Need help Win2k Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Novice, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Novice

Novice (Banned or Deleted)

hey, i installed winamp and the new nvidia drivers, restarted and when it goes to log on (default as administrator) it tells me that my profile has been courpt, i have tried uninstalling both of the lasted things i installed and still says the same thing, what can i do, currently using another login name that i created but most of my programs and games dont run even though i have given permission for me to run them under this name and have made it an administrator, please tell me there is a way to fix my profile, or make a new one for administrator

thanks

MaCCa

2. =BF=

=BF= Member

You could try ... renaming the current administrator profile to administrator.old and log in as admin.
    A new admin profile should be created automagically.

Or copying your current profile to administrator.

Whatever you do you'll prolly have to set up all the shortcuts and stuff again.

Once your going again, don't use the Admin login for daily use FFS.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2002
  3. OP
    OP
    Novice

ok thanks, just one more thing, where is the profile kept ??

4. =BF=

=BF= Member

Under Documents and Settings.

5. OP
    OP
    Novice

6. BlackPantha

BlackPantha Member

Why do you say this?

7. BOB_LORDOFEVIL

BOB_LORDOFEVIL Member

Because if your under the Admin Account anything can happen, say if you downloaded a file which contained a trojan, it could do anything to your pc, where as if you were under another username without Admin rights, it couldnt do much because most system settings are restricted. But i still run under Admin Anyway :D

8. gords

gords Oh deer!

I'd find it a pain in the neck to have to re-logon everytime I wanted to install or uninstall programs or do normal admin-type tasks. This is the reason I use the administrator account on my machine.

I'm not gonna be running any trojans or viruses on my machine anyway... ;)

9. BOB_LORDOFEVIL

BOB_LORDOFEVIL Member

Trojans and viruses are made so you dont know you run them :)

10. jimbow

jimbow Member

Or you could make a profile for yourself that has admin priv's, and keep the 'Administrator' account for emergencies (like, say... this!)

11. gords

gords Oh deer!

Oh, really? I didn't know trojans and viruses are disguised! :rolleyes:
    IMO, you've gotta be pretty naïve to open a trojan or virus. Even without anti-virus software, there's so many things that you can do to make sure you don't get infected...

12. Jay

Jay Member

Personally I only ever use the Administrator accout to fix things, and I have another account as Admin for my everyday use. Basically so I don't have all the usual crap from my normal account on Administrator when I use it. But that's justme.

13. Kaji

Kaji Member

Well, it's just good practice. All the places I've worked at, no-one ever uses the Administrator account for anything, except for emergencies. Use an account with administrative privliges for day-to-day stuff. Since I hardly classify my machine as mission-critical (no matter how much I love it) there's no problem in having full access when I do stuff.

14. Higins

Higins Member

Thats what "run as" is for.
    Hold shift then right click on what it is you want to run, then go to run as, then you are prompted for the user account you want to use to run that application

15. Spiff

Spiff Member

if you have a separate account with administrator priviledges, and you happen to run a trojan, is the effect the same as if you were to run it from the administrator account?

16. commando

commando Member

FORMAT!

17. Spiff

Spiff Member

format? it hasn't happened to me or to anyone i know yet.

my question was more along the lines of the amount of damage it could do. obviously running it from the administrator account would be much worse than running it from a user account (who has no admin or superuser priviledges). but what about running it from a user account that has admin and/or superuser priviledges. where does that fit into the scheme of damage (control)? is it as bad as running it from the administrator account? if not, why not?

curious to know,
    Spiff