Need help with colour co-ordination.

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by jediguy, Aug 18, 2002.

1. jediguy

jediguy Putin's alter-ego

I'm in the process of designing a new vBulletin style, which is going OK, besides the fact that I am incredibly bad at choosing colours that fit nicely together. Here is a screenshot of a preliminary design (please ignore the dodgy graphics in the main forum area - the banner is the only graphic I'm going to keep) - I'm just wondering if you people could suggest a few colours (background, category, font etc.) that would go with the banner.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/jediguy/showcase.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. thetron

thetron Member

man thats Ugly

3. OP
    OP
    jediguy

4. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

hehe, nice reading there thetron :D ;)

JediGuy: The Logo Looks sweet..

maybe go a silver/grey combo on the forum section ;)

5. thetron

thetron Member

start from scrach and go back to the orginal purple interface and work from there

6. OP
    OP
    jediguy

Why? The purpose of this is for YOU to suggest some new colours.

EDIT: Thanks for that, CSMITH, I was thinking of Silver. What other colours go well with that, (fontwise)?

7. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

kinda hard to picture at the mo, i keep looking.. although.. the OCAU color scheme would suit..

font = black.. blacks aways good :D

8. thetron

thetron Member

starting from scrach

and just play with the Color codes
    I would go for a simlar theme to Windows XP Silver

9. funkychild

funkychild Member

Why would you choose that?? Design isn't about choosing techniques/styles because you think 'oooh this looks cool!'; you've got to make decisions based on appropriateness.

Jediguy: The first questions in any design work should be "What am I trying to communicate?" and "Who am I trying to communicate it to?". Once you've got these worked out, try and think of ways to visually represent the answers to those questions. As a very quick example, if you want to communicate ideas of LOTR/medieval type things, you could think of what conjures up those sorts of images in your mind. For me, that would be things like wood, rope, thatched roofs, elaborate armour, torn brown ragged cloth, vast fields, horses and carts. When you've worked those sorts of things out, then you can pick some colours from those ideas that would represent them well and be communicative of what you want to show.

Another trick for coming up with colour schemes is to find a photograph (ideally in some sort of natural setting since there are less clashing colours) that represents your idea well, and pick shades of the major colours in that photograph. Sometimes this can work surprisingly well.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2002
  10. OP
    OP
    jediguy

Cheers. Much appreciated. :)

11. Darkness'

Darkness' Never a frown..

Funkychild pretty much said exactly what i was going to say. If it's going to be a medievil board, then you need things that reflect that. For colors, I would be going for stong silvers and metallic colors for headings or important bits. Then various other colors like dull blue's or browns maybe for simple things.

Tron : If you aren't going to help, shuddup. Oh and if it's one more thing the world DOESN'T need it's more things that look like WinXP!

12. thetron

thetron Member

couldn't tell it was a Medieval forums, i suggest earthy light yellow colors

also look at some medieval web sites or medieval role playing games and get some ideas on color schemes

he didn't cleary in the post a describtion on what the forum was and it's purpose, if he did people would of went "oh it's medieval site, uses dark greeny and pasty yellow color"

13. Geo

Geo Member

Couldnt you extract that from the forum name and titles?

14. almghty

almghty Member

banner looks nice.

As does the grey background with the elvish runes, for me those runes could stand out alittle more..not too much..just a little.

Lose the thatch colour ..could probably go with a plain BLACK background and have the gold lettering of the elvish runes coming through alot more.

The main headings "Shores of Valinor" and "General Discussion" ..etc etc ..may benefit from a bright hue ..in this case perhaps a brighter white.

Could try something like that ..then we could review it again on whatever advice you have decided to take out of this thread.

15. thetron

thetron Member

nope

doesn't really describe it is a Medieval sites, sure it has medieval fonts handly any pictures describing it like a dragon picture doing poses like this

[​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    jediguy

The 'thatch' colour is what's wrong with my video card. :(

17. Darkness'

Darkness' Never a frown..

You couldn't pick out the top logo, the JRT symbol, the evlish script, the font of acient black hand etc? What diploma did you do again? You don't have to have dragons posing in oder to make a site look effective.

That aside, I agree that the evlish script should come out a bit more, it may be better on the forum itself as the JPG probably has compressed it a little.

The background needs to be darkened/blurred/removed or something, just so it doesn't take the main focus away from the actual content. A less detailed one is often better. :)

Stick with the colors from the banner, rich golds, blues and silvers and just make them stand out. I would definatly make each forum title a rich/bright golden color. Give us an update soon :)

D.

18. thetron

thetron Member

dam you hijacker
    i am not, i've said to everyone a few time i left my course so i can fix my spelling and grammer

now end of discusstion about me :) get back to color suggestion for the site

19. OP
    OP
    jediguy

Yep, sure will give an update. I'm just getting all the images (for the category headers and the like) worked out so I can get some colours happening based on those images.

20. OP
    OP
    jediguy

EDIT: <read my following post>

Last edited: Aug 31, 2002