Need 7700k delidding help!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by d1dz, Mar 16, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    d1dz

d1dz Member

Thanks everyone! Have got onto Ratzz and have ordered some LM, just waiting for it to arrive. Totally get that my chip might just be av but hey, figured it's worth a shot. Have tweaked bios settings to oblivion with this thing over the years, nothing is out of the ordinary. If oc'd stability doesn't improve post delid at least the temps will improve, that's how i'm justifying this expedition!

2. groovetek

groovetek Member

No matter what, you'll get 100mhz+ out of it. Doesn't matter if it's a poor clocking chip to start with, there's gains regardless.

3. spit051261

spit051261 Member

good luck selling it if you do de lid mind.
    Just a thought :)

4. groovetek

groovetek Member

On that note, Loctite 480 is great for re-bonding IHS to CPU substrate without leaving a trace. It's black like the original adhesive.

After your application of LM, just about 6-8 tiny drops of 480 on the original black adhesive material left behind from the original IHS removal. This will look completely factory afterwards (obviously line up the IHS exactly as it was).

Use a set of rubber clamps and have it clamped down for about 5 minutes and it'll be ready to go/install. It will reach full strength in about 24 hours, but yes after a few minutes it's ready to install and use anyway.

5. headin2001

headin2001 Member

7700K were notoriously bad for temp spikes. Of all the chips I delidded over the years, the 7700K benefits the most for day to day. I had some chips improve 28-30 degrees and gain 300mhz.

6. Kosti

Kosti Member

Anyone tried copper IHS replacement with LM, better or worse?

7. headin2001

headin2001 Member

I tried for a few different reasons but saw no measurable difference. Only time it was helpful was on a really trash standard IHS that was concave and uneven as hell.

Lapped Cooler with a Lapped IHS is always best. Also I never suggest LM between cooler and IHS as you risk it squishing out shorting shit, worse on a vertical mounted system. Also will screw the plating on the base of the cooler or just melt it if it isn't copper.

Kosti likes this.
  8. Kosti

Kosti Member

I'm about to delid a 6700K and was going to get a copper IHS replacement just for LM..So don't doing is what I'm reading here even if I put that kapton tape

9. headin2001

headin2001 Member

It's just risky. If you are careful and only just put the right amounts on you will be ok. But the gains, mess and risk aren't worth it imo

Kosti likes this.
  10. CMH

CMH Member

I always say that it depends on what you want to achieve.

If it's to push your CPU harder, a 6700 is too outdated for this to be worth doing...

OTOH, might be a fun experiment if you don't mind replacing your computer.

Kosti likes this.
  11. Kosti

Kosti Member

well now have a 7700K and a 6700K to play with, not sure which one I want to delid and apply LM, maybe I will leave em stock, I don't really have time to muck about, I've even got some conform stuff to apply just to be extra safe, and if I go via that route of doing LM I may even do the MacBook Pro 2015 since I am going to upgrade the SSD to NVME as this is my daily driver these days.

12. CMH

CMH Member

Might get quite a bit of improvement in temps if you lap the mating surface of the cooler on the MacBook before applying lm.

You'd still get a significant improvement without it though.