Need nbn modem recommendations

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Azer1234, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Hi guys,

Can I get some advice on what modem to buy. Ive got fttp, nbn with tpg.

They supplied me a netcomm nf12 which has done the job for a few years but now i need more ports and a stronger wifi signal

- need 8 ports
    - strong wifi signal, strong at 25m (bad design choice, network ports/modem are in the loft. We can pickup the current modems signal in common rooms but its weak)
    - ideal budget $400 or so

Ive tried using a switch and a booster, its just not working out as the hardware is cheap and not reliable, causing drop outs. I think a good quality modem will fix the issues ive got and simplify the setup

Cheers

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

Well for fttp you only need a router... not many domestic grade ones come with 8 ports so you will need to add a switch...

Do you own or rent??
    If you own have you looked at using a dedicated WaP??

a router and switch will give you 10 ports all up (3 on the router and 7 on the switch .. one port on each used as the link) trying to find a switch with more than 8 but less than 16 ports is hard...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Interesting. Youll have to help me figure this out, Im good with computers (hobby, not professionally) but networking has always been the bane of my existence.

We own the property. No idea what WaP is but I can start looking into it. Are you saying I can use a router such as the ASUS RT-AC88U instead of its modem router brother the DSL-AC3100?

There is definitely fibre going into our NBN box outside. From the box there is cat 6 going to our loft where the modem is. All network points in the house meet in this location.

4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

WAP = Wireless Access Point, an extra device that either plugs in to your wired network and transmits it's own or relays/expands the range of existing WIFI due to its placement.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  5. Pugs

Pugs Member

Wireless Access Point..

Well yes.. give the router a shot if that provides enough wifi for your needs... but if it doesn't then have a look at a WAP

6. OP
    OP
    Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Oh, so a booster. Yeah weve been using one for a while but the missus complains about netflix buffering so now we plug the tv in wired which is the only network point in that vicinity. So no more booster.

Thats awesome that all i need is a router.

Next question - pccg has these for $400 but there are US OEM ones on ebay for $250

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-OEM...600279?hash=item260f4f1d17:g:zOAAAOSwXNdceipm

Grab it or stay away?

I wont be using many, if any, of the bells and whistles such as gaming features. Keen on this on for is wifi range and 8 ports.

7. darkanjel

darkanjel Member

Consistency at 25m through multiple walls is a big ask for any singular device. Switch and WAPs are still your best bet. Wired connections will always be more consistent than wifi; consider getting your home wired professionally for multiple WAPs, or Ethernet over Power if power points are on the same circuit.

A "good quality modem" generally means enterprise-grade hardware, or a PC running as a gateway. Instead, I would investigate which device is causing the "drop out" (and define what a drop out is) and fix/replace that device/module.

To give you an example, I'm running Opnsense on an old server, $20 TP-Link unmanaged switches and a $40 TP-Link wireless AP with a standard freebie modem/router. When running standalone, the modem/router crashes as soon as I run torrents, presumably due to overloading NAT, whereas this setup runs flawlessly for me... not 25m wifi flawless, not good enough that it works at 25m through walls, but not having to run around resetting devices and everything just works.

Alternatively, the "simple" you're currently looking for would be quite expensive and probably won't resolve your issues.

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

not a booster.. a dedicated Wireless access point these are hardwired back to the switch and have antennas for each band...

9. caspian

caspian Member

Azer1234 likes this.