NBN technician says "Telstra are the best"

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Tim_Servo, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

you can do that on the Telstra modem thing, i just choose not to use it unless i have to :)

When the NBN guy showed up to do our install he needed to replace the cable from the pole to the house, he also bypassed all the existing internal phone cabling and ran all new cable to 1 point next to our network rack.
    he was even insistent on us using this particular cable between the phone socket and the NCD, to me it looks like a phone cable.. but obviously there is something about it that makes it different to normal every day cable.. so in reality its all new from and including the DPU in the pit to the phone socket in the house/NCD - twisted pairs? no clue - i assumed they replaced it with whatever regulation cable they needed to use..

Not sure what SC is?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  2. tobes

tobes Member

I don't think you can run on Bridged Mode with the new modems and get the 4G failover.

3. Vo0do0

Vo0do0 Member

Correct - If you bridge you lose!

Without the 4g fallback functionality its kind of a moot point having it connected inline with everything else..
    And although i cannot speak for the Technicolor variant - the Arcadyan LH1000 really is a giant piece of steaming garbage.
    As stated earlier up there ^^ if i really need it i'll bypass the USG and plug it in "temporarily"
    - I suspect it will forever rot in its packaging in the shed.. even if the internet does fail there's every chance we may "go outside", or worst case - we may even communicate as a family : )

I may get my wife to crochet a nice coloured wrapping for it and use it as a novelty door stop :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  4. tobes

tobes Member

I haven't seen a good Unifi Fallback setup yet but if you come across one let me know. But I have access to effectively free mobile data currently as long as I don't start streaming HD content or being an idiot with it/

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I'm running my own off Telstra NBN cable right now, but protip: RUN OFF THE TELSTRA STOCK ONE FIRST UNTIL YOUR ORDER IS PROVISIONED IN THE SYSTEM. If you don't stick the Telstra stock one on, your line never 'activates' in the Telstra backend because it relies on some automatic phone-home system (on the stock Telstra gateway) and THE DRONES HAVE NO WAY OF MANUALLY ACTIVATING YOUR ORDER. EVen if it works 100%. I gave up arguing and stuck the stock one on for a day or 2 then flipped back to my own.
    Also if you have a fault they will insist on you connecting the stock telstra one.
    Basically the system assumes you only use the Telstra router/wifi and has literally no provision for BYO.

6. chook

chook Member

What kind of stupid thinking is this? How is it possible to phosfluorescently visualise sticky process improvements by doing that?

7. caspian

caspian Member

yeah, I know. and more importantly, the consultants you hired at great expense to tell you how to fix your business couldn't justify their inflated prices unless they could come up with something trendy and full of buzzwords to recommend. they wouldn't get paid if their recommendation was stuff we all know should be done, their job is to deliver an impossible solution.

8. chook

chook Member

Ah, I see you have KPI'd before ;).

9. caspian

caspian Member

mate, I have been KPI'd by the best of them. I got set a "stretch target" of under one third of what other less skilled people got, following the usual blind corporate ignorance that hard work gets rewarded with more work assigned. :rolleyes: luckily I tunneled my way out of that particular PHB-managed hellhole shortly afterwards.

I then got my own back on that particular set of fuckwits a few years later when they were hired again and proposed conveniently moving a few goalposts to make their apparent "achievements" look better. I was by then in a position to sign off on their proposed changes from a business point of view, and I shredded the lot with some pointed comments that that they had absolutely zero fucking idea about the technicalities of what they were proposing, that they were pulling numbers out of their arses to make themselves look good, and that several of the changes they had proposed would actually cause significant deterioration in the stability and performance of our product to our customers. management fired them the following day.

and then I got to do the same thing again, to the same people, a couple of years ago. :leet:

bcann, TheWedgie, chook and 2 others like this.
  10. caspian

caspian Member

someone asked me what "moving the goalposts" meant.

what this set of twits did was focus on truck roll rates as a major cost to the business. that's fine in of itself, as long as they did it the right way, which would mean stuff like:

