Need Backup Software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by nicholasporison, Nov 8, 2018.

1. nicholasporison

nicholasporison Member

I have to save my backup data (more than 2 TB). Is there any software which can save that much data?

2. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

A little more detail would be useful; things like data types, OS, intended destination, retention requirements, etc

3. OP
    OP
    nicholasporison

nicholasporison Member

Want to backup videos.

4. mareke

mareke Member

There's lots of backup programs that will do it. I've been using a program called Handy Backup (see the link below) for many years & the basic version only costs $39. It can be set to automatically back up data or you can do it manually after setting it up (which is the way I prefer to back up). The thing I like about it is that it will back up data that I can't back up by copying & pasting because there are many long file names in the folders I back up that break the file name length limit for Windows but the program does it anyway. Once you get used to the interface the program works flawlessly.

https://www.handybackup.net/handybackup-standard.shtml

5. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Robocopy is probably more than sufficient for the basic requirements.

power and callan like this.
  6. ex4n

ex4n Member

you can get veeam agent for windows for free, point it at your nas or an external hdd and set and forget

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Hard to understand what you want to do. From a PC to an external HDD? From a PC HDD to another HDD (internal)?

A bit more description would be very useful.

SyncBackFree will allow you to back up a HDD and once you have created a profile, you can run it again in the future and it will find and copy only any new files you have collected;
    https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

8. OP
    OP
    nicholasporison

nicholasporison Member

Thanks for you recommendation, I will definitely look into this in a while...

9. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Wow i just had a massive failure with AllwaySync last night after i connected one of my spare 2tb portable drives to my laptop to run a manual mirrored data backup from my data drive, somehow it corrupted 600gb of my 1.4tb of data on my laptop Data drive, but luckily it left the files on that spare portable drive completely in tact and unchanged after the backup was completed.
    My usual setup is to have a 2tb portable drive always connected to the laptop, and i had AllwaySync set up to sync between my laptop data drive and the portable drive, as soon as any changes were detected on my main data drive, it would run a syncronized mirrored backup over to the portable drive, and thankfully when i checked that, everything was still there and untouched as well, so something went wrong with the manual backup to the other portable drive to cause those files to be corrupted.

I did a quick google search and came across a thread in another forum from a few years ago, where someone recommended this SyncBackFree software, so i installed it, and Bam, can't believe how easy it is to use, just 2 steps to set up a mirrored sync job, and 2 more steps to set up an incremental mirrored backup set to run every 15 minutes.
    Have it set to run over to me main portable drive (drive F) and to do a manual mirrored backup when i connect my other portable drive (drive G) and so far it runs every 15 minutes without issues.
    The downside is that the free version does not run the automatic mirrored backup when i make changes to files on my laptop data drive like AllwaySync would do, so i will be looking into this to see if one of the other paid for versions of SyncBack will allow me to do this.

Click to view full size!

Oh, and i do have Backblaze installed, which is set to do immediate backups to my Backblaze storage as soon as it detects any movement on the main Data drive on my laptop.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  10. power

power Member

looks decent, i still use allwaysync, does syncback do network locations?

11. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

It looks like SyncBack Lite for $20 will do "Intelligent Sync" which is what AlwaySync allowed my to do, as soon as data on the Source drive was added, deleted or changed, an automated mirror copy was activated over to the portable drive.

I was always having niggly issues with AllwaySync where it often gave me a popup box whenever it was doing a syncronized backup, saying i had to attend to an important issue, and i often had to run the job manually to fix it, and several times i had to re-install the software to fix an issue.
    I emailed support a few times with a screenshot of the error i used to get, and they basically told me it would be fixed in the next release, and to re-install it if the problem the problem arises again.

I had been looking for an alternative but kept putting it off, that was until last night when that shit happened, but i can't work out why that manual backup to another portable drive caused the source files on my laptop to corrupt, if it was on the portable drive i may have understood.

Don't rely on one data backup solution, always backup onto at least 2 portable drives using software, and then grab an online cloud storage provider as well.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019