Need some opinions on home server setup

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by tek_01, Jan 1, 2012.

1. sreg0r

sreg0r Member

Considering this is OCAU I assume most people asking about building a home server have a pretty good knowledge of computers so going from a GUI environment to Solaris is not a huge step-up for basic administrative tasks. You have to compromise on either simplicity or performance, I'm willing to deal with a more complex system so I can run VMs but that may not necessarily apply to everyone.

I haven't used it but I believe it's fairly rudimentary to install Napp-it which is a webgui for Solaris.

2. aokman

aokman Member

There is no compromise, FreeNAS is just as capable at saturating a gigabit link as Solaris is while being easy to administrate. Also you can go forwards to Solaris but you cannot go from Solaris to FreeNAS if you changed your mind due to ZFS versions if the arrays are full of data.

It is easy to use Napp-it yes but it only covers the very basics on things that were already easy to do.

I get that you want more features etc and that's fine, so do i and i run Solaris as part of ESXi VM's.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. Zoiks

Zoiks Member

Im trying to figure out what OS I am going to use which as pointed out in my other thread can well dictate what hardware I buy.

What I need:
    ZFS
    Ability to install torrent client,SabNZB, sickbeard, couchpotato, mediafrontpage/mastichino etc
    SMB, FTP etc

Options:
    Freenas - Version 8 does not support a lot of stuff version 7 supported natively but apparently you can install alot of the above software on it.

Solaris/Openindiana - Alot more complex, but better performance. Ability to install alot of the above stuff. Solaris apparently does not support a lot of power management features.

esxi + Solaris/Openindiana - Most complex but most powerful. Can install Solaris/Openindiana + linux or windows or whatever. exsi effectively kills any video capabilities. Not sure what other VM's I would make other then a linux one to install anything I couldnt figure out how to do on Openindiana. Im not sure how esxi effects power management

4. OP
    OP
    tek_01

tek_01 Member

Yes i just bought the rest of the pc now i need to decide what version of freenas im going to use
    ver 8 doesnt support raid 5?

5. aokman

aokman Member

freenas 7 is superior to 8 in general. I would go with that :)

6. OP
    OP
    tek_01

tek_01 Member

Im trying to boot from cd and run it live
    wont work, comes up cant load kernel

Dont even get up to any selection if i want to install/run cd
    trying a diff version now

just incase im missing something this is what i did
    download .iso file
    burn with clonecd
    insert and boot

brand new MB asrock h61m u3s3 8gb ram with the 4x1.5tb drives and a dvd rom
    trying older version

edit: didnt work...
    MB has the new UEFI, does that matter? dont think it should
    it detects all 4 hdds (havent formatted them or nothing, they are as they came from previous owners)
    halp! lol

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. aokman

aokman Member

ensure the CD is being burnt correctly, cant really comment as i dont use clonecd.

Also can try changing the SATA more to IDE, instead of ACHI etc depends on the main board features. Usually cant load kernel means something went wrong with the CD as it is reading the start of it.

8. OP
    OP
    tek_01

tek_01 Member

bios has sata mode: Disable, IDE or AHCI
    its set on IDE for all devices

clone cd is nothing special, very simple img burn program

:/
    off to a great start

9. aokman

aokman Member

i would try another program as it sounds like a filesystem error unless it doesn't like the sata controller but it sounds like the bootloader is starting

10. OP
    OP
    tek_01

tek_01 Member

Doesnt like the sata 3 ports.. i had the 4 drives in the sata 2 and the 1 dvd in sata 3
    removed a drive and put it in a sata II port and it worked
    sigh

I have to use a x64 version for 8gb ram right?
    Im going to pick up a 250gb drive tonight or tomorrow so i can use that for boot drive (might have problems with that running on sata 3 as well wont i?)

11. aokman

aokman Member

you can always run it off a usbkey, freenas doesnt need any grunt for the OS files :)

12. OP
    OP
    tek_01

tek_01 Member

Might do that
    What would you suggest that would give me an additional 4 sata ports so i can setup a 2nd array (cheap is good)

13. aokman

aokman Member

some sort of HBA card would do the trick

i use a DELL SAS 6/iR which i got for $50 and it gives me 8 sata ports :)

14. OP
    OP
    tek_01

tek_01 Member

15. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

I get 70MB/s read from my off-the-shelf $250 4-bay NAS. Write speeds are woeful (25MB/s) though. ;)

I'd argue you can't really get a 4-drive solution in a DIY scenario cheaper than a NAS (well, not in a decent form-factor anyway). The cases alone are usually $100+, and for a nice one (Fractal) you're looking $250.

Anyway, just pointing out that NASes a helluva lot cheaper for the 95% of the functionality. The only thing I can't really do on my NAS is get better speeds (I have all the SSH/rsync/nail facilities, and could install Debian if I really wanted more apps).

Actually there are a LOT of backup apps on the market now that do support VSS (backing up open files). Deltacopy just hasn't kept up with the times.

16. OP
    OP
    tek_01

tek_01 Member

So far mine has cost
    $100 for bitfenix alpha case and FSP 500w PSU (new)
    $80 for core i3 2120 CPU (used)
    $120 for h61m-u3s3 MB and 8gb gskill ram
    So $300 not including drives, not too bad for what it is
    to get an 8 drive NAS it would cost that much im sure

17. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

Case in point. That is a huge box (physically) with significant power draw. I'd agree that you wouldn't get an 8-drive NAS for anything like that, but even an 8-bay NAS would be significantly smaller and more power efficient.

But if you're going to use 8 drives, I reckon that's probably a pretty good way to go! Cheap as chips anyway... good buying!

18. aokman

aokman Member

Well thats a very open ended argument, i could build a 4 hdd capable NAS for $100 using a C2D or something similar, add another $50 HBA card and it will take 12 hdds aswell.

For price and performance and expandability you cannot go past a DIY NAS.

Deltacopy is a free program so obviously it wont be great with its feature set but many programs will struggle with outlook PST database files as they seem to be locked when the file is open.

People keep harping on about efficiency when they really have no idea how much it actually costs, in the real world 20w difference is almost nothing price wise, yes dedicated NAS's are generally lower however HDD power usage makes up the majority of the load which is equal on any platform, a DIY can use more or similar power depending on the hardware choice but it will also be much faster and flexible for the given power usage.

19. OP
    OP
    tek_01

tek_01 Member

Ill have to check the power draw... hope its not that 'significant' as video is built in, cpu is a new gen and should be fairly power efficient.

EDIT: Just checked quickly, maxed out 140w booting, 82w idling although this is just in the freenas menu so not much is happening

20. aokman

aokman Member

82w idle is pritty good depending on the hdds you have.

You can improve this quite a bit by enabling spindown on the HDD's that will drop it to 40-50w usually. Also winding back the vcore on the CPU makes quite a diff.

My old C2D rig was in the 70's with 4 Hitachi 7200rpm drives that loved power. These days with 8 drives and many network cards / its around 110w with ESXi and multiple virtual machines running at once so it scales very well when you tack on more stuff.