NBN to offer 1GBS at launch - 10x previously promised speed.

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by jmart38, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

probably correct for the consumer market, until some overseas shipping vessel tears it up with an anchor ;)

most towns have DSL services, just take a look at the telstra wholesale website DSL availability reports. DSLAM back-haul isn't the issue, there is a large amount of people who live too far from an dslam to even get adsl.

The NBN was proposed by previous governments and actioned by the present government, this was when the previous leader was at the helm, it's hardly a vote grab, it's a necessity for homes / business / service delivery.

why do we need the NBN, take a look at this: http://www.fanden.com.au/phone_fax_line_problems_may2006.htm

I don't know about you, but if you were in that position I bet you wouldn't have made such a moronic post, stop thinking about how this affects you and start considering the impact to others.

don't get me started on CBD HF noise causing retrains of G.703 (SHDSL) tails, there goes 30 active voice calls, thanks for calling.

stop thinking 1999, an infrastructure deployment is about catering to the needs of society in 10+ years, not today's tech, when investing in a national infrastructure project of this magnitude, you want flexibility.

It's people like you holding this great country back.

2. Duideka

Duideka Member

Very wrong.

Firstly, Copper wires are being used to their maximum right now - exceptions RIM's. Copper cannot magically go faster just because the exchange you connect to has more backhaul..
    Secondly, Most of the places in the bush are too far from the exchange to get ADSL. My dad lives in regional WA and wanted broadband, and could not work out why noone would offer it to him. I put his number into a checker and got a response he was over 100km from his exchange!!! He ended up taking up satelitte.

What?

You do realize the NBN aims for 93% coverage with the rest better-than-available-now wireless and satelitte?

It's Abbot's plan that won't do anything for regional users. The NBN will do everything possible for regional users.

3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

is it just me or they're just proposing it to make the slowdown caused by the filter to be a mute point?

4. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Can you even hear yourself?! Do you not understand how ADSL2+ works? Even in the suburbs there are issues with ADSL2+ - damage or interference to the current infrastructure which isn't enough to cause issues to voice services can easily disable ADSL, not to mention technologies that work perfectly well with voice services are incompatible with ADSL which would mean major construction work just to fix or completely replace problem areas.

Which would cost a fair chunk of money for an infrastructure which is no better than what was available a decade ago.

5. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Does "upgrading backhall" fix my issue that I cannot get ADSL because I'm stuck on a pair gain with three other houses? Will Telstra go and install 3 new pairs of copper wire for each house? Bet the answer is no. What about those stuck on RIMS?

I've always preferred to use Cable for internet, because the speed is just better, and its always reliable.

People who state that fibre will be slow and won't reach close to its speed, I don't think they are stating facts, you just need to look at Bigpond and Optus cable networks to see that they do deliver.

Why spend money on an old broken copper network that was never designed to even supply internet, which has far to many conditions and limitations such as distance, quality of wire, pair gains, rims. These factors all effect your speed, many people would be lucky to get over 10Mbps connection, most are 2.5-3.5+KM away from the exchange.

Bring on the NBN I say. All the crap about the price's rising, we already have a rough idea from a few ISP's already, if you need to look.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  6. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

Are you saying he has a voice line that goes for over 100km from the exchange ?

7. slix_88

slix_88 Member

People really need to be educated on the amount of potential FTTH (proposed by NBN) holds.

Yes, you people are right about most people not having any need for 1000Mbps. Those wanting that service will be forking out a slight premium which has a relatively minor impact on additional costs for NBN Co. However, I would suffice for even 25Mbps as I don't live next door to a telephone exchange to get those speeds. Upgrading the backhaul won't do any good as ATTENUATION plays a major factor in achieving optimal speeds (for ADSL2+) over existing copper wires.

FTTH is the way to go. NOT EVERYONE will be subscribing to 100Mbps. Fibre isn't only going to be used for internet, but most importantly for telephone and even IPTV. Foxtel has had somewhat of a monopoly. Once the fibre is rolled out, we can start seeing more competition in the industry with cheaper rates. I currently fork out about $90/month for a PayTV service I cannot connect to a PVR off the shelf.

