1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

need advice ~ mouse issues...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ibace, Mar 29, 2022.

1. ibace

ibace Member

all of a sudden last night...mouse became totally unresponsive...unable to move it as required [it was extremely difficult due to "stuttering" it just could not be used for anything]....tried last resort pulling power lead from desktop [3950x 128 ram 1tb pm 981 win 10 latest version all updates] doing a shutdown and restart. No fix...same problem...tried a different mouse and also a hard restart with different mouse...no fix...unable to do much of anything.

Didn't have any batteries to change/replace last night, fresh in today but issue persists...went to shops bought a new mouse...no change...all I can think of is that there is an issue with the mouse driver.

Booted up my laptop...plugged each mouse and dongle into it and all worked flawlessly...so pretty sure it is a driver issue on my desktop...2 of the mouses are Logitech the other was a K-Mart generic bought today; but surely any driver should work? Toyed with straight up doing a fresh install...but concerned about losing my Office Activation...even though it is registered to my Microsoft Account...

So I figure I need to download a [default?] driver to my laptop and use USB to install onto my desktop...but how do I do that with an unresponsive mouse [any help with a command prompt type help...please advise]...no idea why this has occurred. Hate to admit this...but I am stumped by situation...

2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

port busted?

3. connico

connico Member

1. Per above try another USB port
    2. Try a wireless mouse using a USB bluetooth dongle. Borrow one from a friend.
    3. Remote into the PC if you can, to change the drivers
    4. Windows repair

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Step 1: Disable any overclocks you might have and try again.
    Step 2: If you can boot into another operating system like a live Ubuntu USB or even the Windows install Media, you can see if the mouse actually works outside of your current install. This will show if it's a straight up hardware issue either with a particular USB port or something gone screwy on the motherboard.
    Step 3: Check Device Manager to see if it sees any issues, otherwise delete and let it re-install the mouse driver automatically (then manually if that doesn't work). Learn some keyboard shortcuts or setup remote desktop first.
    The driver itself appears to be pretty old from what I can see on my Windows 10 machine:

upload_2022-3-29_8-14-49.png

Step 4: Re-install Windows... It's actually pretty easy these days. If it's the setup in your sig hopefully it's only Windows on the boot drive and everything else is safely on other drives making this a damn quick and (relatively) painless process.

If you do need to re-install Windows and depending on your thoughts about your current desktop setup, take the opportunity to upgrade the boot drive to something newer/faster. That way you can just pull the old drive completely intact, insert the new one and install away. No risk of data loss and you can grab whatever you need afterwards. If you're not planning on re-installing that boot drive for some other duty grab a USB enclosure to suit to make a portable drive.

5. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

not your mousepad is it?

just asking. had a similair issue, doubt its that, but yet.

go into bios and see if the mouse works fine in there. if it does, its a software issue, if it doesn't, there is a hardware issue.

6. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Didn't even consider that :p Even easier than Ubuntu :)