Need New Laptop: Dual Core i5 vs i7 - What's the Difference?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by trackhappy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Hi all,

I have a bit of a... situation, with my HP Revolve 810 G3. It took a small tumble off the bed, onto a hardwood floor, mind, and this has killed the motherboard, from what I can tell. The laptop is just plain stone dead, will not power on, will not take power, it is a paperweight. That HP want $2,600 to fix.

I'd like to know how a device that supposedly conforms to MIL-STD-810 cannot tolerate a 30cm drop from an ensemble bed, considering the friggin' model number itself is an advertisement for these rugged features...

Anyway, I'm going to attempt an insurance claim. We've been with Suncorp for 25 years, and have made probably two claims ever, for stolen bikes. I had another laptop stolen (my X230T) a few years ago when was never claimed for, because I finished education at the time anyway. But I'm hoping I can swing those things in my favour.

Now, on to the big question. What is the difference between the dual core, hyperthreaded i5, and the dual core, hyperthreaded i7, apart from price? Is it worth paying the extra for? I suppose it's not *too* much in the laptop I want, a Lenovo X270, and there is little new old stock left, but I can choose between an i5 for $1600, and an i7 for $2100, if I remember those prices correctly, and the latter of which doubles the RAM, to roughly equal what I had in the 810.

The CPUs in the X270 are i5-7200U, i5-7300U, and i7-7500U. Intel ARK Compare.

I'm struggling to see the advantage, besides a bit more cache, a bit more clock, and a bit more graphics.

Can someone set me straight? Should I even be looking at the X270? I know it's discontinued, but I love how serviceable it is, I've always loved the ThinkPads. I adored my X230T, my X230 got me out of a bind, and I've fallen in love with the X270, rose tinted glasses and everything.

Cheers

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

3. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Do you need more power tha IPAD?

I ask this question as so many people look at performance as key when it comes to laptops.
    If all your doing is MS office and watching YouTube an i3 with 8gb will be fine.

If you game/render than figure out why you are considering a laptop and is it really that I want a laptop or should I get a desktop and tablet.

4. OP
    OP
    trackhappy

trackhappy Member

I should probably mention this.

My use case for the new laptop is that it has to be a road warrior, so, small, portable, half arsed decent battery, etc. This said, I've actually been in love with UMPCs for a very long time, ever since I saw that Sony(?) thing about 12 years ago that ran full fat Windows XP in a 4 inch screen and an ultra low power Loleron, I've wanted one - even to the chagrin of how usable it wouldn't have been. I've been watching reviews of the GPD Pocket 2, and I've honestly wanted one more than my next breath.

My MacBook Pro needs repairs; specifically a new screen, new batteries, and a new base plate. I don't think it'd be right to claim this on insurance because even though the battery is severely damaged from what would've been a fault with the machine, it could be considered general wear and tear, couldn't it? I've been meaning to take it in to the Apple Store to get it quoted, and I might do that tomorrow or whenever I can get in with a genius bar appointment.

I'm thinking it would be stupid to buy two Windows laptops. I'm thinking, repair the Mac, and buy the little Pocket thing. Surprisingly, that Core m3-8100Y CPU actually stands toe to toe with the CPU in the HP! Benchmark here yonder.

Maybe it's the rose tinted glasses again, but looking at the reviews, I think I could make compromises for ultra portability, and honestly, just having something different, a niche product. It'd be super handy in the car for storm chasing, too. I could literally stick the whole thing in a suction cup tablet holder. I could do the same thing with a Surface, I know, but the Surface is a hell of a lot bigger.

I dunno. Sanity check, anyone? Wish me luck on the phone with the insurance tomorrow. Or, 'tomorrow', since I'm calling them today.

Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019