- looking at compliance testing completeness before potentially dispatching a truck unnecessarily
    - analysis of dirty truck rolls for causes and patterns that could lead to training or system improvements
    - repeat fault analysis to identify shortfalls in testing or process, or poor field fixes or compliance testing
    - perhaps initiating an engineering assessment of the current standards to determine if a small relaxation would be of overall benefit in cost reduction, with full visibility of the propensity for service impact.

did they do any of this? heck no. what they did was figure out that xx% of truck rolls were due to detected electrical faults, and then propose just relaxing the electrical passmarks for where a truck roll was was warranted to get the numbers they wanted. :rolleyes: the discussion went something like this:

them: do you realise that we can reduce truck rolls by xx% if we reduce the electrical test failure threshold from Y to Z?!?

me: really? what effect will that have on the stability and performance of the service?

them: we haven't gone into that.

me: wow, colour me surprised. have you talked with anyone in the business from the technical support or engineering teams about why those values are the way they are, or what the negative effects would be of changing them?

them: no.

me: do you have any knowledge of electrical engineering, the technical aspects of telecommunications assurance, or practical experience in the field?

them: no, we're not technical people.

me: so what makes you think you're in any position to propose reductions to our technical standards when you have no idea what they mean, enable or impact?

them: they drive a lot of very expensive truck rolls!

me: so in other words, you've empowered yourself to reverse engineer the network assurance standards, with zero knowledge of the repercussions of doing so, solely on the basis that it makes you look good.

them: um, well...

me: if you did the same "process improvement" analysis for Holden, would you think it's OK to recommend that they only tighten up their engine mounting bolts half as much because it would speed up assembly time and save money? or maybe that a hospital cut back on how often they monitor the blood pressure and pulse of post operative patients, because they'd need less nurses if they did? perhaps Qantas should only do engine inspections half as much?

them: um...

me: the problem is you've got no idea of how dangerous any of those things might be. you haven't even bothered to ask the question, because you don't care - all you're worried about it making yourselves look good. if you did, you'd be told to go and drop dead instantly, because what you'd be proposing would be the worst type of uninformed beancounter management, actively dangerous, made with zero knowledge of the reasons involved, and leaving the business to deal with the ongoing repercussions after you've collected your fee and shot through to the next gig. my response is the same, I won't be signing off on any totally unqualified changes with the technical standards of my business.

them: um, we'll have to escalate this.

me: by all means do so. when my general manager hears about it, it will be for the second time, because I'm calling him the moment we finish. my feedback will be that you're proposing to put the quality of our product at risk with zero assessment of the impact to anything other than your wallets.

I wasn't a fly on the wall for the escalation meeting, but suffice to say it didn't go well with my general manager, who had been a field engineer and team leader for many years, and knew damn well why those standards were there.

cvidler likes this.
  11. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

Service Class. Its a NBN classification / code depending on the technology used from POI to your door.

12. caspian

caspian Member

both access technology and the build state of the network to the premises.

for instance, SC0x is original pre-MTM techologies, SC1x is FTTx, SC2x is HFC, SC3x is FTTC.

within that, for FTTN -

SC10 means the premises is planned to receive FTTN, but is not yet serviceable
    SC11 means a service can be ordered, but there is no known intact copper path to the premises, one will need to be designed and built
    SC12 means a copper path is known to exist, but jumpering to the node is required
    SC13 means a fully intact copper path is known to exist, so service activation is logical only (i.e. remote programming)

within that there are then further internal flags that differentiate between SC13 with an active service, SC13 disconnected and available to take etc.

so if an ISP orders a service for an SC12 flagged premises, it triggers a field job for jumpering. the same exists for other technologies where an NTD is required and triggers the appropriate system response.

there is a mostly accurate list here: https://www.tangerinetelecom.com.au/news/what-do-the-nbn-service-classes-all-mean

TheWedgie and tobes like this.