NBN technician says "Telstra are the best"

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Tim_Servo, Sep 14, 2019.

1. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I want an ad where they have cardboard cutouts of all that shit, and then the camera pans to a bunch of 3rd world call centre workers holding up the cardboard cutouts, along with a some blokes duct taping all the cutouts together.
    The second shot would be that of slaves on a giant treadmill that slowly and laboriously sends packets onto a conveyor belt along with refilling Andy's champagne flute.

Overlaid the whole thing would the big flashing letters "owned by Mom and Pop investors" and a voiceover from John Laws or some other dickhead like that

2. Slug69

Slug69 Member

I have been with Telstra now for 6 months. Very happy with the performance. (Better latency than previous vendor - Optus Cable) I am on NBN HFC now and changeover with Telstra was smooth.

Their phone support though...woeful doesn't begin to describe just how bad it is. For instance - I called them to activate my speedboost to take me from 50Mbps to 100Mbps download speeds I was on the phone for 40 minutes. They didn't need to have me on the phone for that length of time. Optus is far better in my experience with these kind of calls.

But still, I can afford to pay for the best performance at the moment so I will.

3. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

One other thing to add: $ISP can buy oodles of CVC from NBN technically giving them the best 'peak speed' and cheap out on overseas peering/capacity resulting in piss poor performance for updates and gaming. This has happened to me personally and the only thing to do is churn.

4. caspian

caspian Member

yep, absolutely. I fairly regularly can't watch Youtube at any decent resolution during peak hours on Telstra (not NBN). start a VPN with an endpoint back in my own city and the issue vanishes. I blame Telstra deliberately cheaping out on the link to Youtube's local CDN because it would cost them money to do it properly. same problem with Facebook. speed tests are not an issue because they prioritise routing to them to hide the issue.

5. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

This thread reminded me that I've been with Telstra for a while now. Called them up and told them aussiebb are offering me unlimited 100 for $99, so they reduced my bill to $90pm :leet:

Tim_Servo and Slug69 like this.
  6. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Probably the only reason I'm with Telstra is because I work for them and if sh#t hits the fan, I have avenues (and I know who) to escalate my issue to get it resolved quickly. The staff discount is decent (25% off) but if I didn't work for them, I would definitely go AussieBB

7. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

:lol: Almost Sig worthy comment.
    Don't even get me started on their support.

I've found Telstra 4G is better than a lot of other providers NBN though. I can't make a comment on Telstra NBN, as I gave up on wired connection before I tried them.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Same, probably going on 20 years now. But unsure is that will last when I need nbn.

9. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Look, I mean, I've been with telstra for ages on 4g too, because their network coverage is unbeatable and I have a certain fondness for riding motorcycles with a tent on the back in to the middle of bumfuck nowhere australia. But their customer interface side is beyond attrocious, I have no idea how they even manage to tie their shoelaces each morning. I cant imagine why in a million years you'd go for them when it's not even on their network. The only australian utilities company I've encountered that even comes close to reaching their level of shear incompetence is Origin

nav likes this.
  10. caspian

caspian Member

I persevere with Telstra for mobiles for the same reason - the network is excellent, despite the staff and management.

11. Copie

Copie Member

It’s why I use their live support via the app, they tend to be a fair bit faster. Their business support is woeful regardless

12. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I find that it's the first level operators that have no idea. They are obviously flooded with information and read off scripts.
    But when I speak to technical assistants or above, they tend to do a much better job.

13. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Isn’t the next level premium support? Which you have to pay for?

I rung Telstra a year ago and said I want to change my DNS settings in my router. They said that they can’t do that but if I subscribe to their premium service they will be able to help me. So I swapped to tpg and I don’t need to beg for permission to change basic settings in my router any more

14. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

I guess at the end of the day you get what you pay for.. :)
    If the cheaper service purchased works as intended then happy days!

were paying 89$ for Telstra FTTC 100/40 service, its rock solid and rarely drops below 94-95 all day and also during peak times. theres the odd day it drops down real low but usually at work and dont notice it..
    Unlimited data
    free speed boost
    $200 of bigpond movies
    Telstra TV 2
    Smartmodem with 4G fallback (thats currently sitting in its box in the shed not getting used)

they are bleeding customers from every orifice, and will bend over to retain them, if you're prepared to haggle you can get the same value if not better than some of the other RSPs

*however* if not for these discounts we got offered, we'd be off in a flash to another RSP
    but suspect we'd be back to Telstra in 12 months, like we've done plenty of times before..

So long as the service has no issue, providing no need to call them, the product is solid.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  15. tobes

tobes Member

Why are all the stats for download rates? I care about upload as well....

16. power

power Member

can't confuse people with two speeds.

17. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

18. tobes

tobes Member

Thanks! You running a Unifi Security Gateway behind the Telstra Modem?

19. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

no
    the Telstra modem is in its box in the shed.. its the Arcadyan flavoured garbage.. :) having said that i dont know if its Technicolor variant is much better.
    It only comes out and gets plugged into our network "if theres an outage" and need to log into work. fortunately its not gone down yet for me to have to find it : )

I can only imagine what an ordeal a Unifi network and Telstra gateway would be together.
    that scenario would be best left alone ..: )
    they way we are set up here the change over process is quick and easy..(providing i can find the Telstra modem) Cable from NCD into Telstra modem. Cable from Telstra modem into Unifi switch and our network is up again _all be it slowly_ on 4G until the outage is resolved, then reverse the process back to the USG : )

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  20. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

Would be fine if you can put the telstra kit into bridged mode. Out of curiosity - are you on twisted pairs to the curb ? Do you know what SC you have?