NBN to offer 1GBS at launch - 10x previously promised speed.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by jmart38, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Phat_Jad

Phat_Jad Member

EVERYONE THAT IS SAYING THAT THE QUOTA IS NOT ENOUGH

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE FASTER INTERNET DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU NEED MORE QUOTA, ALTHOUGH THATS WHAT ALL OF US OBVIOUSLY WOULD LIKE

This is quite simply an upgrade of speed making things happen quicker, noone is thinking of the torrents and movies you would like to download endlessly over night, do you realy think the goverment spending of 7 billion is toward TORRENTS and PIRATE SOFTWARE?

Quite simply making things happen alot quicker, there main selling point is how it will improve doctors and farmers by giving them near instantaneous access to everyone else on the web.

ARE WE REALLY ALL 15YR OLDS LOOKING TO CAPITALIZE ON OUR MASSIVE COLLECTION OF MOVIES

2. elstado

elstado Member

Wasn't it about e-commerce/ITC industries?

3. Phat_Jad

Phat_Jad Member

I see you've picked up on what I am talking about. Well done, and thank you for those specifics. Never was too good on detail

4. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Why do you think Akamai is doing so well? ;)

http://www.akamai.com/html/customers/customer_list.html

But you still have the issue of internet availability and quality? What you going to do about that?

5. Quoccus

Quoccus Member

everyone keeps debating about more quota and faster downloads.

I believe this network would bring richer web content.

can you believe what youtube would be like 10 years ago when we only had 56k? there are things now and jobs that never existed 5 years ago because of the internet. There could be high bandwidth content that can be developed to improve our lives that we might not realize yet because the infrastructure never existed.

6. iinsom

iinsom Member

And all filtered by a shitty filter that makes it slow down to current speeds anyway D:

7. hvalac

hvalac Member

Yes that would be the shitty filter that you can remove.....

8. reunig

reunig Member

Yes, I am ;)

9. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Depends on the content you consume of course as well, steam games can be quite large as well (borderlands was nearly 11gb).
    Terrabytes of usage is a bit silly though for most people, but no doubt someone out there can legitimately use it (streaming lossless audio and 1080P content would get there quite easily).
    That's the exception of course.

Personally i'm far more interested in the upstream, 25kb/s means it's pretty hard for me to share my files around everywhere from a server I control.
    10mbit up is a completely different matter :thumbup:

10. Hive

Hive Member

Precisely my point

11. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

In real world cases i doubt we would even get 5mb/s from 100mbit fiber let alone 10mb/s+ from 1Gbps because of our old, slow and small number of international links.

Most of the average joe's internet diet is international, so a national fiber network would not have as much impact on speeds as say, more undersea cables.

12. Duideka

Duideka Member

Our international cables are fine.

I made a post on WP about this: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1511009&p=1

The important part, granted none of the links to my information sources work on copypasta, look at WP for that.

BUILT CABLES:
    JASURAUS – 5Gbit/s
    SEA-ME-WE-3 – 960Gbit/s
    PIPE-PACIFIC-1 – 2.50Tbit/s
    AUSTRALIA-JAPAN-CABLE – 1Tbit/s
    GONDWANA-1 – No source for speed
    SOUTHERN-CROSS – 2.4Tbit/s (2 paths, one to NZ one to LA – 2x 1.2)
    TELSTRA-ENDEVOUR – 1.28Tb/s

Total capacity as of today: 8,145Gb/s

PLANNED CABLES:
    NEXTGEN-PER-JAKARTA – 2.56Tb/s
    PACNET – 12Tb/s ETA: 2013

Total planned: 14.56Tb/s
    Total including existing: 22.705Tb/s

Before reading the below figures, please understand noone provisions enough bandwidth for all to download at once, if you check out the contention ratio wiki you will see such claims, like:

between 20:1 and 50:1 per BT guidelines.

50:1 = a mere 2% usage.
    20:1 = a mere 5% usage.

And those ISP's have no data limits whatsoever, we will have data limits to further allow higher contention ratios. It may seem like a bad business practise but the people who operate ISP's stare at network graphs all day, people don't download every hour of the day.

The below figures assume a 'maximum' of 9 million people (those with a internet connection at present) and a 'minimum' of 450,000 people (5%)

Average speed assuming 100% utilization: 2.5Mb/s
    Average speed assuming 050% utilization: 5.11Mb/s
    Average speed assuming 020% utilization: 12.77Mb/s < Avg DSL sync is 9Mb, fwiw.
    Average speed assuming 010% utilization: 25.55Mb/s
    Average speed assuming 005% utilization: 51.11Mb/s

Note the above figures are symetrical, and 24/7 to international sources

Let's use a reasonable figure, the 10%, that is 10:1 contention ratio – 25.5Mb/s consistent works out to 8TB in a 28 day month. If people did that they would get shaped and slowed down, making the pool of available bandwidth higher. It would be 16TB if you uploaded equally as fast consistently!

