NBN UPLOAD speed issues?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Vo0do0, Jul 15, 2019.

1. caspian

caspian Member

sounds like the router to me. connecting your PC directly to the NCD and getting normal function is pretty conclusive.

bear in mind that without a router to provide NAT, your device is directly exposed to the net, and connecting multiple devices via a switch directly into the NCD would require Telstra to assign a public IP to each device.

2. arnold kluff

arnold kluff New Member

yeah .. I'm aware of the issues of not being NAT'd .. that's cool.
    The switch was so that I could "click DISCONNECT in the router", then plug my laptop into the switch without the physical connect/disconnect activity at the router or NCD.
    The router at least has software callbacks that respond to the unplug event .. don't know about the NCD. This was just a step to remove those events from the equation.
    I'll still only have one device at a time asking the DHCL client question.
    :)

3. arnold kluff

arnold kluff New Member

caspian .. you would seem to be a person in the know ..
    Does this look like a "happy" upload speeds graph?
    Most of the time I get the "between 15 and 35" looking graph, but occasionally I see what I would expect to be more realistic - the averaging around 37 ish plot. The rest of it looks like too wide a spread to be statistically believable. It may well be that I'm just looking at weird speedtest artifacts, but the same spread of servers looks like it's represented all through the graph.
    The couple of hours squished at 27 ish Mbps looks suspicious to my eyes as well - it looks like some sort of artificial constraint/shaping/qos etc.
    [​IMG]

I'm still fighting with Telstra about unreliable upload speeds and dropouts and they have just sent a new modem/router (installed yesterday at 10:30 as can be seen on the plot) but I don't know what I bring to their attention here, if anything.
    I never had upload speeds that varied so wildly on cable, and I honestly would be suspicious of any network that produced a plot like that shown. Download speeds don't show the same level of variance (red lines are moving average plots):
    [​IMG]

Just after any thoughts you might have .. whether this all "looks as expected" or whether it might be indicative of something.

cheers :)
    Slapper
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. caspian

caspian Member

the degree of variance does suggest something amiss, but FTTC runs over copper which is subject to the same performance impacting issues as any DSL service. noise sources from within your house or adjoining houses feeding back into the same DPU, bloke up the road with a ham radio transmitter, faulty overhead street lighting, cabling running too close to mains power sources etc.

the first step is to determine which network segment and layer the issue lies within. you need to get Telstra to do some regular DSL line rate checking of your service to see if that is fluctuating, the have a robot that can run regular tests and provide reports. if that is unstable then they can raise the issue with NBN.

arnold kluff likes this.
  5. redpanther

redpanther New Member

Hi caspian, I came across this forum thanks to Google and it's sad to say that I've got exactly the same problem, my plan is NBN100 and my upload speed suddenly dropped sometime in August from 30 - 40 mbps to merely 5mbps.

I'm with Optus though, so not sure if there any assistance you can provide.

My connection is FTTC

6. caspian

caspian Member

send me some details of where your service is located.

redpanther likes this.
  7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

arnold kluff
    Send me a pm with your username, I'll get our (competent) assurance guys to do some checks (I work for Telstra)

8. redpanther

redpanther New Member

Thank you caspian sent you my details by PM

9. caspian

caspian Member

try it again now for me.

redpanther likes this.
  10. redpanther

redpanther New Member

Problem Fixed!! thanks heaps for that caspian God of nbn :)

11. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

It's slightly concerning that this is still an ongoing issue coming up on 2 months now caspian. With the usual proviso of knowing that some material can't be shared publicly, are you able to provide any updates, E.g. total remediation timeframes, advice on if RSP provisioning triggers said limitation or if NBN internal (silicon / firmware)?

12. caspian

caspian Member

the issue affects a small subset of services, is performance degradation related and not dead-in-the-water unworkable, affects upload only which many people won't even notice, and doesn't impact some people at all. developing a fix, validation and regression testing it lower level environments, performing controlled production validation and soak testing, and planning a deployment schedule is easily 2 months work under the circumstances.

we have been ready to go for a while now, but have elected to delay the delivery slightly to allow it to happen concurrent with other planned work, to avoid two service outages.

it should all be concluded in the next couple of weeks. there is nothing anyone can do to trigger or resolve the situation, be they provider or user. sorry, but that's all I can say.

13. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

respect :)

antman84 likes this.
  14. arnold kluff

arnold kluff New Member

Bloody hell!!
    My Case Manager has now sent me a graph (from Telstra's Level 2 Tech Team) that clearly shows my upload speed dropping to around 16 Mbps on 2 separate occasions.
    He also advises that the Level 2 Tech Team analysis indicates my upload speed "never drops below 25 Mbps" - WTF?!
    ie: he's shown me data that shows 16 Mbps upload speeds together with a directly contradictory statement that it never drops below 25.

On the plus side, the small snippet he has sent correlates with my measurements - including the 16 Mbps dropouts.
    On the minus side, the snippet starts just before the end of a 4 hour block during which I measured a consistent 16 ish Mbps. I suggested they might like to show me their measurements for that period .. he just ignored me claiming "I've done everything I can, I'm gonna close this case out".

FFS, it felt like we might have just been about to get somewhere useful and he pulls the pin!! If only I could get in direct contact with whoever's doing the measurements on their side I could talk in proper technical terms instead of through a mouthpiece who clearly doesn't understand diagnosing technical issues!

15. caspian

caspian Member

they need to differentiate between what they are measuring. the link speed between the NCD and the DPU in the street, or their own internal throughput testing.

Telstra's complaints management was long since offshored to the Philippines and is no longer a viable way of getting anything done, they are just script readers like everyone else. I know, my wife recently burned through 7 of them in a 6 month period trying to get a relatively simple issue fixed - which included me telling them precisely what they were doing wrong, and how to fix it. :rolleyes:

why don't you churn to a better provider?

16. arnold kluff

arnold kluff New Member

Doesn't surprise me in the least!

I almost certainly will (I've started looking) but I was hoping, given the amount of time I've invested in diagnosing an issue that may well follow me to my new provider, that Telstra would be instrumental in resolving it. A "lesser of two evils" thought process .. I was dreading starting the whole process all over again!

If they persist with their intention to simply back away from the problem, then it might be prudent to cut my losses and move on even if it does mean that I start this process all over again!