NBN technician says "Telstra are the best"

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Tim_Servo, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Tim_Servo

Tim_Servo New Member

Hey guys,

I've just had the NBN technician drop off and install my HFC modem (no idea what speed yet, it's still activating) and one thing he said puzzled me:

"You won't get better than Telstra, they buy more bandwidth so you're going to get higher speeds with Telstra."

This goes against pretty much everything I've ever read regarding ISPs. It seems the vast majority of users on here are with providers who aren't Telstra for good reason?

Is there any validity to what he is saying?

2. Copie

Copie Member

And you believe his shit? he doesnt know squat.

timace likes this.
  3. tensop

tensop Member

is he even allowed to say that? :)

4. caspian

caspian Member

as a private individual he can say what he likes, as long as he doesn't represent himself as speaking on behalf of the company. I tend to stay out of those sort of discussions because some people don't seem to be able to make that differentiation.

I'll will make a couple of points:

(a) no install tech has any visibility of that sort of detail, which makes the statement more an opinion.
    (b) what you care about is how much average bandwidth per user that gets purchased, not the aggregate total. Telstra probably do have the highest total, due to their customer base.
    (c) the ACCC peak hour speed test results are freely published and are based on on real measurements. https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/internet-landline-services/broadband-performance-data
    (d) peak hour speed, like price, should only be one of the factors considered when selecting a providers. others I would base my personal decision on are reliability, communication, customer service, on-shore Australian support, and quality such as good latency and routing.

BAK, Alby1976 and TheWedgie like this.
  5. xplod140

xplod140 Member

He's talking about peak speeds when everyone's online. Telstra is likely to give you less congestion than some smaller resellers but not all.

6. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I'm with Telstra and fttn. During peak times my speed does not change all that much, which surprised me.

My family and friends on HFC with cheaper companies like tpg etc have terrible speed drops and lag during peak times. When they should technically have better than me.

My thinking was that everyone else around me is a tight arse, so not many would pay for Telstra and the lines wouldn't be congested :lol:

7. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

I'll trade you some speed for reliability and lower latency. Many factors make up a connection and not one is supreme,

Arguably Telstra may have that over, some but not all. Price wise however they suck.

8. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I've been with them for 7 years. ADSL prior to NBN. Had maybe 3 blackouts I can recall.
    Their new modems come with a 4g backup, it's slow speed but doesn't leave you high and dry when it's needed.

Everyone has different experiences with them.

Expensive, yes.

9. rireland

rireland Member

their network is solid, most complaints are about the price but with bundling and some negotiating you can get a reasonable deal.

Vo0do0 likes this.
  10. clonex

clonex Member

I just hotspot of my phone

11. Pugs

Pugs Member

been on the Big T for 6 years of HFC, switched to ABB when i had NBN put on... no issues

12. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

13. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I can honestly state that I'd rather talk to the wall than Telstra support, I think the wall would be more helpful.

bcann and JSmithDTV like this.
  14. caspian

caspian Member

no, because the ACCC has largely scared them into actually buying enough CVC to do the job, or they'd have to drop their advertised peak hour speeds which they don't want to do.

the ACCC reporting does not support that though.

why?

the only thing that congests is the ISP's CVC, and if Telstra didn't have many customers, they would simply dimension their CVC to less bandwidth. congestion actually becomes less of a problem as the customer based goes up (assuming the average bandwidth per user is maintained) because individual users can cause less variation to the overall CVC utilisation. that was one of the factors that caused CVC congestion when FTTN initially went in; it was delivered in so many areas, so fast, that many providers could not keep up with the cost of all of the CVCs.

15. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Price aside, my Telstra NBN cable never fluctuates below ~80M during peak hours. Before NBN it would basically never dip below 90M even at 9PM.
    I don't even use their crappy modem so I've never enjoyed the wonders of their 4G backup, that's how often I've needed it.

You're likely to get a better deal elsewhere for sure.
    Probably worth trying to ask other HFC users in your area, as HFC is a contended medium your experience may likely be different.

16. Sunder

Sunder Member

I'm with Telstra because:

1. My boss foots the bill.
    2. It's been more reliable than Optus/Exetel, which are the only other ones I have been with.
    3. Like all support, they are a nightmare to deal with, BUT one of the easy things to get out of them if you have a support ticket, is an extra 10Gb/day on you mobile each day your main line is down. Take your time Telstra technician. I get 100/4 on my HFC, but 230/50 on 4G.

17. hlokk

hlokk Member

While not a huge difference between them, it would be interesting to see the spread. Does one provider have a few percent chance that you’ll get a major decrease even if most aren’t affected?

The reliability shows a huge difference for one of the providers!
    434B73BD-C477-4CB6-A359-3FFB5C8D05B1.png

Optus skews the results but notice that Telstra has almost twice the outages of TPG

18. power

power Member

Andy told me NBN is trash, all hail Telstra.

19. mtma

mtma Member

IME the more obvious difference is how the providers handle the international links. How quickly they re-route if at all when there is a problem with the link providers, and the quality of the link providers they choose.

Of course a user can try a 'gaming VPN' service on any provider to get around that, but that costs money too...

20. caspian

caspian Member

Andy, like all snake oil salesmen, would tell you his product cured cancer if he thought it would increase your chance of buying it.

what do you want to bet that if Andy was allowed to buy the NBN tomorrow, with nothing else changed, his opinion would magically reverse?