NBN - whats happening?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by al'Thor, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Just found out there's lots of blocks all over Albury/Thurgoona that have the NBN already. Fuck I want it!

I've been searching for rental properties that are for lease in the areas...

I want ma fast downloads! :D

2. Suntzu

Suntzu Member

Benji,

No disrespect bro. I'm not up to speed on tech tech side like you. But unless you have had 100mbs for 12 months like I did - then got crunched to 10mbs then you really don't appreciate or understand the impact or benefit this tech has on daily life. ESP since I have had a home IT business for 15 years and survived 28.8k pair gain.

This nbn is a nation changer. Get it?
    :thumbup:

3. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

It's not just the through put that's the benefit, but the reduced latency.

The main benefit of fiber isn't just how much data you can download per second, but how quickly you can access it.

4. Suntzu

Suntzu Member

Yep. Bang on. It's so bloody smooth and....consistent.:thumbup:

5. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Just curious what did the 100mb do, that changed the game?
    Korea is still looking for the game changer.

6. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Hey matey, no worries. I too run a IT business and even have a DC sitting on my property. The DC is fed on a HFM (Hybrid Fibre-Microwave) and sees less than 7ms of latency to Brisbane (DC2) and is used to access the network of a national carrier who I support in the region.

My house and business though run just fine on 10Mbit of DSL and does the nearly TB of transit each month, no worries.

Sorry, but your statement sounds baseless and recited from living on forums... How much quicker do your webpages load? I haven't found too many humans who can tell the difference of 20ms. DSL is good for latencies of 20's while DSL2+ is good for 30-40's and good wireless BB is good for 15-50's.

For those on NBN fibre, whats your claimed speed and actual speed with latencies, if you are skilled and have decent hardware, I would love to see those TRACERT's to major networks and sites.

I can get a useable 75/40 Mbit on Telstra 4G with latencies in single digits.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  7. Kataton1c

Kataton1c Member

Hmmmm, well that's extremely unfair.

I run an ISP and likewise have the same kind of infrastructure you're describing for our office. We build communication towers, DC build outs, terminate fiber, set up licensed microwave links and all that, among that handle the ICT as well - so not just setting up the links but the technology to go with it.

For me and the clients we implement this technology for, the benefits are immediate.

Now, just so I'm not taking it out of context I believe you're specifically referring to home users? I'm not sure, I just can't really see what argument you're trying to make?

8. Skitza

Skitza Member

How are you finding Internode in your area? International speed? Any drop outs?

9. Suntzu

Suntzu Member

Nation. Not Game.

10. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Would you believe I'm STILL waiting for the fucking fritzbox to arrive?

11. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

That's fair enough, I wasn't meaning it to be rude, As I said, your statement was what I was questioning. If your microwave is working properly and you are using good gear, you would know that microwave is "Faster" in terms of latencies. Fibre can move more data but when you want to reach to a client without the costs of drawing fibre, MW wins hands-down.
    What screws it for the NBN's ideas, contention ratios.

Yes, I am referring to domestic users in this thread, business, well they need symmetrical services that either fibre or decent wireless can offer, not contended services.

12. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I'd still contest your assertion that 10Mbit is sufficient for domestic users. Usage patterns are not limited to TBs/mth throughput, but rather peak concurrent usage of an evening.

I suggest that a 10/1 connection would be borderline (25/5 would be a nice sweetspot) for the hypothetical family with 2.3 teenaged children with access to today's services - concurrent usage of YouTube/IPTV, Skype, Online Education, SaaS (eg. Office365 / Xero for the home business), Google/Apple services & Online Games.

Looking at Online service growth into the future would require bandwidth growth exceeding 25/5 if hosted data and services continue with their present trends. Today's (and tomorrow's) lifestyle is centred around convenience, I suggest that people become increasingly frustrated if their online user experience is bogged down with slow uploads and/or noticeable latency due to bandwidth contention. I also suggest that most people are wilfully ignorant of technology and therefore won't take the necessary steps to change their habits or configure their Internet hardware to best utilise the bandwidth they have available.

