Need Advice on Buying Used Apple Computer

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by sean0118, May 6, 2013.

1. sean0118

sean0118 Member

I'm just going to be as honest as possible from the start -I am definitely a PC guy. I can probably count the amount of times I have used a Mac on one hand. That said I am intending to buy one soon...

The reason for this is that my university is forcing me to create an iPhone application for our year long electrical engineering project. The problem is (apart from it being purely a computer science project) that I do not own a Mac. So from looking at the iOS development suite I can see I need something that can run "Mac OS X Snow Leopard or later". So from further research it looks like that means Core 2 Duo or later?

Now, I don't really know where to start looking at the Macs available. But I need something that supports iOS and OS X Snow Leopard reliably. It does not need to support games etc. Now either a model of laptop or desktop is what I am after, but I am assuming desktops are more affordable? Cheaper is much better.

Just to be clear I am not asking to buy someones mac, I just want advice on a model that suits the above needs. I am happy to clarify anything I have missed out. Thanks. ;)

2. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

hackbook?

hackintosh?

3. OP
    OP
    sean0118

sean0118 Member

Would that be reliable?

It's just, I have heard you can run into compatibility issues when running iOS on a VM. So I would think a hackbook or hackintosh would have issues as well? :confused:

4. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

Any intel based mac will run 10.6 so that shouldn't be an issue to find. That would include the Core Duo as well but I'd probably go C2D if you can. There are a crap load of 2007/2008 intel based mac's on ebay which I would probably look at. Maybe a mac mini? Can probably pick one up for around $100ish if you find a good deal, else an imac would be around $200 from that age.

Go any higher than 2009 you will almost be paying refurb costs of a current model because apple products seem to retain value years after being replaced.

edit: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apple-Ma...ers_Apple_Desktops&hash=item20d24a1ad9&_uhb=1

There is one I found with a quick look, seems to have sold a few and that should do the job nicely.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  5. chip

chip Member

I doubt they're actually forcing you, but if it's the case that the assessment specifies the work must be done on a particular system, they'd damn well better be providing you with the equipment to do it.

6. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

7. OP
    OP
    sean0118

sean0118 Member

@skootyloops

Thanks for your help, I'll take a good look around tomorrow and see what I can find. I didn't even know about the Mac Minis.

@chip

It's complicated but I guess technically the uni isn't forcing me (but it does feel that way). But they did assign us a computer software company as our industry leader, which means we have to do one of their projects. Problem is they were all software projects and we decided the phone application was the most achievable. The second problem is our industry leader was very big on the idea of an iPhone application opposed to Android and we haven't had much say in the matter so far. Not to mention the fact our industry leader will most likely own any software we produce (this is still being worked out).

The uni does provide us with access to Macs but it's really not enough, I definitely need something at home for this.

@skootyloops

Thanks for your help also, I am sure they are great deals. But as I am only after a mac for programming so if I can get something around $100 I'll take it.

;)

8. mrthong

mrthong Member

step up a hackintosh, easily done and the cheapest option :thumbup: (had one running off a separate harddrive)
    to step up a hackintosh you'll need a INTEL system as its easier to setup to against an AMD system.

that said, i dont think we're allowed to talk about hackintosh related stuff on this forum.:tongue:

9. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

one of the late white macbooks would serve your purpose. They are cheap and can run up to osx 10.7 quite well.

10. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Doesn't your uni have Macs for you to use?

Anyway, a hackintosh is definitely the best option assuming you already have a tower with an Intel CPU. It will beat the hell out of trying to program and run the simulator on some crappy old white MacBook.

11. chip

chip Member

sean0118's mentioned that there are, but there any plenty of reasons for this not being a great solution (long travel time to campus, crowded labs populated by comp sci stereotypes with soap allergies).

Given that this is apparently an industry collaboration project and the industry partner's getting something out of it, I'm surprised they haven't provided some equipment for the project.

I'm with skootyloops - grabbing a 2nd hand mac mini for <$300 and then flogging it off after the project may be a more effective use of time than faffing around with a hackintosh.

12. Mac-Pro

Mac-Pro Member

I know you can install virtualisation guests of OS X mountain lion on Fusion on the Mac.

Just wondering if installing OS X Mountain lion on VMware for PC will work for you? That will get you buy having not to need to purchase Mac hardware for your project.

If you need a dedicated mac, the cheapest option provided you already have keyboard, screen and mouse is a mac mini.

13. Treggs

Treggs Member

I have tried hackintosh's and I currently have a lion VM running under VMware and while they are a solution, neither were stable enough that I would recommend doing a uni project on them. Buying a reasonably priced mac mini is probably the most economically viable option imho. You can always repurpose it after you have finished the project as a home server/torrent box/ubuntu box/general hack machine/home theatre pc/windows box.

No one has managed to get the graphics running properly on a VM with a windows host (last time I looked) so the interface while usable is pretty jerky.

14. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

15. OP
    OP
    sean0118

sean0118 Member

hmmm I think your right, it looks like Mountain Lion would be better, sorry i didn't realise there was an OS later than Snow Leopard.

Just wandering how exact their system requirements are? As in would Mountain Lion not install on a 2007-2009 mac mini? Or just run less optimally?

Another question I am struggling with is whether we need to enroll in the development program? From as far as I can see, Xcode is free to download but the iOS Dev Program is needed to do testing on an actual phone? Are there any other benefits of joining the iOS Dev Program?

And thanks to everyone for replying. :thumbup:

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  16. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

10.8 is much more "annoying" with picking a proper mac to use it with. Apple have stopped it from installing normally (there are ways around it) if there isn't a 64bit EFI, regardless of whether the processor itself supports x64.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Mini#Intel-based_Mac_Mini

Earliest would be 2009 mac mini that would support 10.8 without a problem.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1325709

Might be able to find an older mac mini on that page and you will be fine.

17. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Yep $99/y to test on an actual device and to be able to release on the app store.

18. rthy

rthy Member

why not try the osx 10.6.8 lion on VMware?

19. Mac-Pro

Mac-Pro Member

I'm pretty sure 10.6.8 isn't supported in virtual environments. It's only 10.7 or 10.8 they started supporting it.

20. power

power Member

10.6.8 is Snow Leopard.