need advice on speaker/amp combo

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by cdtoaster, Nov 5, 2012.

1. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i've been looking at PC speakers for some time but i think if i spend 1k on them now i'll just want something better in a year or 2. instead i want to get speakers and a dedicated amp. I still want to run audio from my PC so i'm thinking
    sound card as dac ~$200
    amp ~$1000 (is this reasonable?)
    Speakers ~$3000
    use: music, movies
    what is the sweet spot for speakers price wise?. I've identified the Bowers & Wilkins CM8 as potential speakers.

2. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

That's a reasonable combination. I recently bought a Tascam US144mk2 interface for $200. I bought it for laptop measurements, but it would be good for what you have in mind, and it has digital outputs. In your case it might be a good idea to run an internal sound card with optical out due to noise issues.

Emotiva have a sale on at the moment and fall well within your budget.

3. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Yeah, that's pretty reasonable for a good starter kit. Be careful of $200 sound cards - mine (Creative Sound Bastard) hums and is generally noisy. I only discovered this when I hooked it up to the main system - on computer speakers the noise is inaudible. Make sure you check the shop's return policy.

With $3k speakers, you should be able to get something astounding ... if you go for bookshelf speakers. Things like the ProAc Response D1 or the VAF I-91 are within reach, as well as floorstanders like the VAF DC-X. If you can afford to stretch your budget to $4k, you could even get a Martin-Logan. This is true high end sound for not much money.

Which one you choose really depends on how you plan to set them up - bookshelf speakers for smaller rooms and nearfield listening, floorstanders for larger rooms. If you choose bookshelf speakers, make sure you factor in the cost of a stand in your budget ... about $200-300.

I have never liked B&W, but if that kind of sound is your thing, then why not.

4. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

Might be worth going digital from your computer so the DACs on your Amp do the work. I would guess that the DACs on an $1000 amp should be better than a $200 sound card (plus it saves you $200).

5. led_blind

led_blind Member

I had the same question a month or so ago. In the end i chose the Aktimate Mini+ powered book shelf speakers and an Audioengine D1 DAC...

This was a major upgrade to my Logitech z5500 and i dont miss the 5.1 at all. If you are a bass fiend then add a sub but i don't miss the sub dang these things are brilliant. Its now possible to hear the sound improve as you move from youtube to lastfm to CD to Loss less(of what ever flavour)

Just be careful of all the pseudo-science jargon in the audio market and remember that you often cant tell the difference between $100 per M speaker cable and a wire coat hanger.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

the bowers weren't that great, in the end i had placed a order for:
    Dynaudio Excite X32
    Arcam FMJ A38 105WPC
    Arcam Rdac
    ....then got a call today saying they wouldn't have the Excite until feb next year so i canceled :( i was so looking forward to having them this weekend as well. even had a new soundcard with the optical out sent express. since i can't have what i want i might just keep putting money aside for this then get something proper good next year :)

7. The King

The King Member

I love Dyns, and the external DAC is a great call - that would've been a brilliant setup :)