Need help deciding quickly!!!

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by jowjeh, Apr 26, 2017.

1. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

OK. I currently run a 34" 3440x1440 screen 21:9. I love this ratio.

I'm lacking FPS atm, 60 isn't cutting it.

I am going to upgrade, but am unsure whether to stick with this, or move to a 27" 2560x1440. The res on that will be nice too. Pricewise, not much difference if I'm going top end of the 27 and bottom end 34.

I run 2 980TI's. Most graphic intensive game I've run is ARK, which sucks when it comes to the 34" screen, doesn't seem to handle hi res very well.

Thoughts? I'm looking at the below options:
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products...g-35in-g-sync-curved-ultrawide-gaming-monitor

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33848/asus-pg279q-rog-swift-27in-165hz-g-sync-ips-gaming-monitor

I feel like the AOC = amazing.
    The ASUS = Best for fps type gaming?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

That AOC is teh sex. As long as you're ok with VMA and 100hz max.

Would still want to see one up close first.

3. OP
    OP
    jowjeh

jowjeh Member

I noticed the AGON's curve is 2000R which supposedly is more of a curve than say the ASUS $1800 beast. not sure if that's actually better or worse?

I do enjoy my screen quite a lot, i love the widescreen gaming, just need that FPS boost and something like this will do it. Just a damn hard choice!!

4. OP
    OP
    jowjeh

jowjeh Member

What's the deal with VMA? Is it so bad?

5. OP
    OP
    jowjeh

jowjeh Member

The AOC isn't out yet, so maybe I am not in as much of a rush as I thought. Looks like it'll be available in a couple of days.

6. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

Had both 34" 100hz curved Acer and 165hz IPS swift (current screen). Ended up selling the Acer keeping the Swift.

- If you play single-player games or multi as real casual gamer then 34" is fine
    - If you play FPS more as competitive (read, want to finish on top of the table/play occasional small tournaments) then the 27" is much better option.

AOC looks really nice tho, and the price is nearly on the same mark as the Swift....I'm pretty happy I'm not the one deciding between those 2 :)

7. OP
    OP
    jowjeh

jowjeh Member

Man, I just went and bought the 27".

I used one in store and it's just so damn smooth.. I wanted that. 27" in terms of size and res is fine I think. I may even end up with a little more desk space.

The problem is adjusting to the reduced monitor size will be a bit difficult for me, but I'm gonna do that tonight. And I might actually be able to spot things more in FPS!

Nice to see you did the same thing, that is reassuring.

8. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I have a 27" IPS @ 1440p and I think I will stick with IPS panels from now on for vivid colour, but each to their own.