Most importantly, the NBN will integrate the country with the city, making connectivity possible (some areas only have access via satellite mobile) at a much much cheaper rate for the end-users. Mind you, the benefits will be endless over the next countless years to come. This is a LONG-TERM investment which will also be indirectly beneficial for education, medicine, transportation, security etc.

8. ewok85

ewok85 Member

People in these situations get subsidised wireless/satellite services.

We would truly have a system where speed and quota does not matter, but service and features become important. You don't have all sorts of confusing speeds, or restricted to companies because of equipment, you have a simple wholesaler/provider two system situation.

In Japan you choose the wholesaler (NTT or KDDI), depending on that you might have a choice of 100 or 1000mbit, but really the big choice is the provider: things like "If I go with KDDI, who I also have my mobile phone with, and I subscribe to their TV over fibre service I get a discount on all three!", or "If I go with NTT they also give me free 3G wireless!" etc etc.

For the record I have KDDI (because my mobile is also KDDI), with So-net as the provider since they provide a static IP, no upload or port restrictions (I host the sites in my sig at home), and the price was reasonable (3rd cheapest).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  9. Tiberio

Tiberio Member

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...coalition-policy/story-e6frgakx-1225906065069

Telstra warns customers of its ADSL2+ service that about 50 per cent of subscribers on 20Mbps plans can access speeds of only about 10Mbps, lower than the opposition's minimum promise.
    A spokesman for opposition communications spokesman Tony Smith confirmed that the Coalition's broadband plan would use wireless networks to deliver a baseline speed of 12Mbps to any premises that could not receive like speeds on DSL.

10. raX

raX Member

11. slix_88

slix_88 Member

Plain ridiculous. Just imagine the latency on those wireless plans, let alone the quota.

12. Duideka

Duideka Member

Nah. He has a mobile that is patchy at the best of times - but better than nothing. Now I reread my post, I should have said address instead of number - habit - my bad ;)

Just looked it up again:
    Fixed Service details
    ABG applications for this post code: 9
    Line of Sight: 153,826m

lol :upset:

Yup. They have no clue... How many wireless towers do they think $6bn buys?

13. shift

shift Member

So from congested RIM to even more congested wireless?

14. raX

raX Member

Yep. looking forward to it!....

liberals have no idea. >_<

15. tomsykes

tomsykes Member

All absolute nonsense.

16. r8response

r8response Member

They'll need a shitload of new towers, and whose going to want one in their backyard?

Abbot and his liberal muppets truely have no idea. Rather than spend up now and keep australia at the forefront of communications, he'd rather do a piss poor patch up job and leave us in the stoneage for another 10+ years :tired:

17. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Not to forget the fibre to connect them :p

18. slix_88

slix_88 Member

I guess you're right. They would claim you can get 12Mbps but I guess they wouldn't be able to live up to their promise when everybody jumps on at 7pm. I wonder how this would also affect mobile phone services...

I guess a rough estimate would be that at least 60% of people cannot achieve 12mbps on their current ADSL2+ service. There are many obvious issues with rolling out solely on wireless, especially latency issues!! Give me 3mbps with 25ms pings and rid the stupid wireless.

Mind you, more wireless connectivity may also pose health hazards. Even though there is no hard ground evidence, I am a bit sceptical about having radiation cooking my brain as I sit 20m from a tower to eat my lunch. Wireless is definitely no way to go. However, if there is no other alternative (such as ADSL connectivity to your home), then its opportunity cost is next to nothing.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  19. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

20. OP
    OP
    jmart38

jmart38 (Banned or Deleted)

I already struggle to get 3G reception at my house (it's smack bang in the middle of 5 different phone towers... it switches between them constantly)

I can't see wireless being any kind of solution to the wider general public.

ADSL is all well and good, but it has it's limits and I doubt it will hold up the needs of the public for much longer...

Go go NBN *song and dance*.