NBN technician says "Telstra are the best"

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Tim_Servo, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Pik0

Pik0 Member

Considering Telstra supplies probably 70% of backhaul from the POI to the ISP's network and 50% of the whole NBN market, they have a pretty good redundancy and capacity in place.

2. darknebula

darknebula Member

I would honestly take anything an NBN tech says with a grain of salt.

Next time ask him the pros and cons or telstra vs ABB vs superloop , i'm sure you'll get a well thought out reply...

3. melatonin

melatonin Member

He probably just wanted to have a chat and waste 15 minutes, my NBN installer waxed lyrically about what a shit show it all is

4. koss

koss Member

Spoke to a 80 year old granny about the experience of trying to find out from Telstra what to set her outgoing SMTP server to after being forced to NBN because they were killing the copper in her area so no more ADSL. From what I can tell, all the Tier 1 telcos suck at Internet support.

5. caspian

caspian Member

why would she need to change it? the access technology switching over doesn't mean the provider's mail server is different.

6. Pik0

Pik0 Member

80 year old granny knows about outgoing SMTP?

7. Hive

Hive Member

And when it breaks you are fucked. Telstra don't have technical support, only emotional support via script reading.

NBN guy likely couldn't make it as a sparky so got in on the bandwagon of crappy NBN installs. When the initial rollout of NBN is done he will go back to airtasker unlicensed electrical work.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  8. Clubby

Clubby Member

This guy..

<<<---- Works for an RSP (retail service provider formally isp)
    <<<---- Works in NBN (And ADSL, Cable, Fixed Wireless, Wireless Broadband etc ect ect)
    <<<---- Is definitely Australian
    <<<---- Can tell you the exact reasoning some RSP's NBN is better than other RSP's NBN

Each and every RSP buys bandwidth from NBNCO. NBNCO charges XYZ per MB/S. How cheaper RSP's get the prices down is by oversubscribing each Link. They work on average consumer per link at XYZ time of the day. The bigger RSP's have a higher price point as they have less over subscription. Some RSP's run @ around 40% over subscription to 1 link. Most of the time you might only have 10 users on the link and get great speeds. Then during peak time you now have 40% users over subscribed on the link. Hence why the evening speeds are generally slower on most RSP's. Every RSP oversubscribes because having bandwidth not being used just burns money.

It is the level of over subscription that can dictate what each RSP charge their retail customers. The higher the percentage of over subscription, the lower the price. Yes, RSP's can charge very little and the customer can still get great speeds, because the link is not saturated YET.

The price of the supplied link is the same for EVERY RSP including the bigger ones. No RSP gets a discount from NBNCO for the link. When capacity is reached most RSPs will upgrade.

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  9. shino

shino Member

is internode good still?

10. chook

chook Member

I find them fine. Since TPG bought them the quality of the technical support can be a little hit and miss however I haven't had to call them often which is just how I like it. The main reasons I have called them were just after switching from ADSL over to FTTN. Given that I only have 76m of copper from the node my experience is likely to not be representative of the majority.

11. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

What are you refereeing to when you use the term link? CVC /AVC other?

Because I'm pretty sure there's a discount on larger CVC orders. Some deal that was struck per user and CVC.

CVC pricing was one of the many requests from ISP's when NBN began and their inability to perform at peak congestion periods because of the price to adequately cater for enough CVC.

When you say this Guy... are you trying to say your that guy followed by all that other stuff? You seem like someone that works at NBN.

12. THE D

THE D Member

13. Confused_Bull_Ant

Confused_Bull_Ant New Member

Depending on what part of Australia you are in, the NBN is not what it’s meant to be. Living in rural Australia my NBN is terrible. Having to rely on a mobile phone towers for a connection is not what I call, great. Telstra only has a vast monopoly is because it’s the company that has the most coverage Aus wide. It’s the only reason we are with them as it’s the only reception in the area mobile wise.

14. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Correct me if I'm wrong. But wouldn't "average speed tests" be an incorrect way to judge overall performance..

Because big companies like Telstra would be the only ones who service remote areas, and their speeds are slow because of the distance.

So smaller companies who don't service remote areas would have better average speeds in these comparisons

15. caspian

caspian Member

measuring the real world is hard, because of the range of factors involved. this is the best attempt I have seen at it yet.

what measure would you propose instead? how would the methodology and means of measurement work?

why is distance is factor? assuming bandwidth is not a factor, which it is not, then the variable with distance is latency. multithreaded TCP has log since overcome the issues of latency on TCP windowing.

that is not something borne out by the limitations of modern network engineering, unless the providers themselves also introduce a variable of different CVC contention ratios for POIs with a lower number of connections, which in of itself makes the fixed costs of servicing a POI higher, plus the costs of remote backhaul.

perhaps the ACCC could address that by introducing per-POI granularity in their reporting, for people that want to delve into it that far.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm with Telstra, have been for a long time, overall I'm very happy with the product I'm getting.

17. power

power Member

oh no, like all shills he will say that they have inherited a mess of the NBN's creation and that they have a new plan called 2020 v2 that will fix everything but in the short term they have added a quality assurance team to resolve the most pressing issues before the end of the quarter to bring us the next generation fiber network we all deserve, then we will have an ad campaign with people dancing round and having great experiences with their technology.

caspian likes this.
  18. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I was with Telstra and now I am TPG and I couldnt be fuckin happier.

Fuck Telstra!

19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

And drones, and VR headsets, and people doing minority report shit, because technology.

20. caspian

caspian Member

hey, it's sexier than paying enough to get and retain the right people, training them effectively, and then providing them with the support and tools they need to do their job.