Need a new LCD, have $3000. Please recommend

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by unwritt3n, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Oblique

Oblique Member

2. Schumi275

Schumi275 Member

Can't go wrong with the current Samsung's :thumbup:

Price seems good but there would still be more room to move. I normally try for 20% off list, reckon you could get another $100 off ;). Phone around on the day you going to buy, check stock first and if anyone says they have a couple or more nail them for $1899.

3. Oblique

Oblique Member

Awesome, cheers. However I do have a good mate who works there and will give me one for the cheapest possible sale price, possibly even cost.

Will get it on the weekend :)

4. Ace of Aces

Ace of Aces Member

Well I have a Panasonic plasma and it's still going strong after 10 odd years (bought the TV in 2003 and had no problems whatsoever. Sad that Panasonic TVs have been receiving bad press).

But if I had to buy a new TV tomorrow, I would buy a Samsung LCD or OLED.

Currently have spare money to spend so I'm inclined to buy a Samsung OLED TV

I saw the Samsung OLED TV at the Samsung store in Sydney and can I just say that I was just amazed by the picture quality.. I have never seen anything close to that kind of quality... not joking.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

For 4K and optimum visual exp. isn't OLED the want??

I mean the discussion has hardly touched on the latest tech.....LCD is just now!

For my money I'd want OLED.

6. Schumi275

Schumi275 Member

We probably haven't touched too much on the OLED in this post because the OP wanted minimum 60" for $3k.

I couldn't recommend an OLED screen at the current prices, unless money was no object.

How many models do Samsung currently have available in OLED for purchase in Australia? I thought it was only the 1 model, a 55" that sells for close to $10k.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

When spending that sort of money I wouldn't want something that is going to be dated in a year or two......

8. Schumi275

Schumi275 Member

Each to their own I guess.

I follow a similar idea to what RyoSaeba mentions a couple of posts back. I update every 2 - 3 years spend around $3k each time. So for about $9k over the last 9 years we have a Samsung Series 7 60" in the lounge room, Panasonic 42" led in my man cave and a 42" LG Plasma in our bedroom. Or 9 years ago I could have purchased the latest technology for $10k and be sitting with a single 42" 9 year old tv in the loungeroom.

9. Oblique

Oblique Member

Update - I bought this yesterday and my mate managed to get it down to $1898 for me which is apparently cost price. Very happy :)

10. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Are you talking about OLED or 4K? They are not the same thing.

So in 2 years time an OLED TV purchased today is going to be better compared to a LCD/Plasma purchased? How so? Is the OLED going to auto upgrade itself over the 2 years of use? Given that they have the same resolution and tech now, where is the downside that LCD/Plasma has?

And 4K? For the same price, do you want a smaller screen for the money, and wait 1-2 years for there to be enough 4k materials to show on the smaller screen that you purchased, while not being able to optically resolved the resolution difference at regular TV viewing distance over 1080P?

11. gobbledegook

gobbledegook Member

$2.5k gets you the 70" Sharp. That's what I did, just no 3D.