Need new fan/cooler for AMD PHENOM II 1090T?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by tumutbound, Nov 29, 2015.

1. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

My 5 year old server has started to overheat and I'm pretty sure it's the fan. If I set the BIOS (Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H) for no intelligent CPU cooling, it should run flat out all the time, the maximum RPM I'm seeing is 3245.
    Sound like the fan is the culprit?

During normal operation, it sits on around 45° but if i start up VMware and run a Windows 7 guest, it slowly climbs up to 60°, probably higher as I have had the system shut itself down.

Seeing this is a 5 year old CPU, are after-market (or even stock) fans still available for these?
    The budget doesn't run to a new CPU/motherboard unfortunately.:(

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. lithos

lithos Member

No. 1090T you say?

You should just sell it to me and buy a new CPU...:Paranoid:

Seriously, though: it's an AM3 socket. Same as the current AMD's...so any cooler that's out for any of the modern AMD desktop CPUs will fit.

3. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if current AMD processors were the same for fan mounting.
    I'd love to buy a new motherboard/CPU but funds are limited so make do.

4. lithos

lithos Member

*Technically*, it's AM3+ we're on now...

...but that's just to do with the electronics of the CPU, the mounting hardware's the same.

This is why I love AMD.

5. IKT

IKT Member

6. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Before you go and buy a new heatsink/fan. Try replacing the thermal paste and giving the current heatsink a good clean. But it does sound like your running the stock cooler

I've got a 1055T (95wTDP) @ 4.1 ghz with a 212+ cooler and it never gets warm. 212x are around $55 purchased one last week for an i5 2400 system

Click to view full size!

The dark rock is a nice cooler but is massive overkill for the 1090T. Those dual stack coolers are designed for Ivy bridge and later heat monsters.

7. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Be Quiet Pure Rock $10 cheaper than a hyper 212 and slightly outperforms it for thermals and acoustics. :thumbup:

Before you buy anything make sure you give your current cooler a decent clean out, it may simply be clogged with dust.

8. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll get stuck into it with a paint brush and the vacuum cleaner tomorrow. As soon as I can laya my hands on some thermal paste, I'll replace ti.

Tonight it seems to be running a bit cooler - although it's only 11° outside so that probably helps.I run VMware under Linux and starting up a Windows guest has seen the temperature climb by 10 or 15° in about 5 minutes. Tonight that hasn't happened.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  9. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

How did you go?

10. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

As I mentioned in my last post, it seems to have cooled down a lot, no alarms for overtemp.
    Running Sketchup under VMware last night (something that in the past has increased temperature) did not see the CPU rise over 50°.
    All I've done is to brush and vacuum out the cabinet and CPU fan.

11. lithos

lithos Member

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

13. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

That one seems pretty good for the price - even with $15 shipping. No chance a local computer shop would stock it.

14. philquad

philquad Member

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/zalman-cnps90f-cpu-heatsink-and-fan-save-$14

15. lionman

lionman Member

MSY stock Deepcool. They have a store in Glenorchy.

16. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Finally got around to doing something about this.
    Went to MSY (in Gelnorchy)) and bought some Noctua NT-H! compound.($11)
    Cleaned up the CPU and cooler surface with a little isopropyl alcohol - the old compound was crumbly and dry. Put a thin smear of NT-H1 on the CPU surface and refitted the cooler.

System fired up OK - which is good.
    Has the same CPU temperature - which is bad.

Playing a Youtube video or running Sketchup under a VM sees the temperature start to climb to 70° - which is where I've set the audible alarm.
    Fan seems to be pulling a good amount of air and the fins are clear of dust. Next step will be to get a new cooler.
    I've checked all the voltages with the monitor software (Linux based) as well as with a multimeter, all seem within spec.

EDIT: I took a break for a couple of hours to play around with the XYZ-Carve and now the system seems to have settled down, temperature wise. Currently sitting on 47°. When I fire up Sketchup or Youtube, it only goes up to about 54° after 10 minutes or so.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  17. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Noctua NHL12

I know this is an old thread but as I've finally installed a new CPU cooler, I thought I'd post an update.
    System has been working but any serious number crunching (2+2 type of stuff), the temperature started to rise quickly. I did get an over temperature alarm occasionally which I solved by not doing any real processing.

Monday I bought a Noctua NH-U14S which I carefully checked on the Noctua site to make sure it would not interfere with memory, add on cards etc with my motherboard (Gigabyte 870GPA). I should have paid more attention to the height as despite the super large case I have, it wouldn't fit without leaving a side off. Went back to MSY today and swapped it for a Noctua NH-L12, a dual fan. low profile model. Dead easy to install and quiet!
    Current CPU temperature is around 31° whereas previously, it sat around 50°.

18. Mensuri

Mensuri Member

Now that's a nice improvement

19. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Just installed a couple of Noctua case fans, 120mm and 92mm.
    Do they ever make a difference to the noise level! Not sure what effect they will have on cooling but it has to be better than the single, 8 year old, 120mm fan that was in there - not sure if it was still running.
    Well worth the $55.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016