13. Alexmartin11

Alexmartin11 Member

Senate Select Committee discuss NBNCo

Hi guys, I found this interesting maybe you want to watch how Senate Select Committee bashes NBNco.

Guys watch Bill Morrow, CEO of NBNCo and Greg Adock discuss NBNCo with Senate Select Committee LIVE. I find it interesting and how they get the figures that was posted on their site.. http://webcast.aph.gov.au/livebroadcasting/asx1/hms109v_100K.asx..... Pls delete thread if link is not allowed thanks..

14. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Funny you should mention the above.

I use both Xero and ZoHo for my business as well as having a SBS 2011 (exchange, DNS & DHCP) and then my media server with Utorrent running 24-7 plus VoIP phones. Now add in my teenager (who loves YouTube and anything else bandwidth hungry) and the Missus (bloody facebook).
    I manage to still sit down with several sessions of Teamveiwer plus at least one or more RDP sessions, all on a useable 10500/850 connection.
    Now I will admit, I know how to setup my network but it still goes to show, I can have all the required features of the internet and still have enough pipe to share my connection to my neighbour 150M away.

Yes, I would love a 25/5 connection but lets be serious, I have a Telstra Business connection for a reason, I don't get contention issues. My pipe stays the same speed all day/night, 365.25 a year.
    Now go look how many whinge on here and whingepool about how their speeds suck in peak times (or just suck) because they are on congested and contended services.

25/5 to most users = a fark-load of network traffic in networks that are already sucking feeding DSL......
    Lets now also re-hash the BS of the fixed wireless, 25/5 again on radios that only have 20MHz of spectrum bandwidth (same as normal 2.4GHz N-wireless). Now most know there isn't enough in these to feed hundreds of users without shit connections.

Satellite is a great example or contentions, limited birds trying to feen too many subscribers. They were already at capacity more than a decade ago when I used to install them, then NBN says, yeah, lets flog the dead-horse some more. How did that go? No more sat connections because they don't work.

NBN needed to focus on getting backhaul and trunks faster along with international connections long before they should have sprouted FTTH crap.

15. Skitza

Skitza Member

lol great. Grab something else of your choice? I'm on Skymesh and its really good, I wanted Internode but they were being... difficult.:lol:

16. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Sent them a "please explain" email yesterday, and miraculously received my account information today, so I can at least provision one of my routers today when I get home to try it out while waiting for the Fritzbox.

17. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Ok, turns out I need to blame my postie/courier. The Router was sitting at the post office since the 7th. No card left for me to tell me though, Internode let me know.

Set up, and back to back tested against my 100mbit telstra cable service.
    Earliest results are lower, so timeline is bottom to top. 3 tests each for an average of both services.

[​IMG]

The ping is lower, and the upload is drastically increased. I found the speed slower (or same as 100mbit NBN) for the Telstra cable if I wasn't speedtesting on the Telstra or Internode server, so I reckon that's a more real world speed.

18. Alexmartin11

Alexmartin11 Member

Homes and Businesses switch to the NBN

First Gungahlin and Coffs are among the first in Australia to complete the transition to the National Broadband Network and now they are welcoming Humpty Doo in NT. This is a goo dnews in Berry Springs, Darwin River, Lambells Lagoon, Fly Creek North, Wagait Beach, Livingston South, Southport.

19. Suntzu

Suntzu Member

Yep. And I sold my house in gungahlin this week with 100mb/25mb connected and moved to internet hell in the Gold Coast.

Love the weather tho!

20. Alexmartin11

Alexmartin11 Member

Gold Coast

SunTzu.. Sad to hear that you can get NBN services in your area. Do you have any plan moving to Surfers Paradise and Bundall since they will get NBN Wireless and it's on build commenced.