consumption, it is by no means the predominant one.

because I have more visibility of the actual data than you could ever aspire to have, and as a result of that plus repeated observations, I know full well that your opinions on the subject are inaccurate and immaterial.

this is one of those "I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter" moments. smarter, in this case, means listening to those who know what they are talking about instead of being the resident Karen about the subject.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Hive and Pugs like this.
  8. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

That's great... but I assume it's not data from the future. Not sure why you didn't address my fair point that the definition of typical usage may change if higher speeds are attainable.
    You could have fooled me with some of the feigned insults in your post... anyway if this is something you aspire to as I have mentioned in the past you're welcome to send me a PM, I'm quite reasonable.

I'm happy to learn from others, however you come across regularly as having a vested interest in the subject which appears to skew any consideration of objection to your supposedly learned views.

So tell us all, what is NBN's plan about the free period of extra CVC?

JSmith

9. caspian

caspian Member

yeah, let me just disseminate commercially sensitive information publicly. stupid question.

as usual, this has rapidly devolved into the sort of experience that puts me off wanting to participate here at all.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Going from 100Mbit cable to 100/20 NBN tomorrow. Currently have probably about 50-60 devices connected in total.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm not sure how that really means much though.

In Australia we have plenty of 4k TV's, but nothing to watch, which is often the fault of the player, the streaming service not having or disallowing it, or the internet connection.

Streaming is very very popular these days, therefore the amount of bandwidth each person uses is not decided by the average consumer, companies have control over consumer bandwidth usage.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  12. caspian

caspian Member

I know what you mean, but it doesn't really alter the point I am making. for whatever the reason, there isn't much 4K streaming happening, so the bandwidth usage isn't there.

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Well at least the ACCC has a little clout for once;

https://www.zdnet.com/article/bravo...gging-nbn-overprovisioning-as-15-speed-boost/
    ... power cycle needed.

JSmith

14. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

I remember reading somewhere that the #1 chewer of domestic bandwidth was bit torrent traffic by a considerable margin - guessing that is still the case?

15. caspian

caspian Member

I don't have data going back as far as I would like, but from what I can see, the availability (and ability to access) decent streaming services has cut way down on P2P. personally I think it proves many of the points made made by the "don't make me steal" digital manifesto. people will pay a reasonable price for content if it is reasonably available.

Rass and Symon like this.
  16. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

It's been proven a few times in the past, iTunes, Netflix etc. Give content at a reasonable price and piracy will go down. But the way things are going with exclusivity piracy will go up again. No one wants to subscribe to 3 or more providers just to see everything they want.

caspian likes this.
  17. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Try telling Apple TV+ that model and they will laugh at you. Lucky for 7 day free trial.

18. caspian

caspian Member

piracy is hard work. searching for stuff, dealing with webshit, malware, torrents that won't complete, hardcoded Korean subs. back when Avatar hit disc it retailed for $19.99 and I bought it on sight. $35 is ridiculous, I'll pirate it. with a Netflix HD sub for $20 I decommissioned my Kodi box the other week because it's not worth the work to keep chasing repos.

no, I don't care what the industry thinks - reasonable price is set by what the user is willing to pay for the product, not what the industry thinks they can extort from users by virtue of being a sole supplier. we have an alternative, we'll just use technology to steal it, and by and large that can't be stopped - once the content is released, there are nearly 8 billion people the planet they are pissing off, and someone will figure out how to beat anything they devise as a lock. if they were smart they'd pay more to hire smarter people, and if they were really smart they'd realise that's a zero-sum game and just go with the flow and make a reasonable profit, not an extortionate one.

but as I have been saying for some years, I doubt the old dogs in the industry are going to learn new tricks now, it's just beyond their ken that they're no longer in sole control. they'll need to die out before the attitude leaves with them.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not really. That sounds like the experience of a pirate from back in the late 90's.

20. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

This is how I roll...

[​IMG]

:Pirate:

JSmith

MR CHILLED likes this.