Need suggestions VPN and VLANS

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by phil_is_mrx, Jun 1, 2019.

1. phil_is_mrx

phil_is_mrx Member

Hi Everyone,

I've currently got NBN via HFC and I'm using a TP-Link VR600 v2 for the routing duties. I also have an account with Private Internet Access (PIA) for VPN duties.

The VR600 is not capable of routing traffic through a VPN (no VPN client) and isn't flashable with any aftermarket firmware. It also has 2.4ghz and 5ghz WIFI, but I've found that the 5ghz band isn't very strong unless the connecting device is pretty close to the router (this isn't a big concern).

What I would like to end up with is having 2 separate V/LANS each with its own WIFI SSID in the house where one of them has all traffic routed via PIA and the other one has it directly from the ISP.

What is the cheapest/easiest option to get this done? What routers should I be looking at? Will dd-wrt, tomato or openwrt be able to do what I'm after? Can a router do this out of the box? If so, any suggestion on which router to get?

Thanks.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

cheap, easy, good. Pick two.

Do you own the house?

Idafe007 and phil_is_mrx like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    phil_is_mrx

phil_is_mrx Member

Cheap (under $250) and easy. Preferably with a single device hanging off of the supplied NBN modem.

Own the house but don't want to run any cabling if possible.

Small house, 2.4ghz reaches all of it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  4. money_killer

money_killer Member

phil_is_mrx likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    phil_is_mrx

phil_is_mrx Member

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately I've just signed up for another 2 years with PIA! It's good that expressvpn provide users with their own firmware. Wish PIA did that....

Had a look through the expressvpn website, I do like how you can select which devices are routed through the VPN.

What I'd like to do is create a separate VLAN with its own WIFI SSID (and ethernet port allocation if possible) and route everything through a VPN tunnel on the way out.

Also there will be a 'normal' VLAN with its own WIFI SSID and that would have direct connection to the internet.

6. Primüs

Primüs Member

Any model of Mikrotik with your required interfaces should do the trick:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/guides/other-hardware/mikrotik/mikrotik-pptp-2

hAP ac would be my suggestion - 2.4ghz and 5ghz, gigabit ethernet and can easily set up multiple ssid (on both bands) and have them route differently.

Requires a decent amount of knowledge to set up the routing and specifics but very do-able (they are extremely flexible boxes once you learn them)

phil_is_mrx likes this.
  7. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Just keep in mind a lot of the cheaper routers flashed with DD-WRT will be capped at anywhere from 30 - 90mbps depending on the CPU they have when using openvpn. So if you' want the max 100mbps on your HFC connection you may struggle.

Double check before you buy. For example my R7000 could only push 30-40mbps via openvpn.

phil_is_mrx likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    phil_is_mrx

phil_is_mrx Member

Thanks Primüs, seems a little beyond my abilities. Looked into it, RouterOS does seem highly configurable though.
    Thanks for that info. I've just bought a TP-Link Archer C9 that I'll put DD-WRT on.

That speed cap that you mention is OK with me, cos I'm on a 50mbit plan.

9. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Awesome. The C9 uses a bit of an older CPU so you're more likely going to be hitting a cap of 30mbps max. But sounds like that might be okay for your needs.

Let us know how you go.

phil_is_mrx likes this.
  10. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I think a lot will depend on the cipher used, but it seems other users with that SoC in ASUS devices have achieved OpenVPN link speeds in the 40-50mbps range. Hopefully it delivers for you!

phil_is_mrx likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    phil_is_mrx

phil_is_mrx Member

Got it up and running. Managed 41 down and 18 up over wifi.

So I'm pretty happy with that :)

12. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Cool!

phil_is_mrx likes this.
  13. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Pfsense on some spare hardware and use the existing WiFi as an access point only would have been the near $0 solution.

phil_is_mrx likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    phil_is_mrx

phil_is_mrx Member

Had a look into that, but it won't run properly on my raspberry pi which is quite under powered too.