NEED ADVICE - everyone's best quad channel results with 64GB?

Discussion in 'Memory' started by SomethingFunny, Jan 4, 2019.

1. SomethingFunny

SomethingFunny Member

I'm about to upgrade the memory in my 7820x/Rampage VI Extreme system and looking at what memory to get.

I'm looking to take advantage of the quad channel memory, I understand that dual rank per channel is the way to go also.

I know that overclocking this much ram is hard on the IMC, I was previously using 2 sets of 32GB corsair (8x8GB 3466MHz sticks) and could only get them running at 2666MHz.

The way I see it, I have several options:

1. Load it up with 8x8GB Samsung B-Die sticks to take advantage of dual rank per channel and see how high I can get the memory to OC (maybe 3000+?)

2. go with 4x16GB sticks also to make use of dual rank per channel, I'm unsure whether this will be easier to overclock than 8x8

3. only get 32GB and go with some high speed (4000+) 4x8GB sticks and push them at a higher freq/better timings

I'd like peoples opinions on 8x8GB or 4x16GB?
    I've done a lot of reading and there's so much difference in opinion on what's better.

Also is buying 2x 32GB kits an option or is this just a waste due to them not being a matched set and is this likely to cause issues or instability?

I'm looking for examples of what people have actually done and what ram they were using etc so I can hopefully mirror what has already been done and proven to work well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

I have a kit of gskill 4x8gb 3600 16-16-16 kit and it will run at 4133 with 1.4 -1.45v

I'd consider buying 2 kits of gskill 4000mhz 2x16gb cl19.

Dual rank is apparently worth 7% bandwidth, but the extra MHz you'll get from 8gb sticks means the same bandwidth and lower latencies.

Because they are seperate memory channels I'd be more likely to trust them to work

3. hairy

hairy Member

I don't think ram speed was a big issue on x299 being quad channel ?
    I running 4x8gig sticks at 3200mhz no issues.
    cant comment on anything over that.

4. OP
    OP
    SomethingFunny

SomethingFunny Member

As far as I'm aware people can hit pretty good speeds (4000MHz+)with 32GB ram, the difficulty is when you're running 64GB you can't easily get those speeds I think.

From what I could gather getting even 3000MHz on 64GB whether it be 8x8 or 4x16 is pretty good, I'm not sure on this though, hence creating this thread, I want to know what people running 64GB have been able to attain, and if anoyone was able to get a higher speed than 2666MHz with 64GB

5. hairy

hairy Member

what do you do that requires 64gig ?
    I have trouble maxing out my 32.

6. OP
    OP
    SomethingFunny

SomethingFunny Member

Mainly VM and CAD, most of the time I obviously won't be maxing all 64GB.
    From time to time, depending what I'm doing I like to setup a RAM DISK.
    It's also handy for having literally 1000 tabs open and every single program you want, you never have to close anything.
    With 64GB I can do all of the above at once and not have an issue.
    I want the capacity to be able to use it when I need it basically, money isn't really an issue.

There isn't a lot of information out there where people are running 64GB or 128GB of ram and really trying to get the best out of it, like overclocking freq and tightening timings.
    I just want to know what's possible so I know what to aim for.

There's no point in me going and getting 8 sticks of 4600MHz ram when it's not possible to run them all together at that speed (pretty sure it's not).

From what I have read, 2666-3000MHz seems to be about the limit of 64GB and I can't find any stats for 128GB.
    There is a guy on OCUK that seems pretty happy with pushing 8x8 to 3200MHz, so I guess this is exceptionally good.

Anyone pushing memory to its limit usually does it with 2 sticks and there are a lot of experts and information about overclocking 2, I wish there was a good guide about what to expect from 8x8 or 4x16 (pushing the IMC to it's limits running 8 ranks).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  7. im late

im late Member

Your thread is a typical "1%'ter" post. Almost all computer users won't even have 64gb in their system, so an information bank for you to compare and go off is pretty much zero.

Those that use 64gb or more are either running VMs and content creators that don't really want to go past the Intel stock mem speed spec.

there is no info out there for a reason..... no one really does what you want to do.....

But hey that should not stop you, hopefully you get someone here that has done/is doing what you want to do.

Only lead I could give you is to check the qvl of your board and see if there is any 64gb kits listed for your board, then see what is the fastest kit on the list and go with that.

At least you will be (basically) assured you will reach those speeds as it is vendor qualified.... Your board is certainly a good starting point.

Good luck and post results. :thumbup:

8. im late

im late Member

You will be spending over $1k easily on ram so I would go qvl list all the way.

Unless you want to take the (risk) of buying a kit that is not in the list and giving it a go..

9. im late

im late Member

But yeah, all about IMC silicon lottery. :lol:

10. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I think the only matching done is the fact that they are intended for the one machine and obviously they have the same chipset and hence they have appropriate and identical XMP settings programmed in to the SPD chip on the RAM sticks, even if you use say S1156 RAM in a S2066 system the worst that happens is you have to program the different XMP settings manually into the BIOS if you want to use XMP, other than that AFAIK the RAM sticks are otherwise identical even if intended for different sockets/chipsets so buying two packets of 2x16GB shouldn't create any issues that I'm aware of.