Need help with new audio setup for gaming

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Ap0c, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Going to build a new system soon and I’m so out of the loop with sound cards/onboard sound etc etc.

I have an old Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty card that’s like 7 years old and the driver support these days is a pain and I’d almost prefer to step away from the pci-e route if there are better more simplified options out there.

I’ll be getting the Asus ROG Z370-E motherboard so I’m wondering if the onboard sound on that will be fine for gaming? All I do on my system is game, I’m not a huge music head and won’t be wanting to play the highest quality music from my PC. I’ll be playing FPS games like CSGO, Battlefield, PUBG etc as well as some Racing Sims.

From my brief research it looks like there are a couple of options, correct me I’d im wrong please and inform me of an option I’ve missed if I have.

Option 1: Use stock standard Onboard Sound with my headphones plugged in.

Option 2: Buy one of the current sound cards for improved sound quality over the onboard but this is where I’m not sure if the increase in quality is even noticeable in games.

Option 3: Really not knowledge on this but do you buy an external DAC and plug that into the onboard and that increases the quality or something and that is all you need for gaming?

Please guide me in the right direction :)

2. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Looking at that mobo it looks like the onboard audio could be decent but it's hard to know. If you're not particularly into high quality audio then it might do the trick for you, at the very least it wouldn't hurt to try it out.

An external dac and a sound card are basically the same thing so don't get too caught up in it all. An external or internal sound card will probably have more software with various gaming centric options, an external dac is likely to be more an audiophile thing, simpler and focused on outputting a relatively untouched stereo signal. Well this is kinda the general picture.

An external dac or external sound card will most commonly connect to your pc via usb but I think they can often use the optical output of your onboard audio or internal sound card as well.

Audio is very subjective, I'd try your onboard audio and see how you like it. If it's obviously lacking or you can have a listen to someone else's gear and prefer it then think about a sound card. Internal or external I personally wouldn't care unless you're going super cheap where the pc innards may interfere with the sound output of a cheap internal card. Internal can be neater but you might want to free up a pci-e slot or have a volume knob on your desk so go external.

3. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

As above: just use onboard and see if you're happy with it. Most people find it's fine. You didn't mention what headphones you have: if they're crummy they'd be the weakest link regardless.

4. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Hyper-X Clouds so nothing crazy.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it