nearly ready to power on

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by 5TH ELEMENT, Jul 31, 2006.

1. 5TH ELEMENT

5TH ELEMENT Member

Morning All
    I am finally...neeeearly ready to power-on my first ever PC build for the first time...Just waiting for my conroe e6600 and to install the zalman..Hopefully, it will fit anyway as I dry fitted the part yesterday and it seems awfully close to the radiator and heatpipes on the P5W-DH motherboard...

Anyways, once I power on for the first time...what can I expect, have been reading up and looking at the manual and its supposed to POST, whatever that is.... Do I need to install Windows immediately, can I install internet to start updating bios and drivers...are there any traps or tricks to look out for, with this motherboard or in general ?

Any info is appreciated

Regards

2. Big Trev

Big Trev Member

Sparks.

Oh, and smoke too. I always keep a fire blanket handy.

:D

It'll POST (Power On Self Test), which is when the motherboards splash screen comes up when you switch on the power. Hit Del key while it's doing that, go into the BIOS and check that your drives and everything are detecting OK (ie. is it reporting the correct amount of RAM?). Also set it to boot to the CD.

Put in your Windows CD, save your BIOS settings, reboot, and Windows should start installing.

Once Windows is installed, that's when you have to worry about drivers and all that good stuff.

3. Bort

Bort Member

EDIT: What he said ^^, I was too slow to type

Firstly, congratulations on your first PC build!

When it is turned on, there should be a single beep from the speaker if it's connected, and you'll see a bit of the usual text on the screen... Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.40 GHz or whatever - it goes through its Power On Self Test, or POST. If you don't install Windows right away it will look through the hard drives, CD/DVD and floppy for an operating system. If it doesn't find one, it will just sit there with an "Operating system not found" kind of error on screen.

As it boots, just check that the fans are turning (unless it's a temp controlled one that doesn't spin until it's a certain temperature) and enter the BIOS setup - it will say on screen to hit the Delete key or something. Have a look at the health status page and see if the temperatures are OK, just to make sure the heatsink is mounted OK.

If that's all good, go ahead installing windows - just set the first boot device to be CD so it finds the Windows CD.

Best of luck, should be an awesome system with an E6600.

4. OP
    OP
    5TH ELEMENT

5TH ELEMENT Member

Thanks Guys
    Will give it a whirl - fingers crossed !!

I have double/triple checked every connector and they seem pretty foolproof and can only go in one way...Then again, this is the same person who panicked when I couldn;t find a 4pin adaptor for the 8pin 12volt cable that came with the PSU
    Only realised of course after prodding from someone else to try seperating the 8 pins into 2 x 4 pin connectors....."rolls eyes"...

5. tazwegion

tazwegion Member

Ensuring the motherboard is secured appropriately, noting the underside is free from possible points of contact (with the exception of where it's supposed to screw down)... one short/spark can be all it takes to kill something :(

Static electricity is also a cause for concern, some people more than others create static electricity, especially in carpeted environments, it is recommended to wear an anti-static wrist strap during construction/repairs of PC's... just thought I'd mention it ;)

6. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

There's a fair chance that nothing will happen. That'll normally be caused by something really simple - failing to plug the power switch in to anything, leaving the PSU unplugged, or not turning the main power switch (at the back of the PSU) on.

As others have said, once it actually starts the first time it'll display the CPU type, amount of RAM (and RAM speed), and all the drives that are connected. It wouldn't be a bad idea to go into the BIOS at this point and check that everything is right (especially the boot order - boot from CD first, then HDD).

After the POST screen, it'll say that it can't find the OS because the HDD is blank. At this point, insert the Windows CD and hit reset (you may find that the reset button doesn't work either, so connect that properly and try again).

When booting up with the Windows CD, it should just go straight to the Windows XP installation screen (which is very self-explanatory). After installing XP, I'd suggest installing the latest drivers (not the ones that came with the mainboard. Get them from another computer). You'll also need to install the service packs (if you've got an old version of Windows) and DirectX 9c.

7. Cestevenson

Cestevenson Member

So true! Even after building many comps I still do stuff like this.

8. Shnorque

Shnorque Member

Just built my first ever comp a few months ago, got it all put together and went to turn it on and nothing happened. I was worried. Turns out i still had the PSU turmed of at the little switch on the back... :O

Have fun.

9. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

if im building a folding machine or something basic for myself normally i only connect the power switch unless i can be bothered lol

10. genesis

genesis Member

Ahhh your first build........

Good one

Building your own the only way to fly and a Conroe.... well they are the flavour and it should hoot for you, I am an AMD man myself but can definatly see the mertits in Intels latest. Just remember to make sure that thermal paste or thermal sticker is in place and the heatsink installed properly, fan plugged in etc. Most other things only plug in the one way so should not have any drama's there. Just remember do a pre-boot check cables in place and firm, power in place and firm then fire her up and setup the BIOS, just remember you have the whole OCAU team here to answer questions.

Engage......... :leet:

Genesis

11. pugsley

pugsley Member

My advise is to make sure that all wires are out of the way of any fans. I always seem to leave them hanging over and nothing makes you shit your pants like the noise that it makes. :lol: Its a horribly loud noise and you immediatly think that the pc is going to blow.

The guys above me have pretty much covered the rest.

12. =Maverick=

=Maverick= Member

I too built my first pc in January this year.

Only problem i encountered was the XP install would have a hissy fit half-way through, turns out the RAM timing was wrong.

I also almost knocked a capacitor off the Motherboard while putting in the DVD drive, i had to attach rails to the drive, but the design of the case did not give any indication of which way the rails should face.

I ended up putting it in the wrong way, the drive jammed in place, so to get it out again i needed to give it a few wacks...the drive rocketed out and i swear the only thing that saved the Motherboard was the piece of metal that the PSU sits on :Paranoid: .

13. Cestevenson

Cestevenson Member

So what happened?

EDIT: Just re-read, I assume you are still awaiting the E6600

14. OP
    OP
    5TH ELEMENT

5TH ELEMENT Member

Hey all
    Yep...still waiting for the Conroe to arrive..apparently all E6600's are on hold with Intel withdrawing their ETA until at least the "Official" release date of 7th August...at least thats what I have been told by supplier..Graphics card is also on backorder with an arrival of late next week..

I think I also have a pretty clean setup..I used some cable organisers to route cables along the back wall of the PC and bought some sleeving to tidy up everything else...Fan wires are out of the way, and when my wife gets back from Perth with the Camera, will take some happy snaps and see what you think if I can upload them ?

All this suspense is killing me though...I have to stop myself from just opening up the case and moving this or that so its just right..

Will let you know how I go..ETA is Friday night next week as power on day

Cheers

15. decayed.cell

decayed.cell Member

Haha yeah I hate that feeling... especially when you plug it in and it starts beeping the crap out of you... then you notice that something isn't plugged in all the way haha

16. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

if something doesnt work, be prepared for an hour or two of troubleshooting, which isnt fun

17. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

aint that the truth.... BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP F*#$ING BEEP

18. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

When i build my first computer i was so buggered when it wouldnt turn on. All the fans started going but no display. So i decided to take the motherboard back thinking it was faulty. Then I was even more embarresed when they showed me it working.

All in all it turned out to be the power button plug was on the wrong pins :lol:

So if your system doesnt boot first time, check those.

19. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

i'm surprised they havent made one unified connector for the case connectors (e.g. reset SW, power SW etc)

makes no sense, plugging in each pin is a absolute pain, not to mention its not really said which way the pins are supposed to go, more like trial and error

20. Barca888

Barca888 Member

The wording on the case connectors is to face the edge of the motherboard.