NBNco released a paper claiming people will have 2Tb average quotas here spread out evenly over a 28 day month by everyone in Australia this would equal 4*25.55Mb/s – or 102.2Mb/s average speed, above the 100Mb/s mark.

Also note the 102Mb/s average per person over the month assumes everyone downloads the whole 2TB quota, which would not happen. Most have huge quotas and download a few gig a month tops.

The post on WP goes on to discuss the available local bandwidth and whatnot also, under regular usage patterns one can epect 781Mbps average with 375Mbps upload.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  13. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

In other words, 3 times the international link capacity for 10 times the last mile bandwith (plus population growth, which is substantial).

So in terms of percentage utilization of your fibre connection, you'd have less available than existing connections. Just to keep in mind that if you purposely max out your ADSL connection filling your SAN with *Linux ISOs*.. doing the same on fibre would be a lot more expensive !!

By the way, the NextGen Jakarta-Perth cable is probably designed to provide South East Asia with cheaper international traffic than the other way around !! Indonesia is notorious for having really, really crappy and expensive International links. That Jakarta-Perth cable is probably intended to make use of "cheap" onward links from Australia !!

14. Duideka

Duideka Member

Ofcourse you will have less than we do now, but that makes no difference if you can't reach what could be your share of the bandwidth pool at current, or even with a 1Gb/s link.

For example look at the Telstra endevour cable - even with Telstra actually being competetative now (200GB for $69), and most of Telstra's data running over it, read this:

http://telstrawholesale.com/products/international/international-data-transport/endeavour-cable.htm

Sure. It can run at 1.28Tbps, but it is currently running at 80Gbps. Doesent that say something to you? They are not even bothering to power the rest of the cable up?

So, the largest Telco in Australia that actually does offer 100Mbps on Cable at current (to Melbourne) - and 30Mb/s elsewhere, tens of thousands of DSL and wireless customers, along with alot of corporate customers - is running on 80Gbps bandwidth?

What about Internode. They are being competetative now also, 200GB for south of $100

http://www.internode.on.net/pdf/network/internode-international-ip-network.pdf

I count a mere 15Gb/s there.

Exetel even provide unlimited for some plans. They must use alot right?

6Gb/s: http://public.mrtg.exetel.com.au/bwsummary/ExetelBandwidthSummary.html

People really overestimate how many people jump on the net and start flawing their connection at once. I am confident all of Australia's internet needs could be served singlehandidly by PPC-1 even if we were on 1Gb/s FTTH.

15. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Wouldn't matter. We could put in the most rediculous fat pipe to the US and you'd still not see more than 500kb/s for many sites on the internet because of what is after that, and after that, and what their end server is on.

Then what about Europe? What about South America? What about Africa? What about Asia? We going to build massive connections to every possible endpoint?

The speed is irrelevant at a certain point - for example if it is fast enough to stream audio, its fast enough. If its enough to stream video, its fast enough. We negate this for things like Steam by putting the content as close as possible.

16. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Fascinating posts Duideka, thought i'd say thanks for putting them up :)

17. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

Thats because it costs a fair amount of money to put in the associated bits and pieces to make use of the spare capacity. Kinda like buying a big block of land now and just building a small house on it. Down the track you have plans to put in a big multi-story apartment block on it.

New cables like PACNET would most likely be the same as well, you're not going to get 12TB capacity up front. It'll be something much smaller to start off with.

Anyway, on a cost per/GB basis, I doubt it'd improve as quickly as local loop speeds improve. But its always been that way. Dialup modems needs a relatively high contention ratio, ADSL lower, Fibre would be lower again.

But it does still preclude the idea of backing up Terabytes on a weekly basis to a US server (unless you're prepared to pay business prices).

I think the stats for HK is that 1 Gbps users in average only uses 50% more traffic than 100 Mbps users.

18. FiShy

FiShy Member

Its 2 pairs, the whole thing is powered up.... just not fully multiplexed :p

19. LeadAccelerator

LeadAccelerator Member

Upgrade the back-haul to every exchange in the country including the bush, that way the existing copper wires can be used to their maximum and worry about upgrading to FTTH later on once the back-haul upgrade is paid for, this would mean everyone in the country would have access to ADSL2+ speeds even out bush (so doctors and hospitals have the access needed, though they could get fiber direct to the bush hospitals as well) instead of just making the city access speed unnecessarily faster at a huge cost.

The NBN is just a vote grab by using the latest shiny thing.

How many PC's would be able to use gigabit speeds, aren't most average person's (sheeple who fall for the filter ploy) PC's only capable of using 100mb network cards due to them not understanding technology and still having old PC's without PCI-E or on board gigabit network ports?

20. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

Many nations have a government owned national broadband network.

We used too until Coward sold it in 99'

I fail to see how the NBN will have a negative impact at all.

Most PC's have Gigabit network (pretty much standard from 2005) and Wireless N so your point is moot there.

Fiber if done right can be fantastic, as China, Japan and Korea have demonstrated.

your a bad troll, go back to your copper covered rock.