Need to buy a piano for kids

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by echelon6, May 25, 2020.

1. echelon6

echelon6 Member

I have young kids and I want to start them off on a musical journey. I think the next step for us is to buy a piano, but I have no idea where to start. Wife and I are not experienced.

I do know I probably want to buy a 2nd hand decent brand, but that's about all I know. I don't even know what to expect in terms of spend, but whatever the sweetspot is, in terms of quality / longevity.

Could someone suggest:

1) where to look? ebay / gumtree / music forums (which)?
    2) how to assess? do I pay a piano tuner to come with me to inspect? or can I diy assess, given some information?
    3) what is a reasonable budget? not looking for something ultra, just an upright 'normal' one
    4) is it necessary I pay a piano tuner to tune it right initially?

Thanks!

2. power

power Member

most teachers will have a piano, if the kids take to it then move on from there - otherwise you have a piano, bastards are hard to get rid of - like exercise equipment, lol.

3. OP
    OP
    echelon6

echelon6 Member

In our situation it makes more sense to just buy one because the wife also wants to learn together with the kids. I might even too. Easier to get a tutor to come to us.

4. power

power Member

fair enough, i just remember i had one as a kid - no-one used the thing. Even though we did try a few lessons, the teacher got us to come to her anyway.

Gumtree seems to have loads of them for cheaps - because like I said they are like exercise equipment ppl start with the best of intentions then cbf'd.

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

If they are just learning I would recommend an full sized 88-key electric piano with a stand, pedals and weighted keys that feels and sounds as close to the real thing - one with speakers is much better for lessons plus headphone practice are a thing. Only go for the real-deal upright piano if they are keen to stick with it or are more experienced - and you want to put up with the massive size/weight and continual maintenance of annual professional tuning, etc.

Check reviews or visit a music store and have a play in person - then try to find second hand if required, or new with wty, etc.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  6. OP
    OP
    echelon6

echelon6 Member

oh wow I'm sold. Electric is the way to go.

Ok then that simplifies things heaps - I guess then, with electrics, should I buy a 2nd hand one or a new one? For example, would it be better to spend 2k on a new decent one, or 2k for a great one that originally RRPed 5 years ago for 10k haha

7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

any recommendations?? cheaper the better but still decent quality.

8. Hater

Hater Member

Casio CDP series will be more than enough, budget ~$600 or so for a new one. Less for second hand.

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

I prefer the free standing ones with pedals, weighted keys with good sensitivity and decent sound - but depends how much you want to spend.

Nothing that expensive, this one is $1450 new and reviews well, has bluetooth and sounds excellent:
    https://www.bettermusic.com.au/kawai-kdp110-es

edit: Aussie Top 4 under $1.5k

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    hippyhippy likes this.
  10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

We bought the Kawai at Christmas.. Love it. For the money nothing looked or sounded as good when we went shopping.

Sphinx likes this.
  11. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

I have a colleagues Yahama PS-20 still in its box, had been played over ten years ago, I believe it's still working, can check if you're interested. It's in Sydney.

I've also got an (I think M-Audio, will check the manufacturer/model later today) 49 key keyboard, there's a break in the internal plastic casing but it does work.

I'll confirm the second later, but if either can be of use to you they're free to go :)

echelon6 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    echelon6

echelon6 Member

Hey that's really nice of you but not necessary, thanks

Actually after some discussion, while a no brainer to me (electric being the way to go) my wife is NOT negotiating on this matter and insists on a mechanical real piano. So yeah. I pick my battles and this issue isn't important enough to me to fight over so I guess we will need to find a mechanical one. So back to my original questions - where would I start? gumtree? do I bring a piano pro with me to assess? haha....

spokeydokey likes this.
  13. connico

connico Member

Yamaha Upright is the way to go if you are looking for a mechanical piano at an affordable price used. Like a watch it needs to be tuned, yearly if heavily used. When looking for a used piano you just need to look for a few things;

1. Damage, make sure the piano is in a good condition, look both external and internal. Make sure the hinges, wheels and base locking mechanism works (if there is one)
    2. Keys, make sure you hit all keys several times and make sure there is no sag on the keys and the keys bounce back. Look for discolouration on the keys as well.
    3. Pedals, makes sure the pedals provide resistance and make sure they work and modify the tone of keys once depressed
    4. If the seat comes with it, also inspect
    5. Ask for any sheet music if they arn't replacing the piano
    6. Check the location of the piano and make sure it can be moved from the location. Stairs absolutely suck for moving pianos and removalist will charge you more
    7. Size, make sure it fits into the location and can be moved into that location without removing or modifying your house. Upgrights generally come in 4 sizes check them out and see what fits
    8. Per above, placement is important. Upright piano should be positioned with the back to a wall as the sound from an upright piano comes from the back of the instrument. The piano should be placed away from direct sunlight, doors (from door damage), air vents and air conditioners. Uprights are best placed against an internal wall as well. Also if the room has carpet, use piano casters...

Other reputable brands besides Yamaha include
    1. Kawai - Good brand with decent range of budget, mid and high end pianos. Bare in mind you won't see any in concerts...
    2. Sauter - Excellent but can be pricey
    3. Steinway - Excellent but can be pricey
    4. Steinbach - What we have at home.
    5. Eisenberg - Has a good reputation, don't know if still sold in Australia new but i've seen plenty of listings

I havn't mentioned the some very popular brands as they get very very expensive. Don't know why anyone with 50k + would buy an upright..

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    pksw, echelon6 and mAJORD like this.
  14. stiben

stiben Member

15. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Saw your reply just now. I finally got back to checking it last night, in case it's of use to anyone else the other is a Behringer UMX49 :)

Good luck in your search :)

Edit; 2/6/20 - the UMX49 is gone now.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    echelon6 and ex4n like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    echelon6

echelon6 Member

Thanks, very informative and helpful. What would be a good marketplace to search for a 2nd hand Yamaha? gumtree? ebay?

17. connico

connico Member

Both gumtree and yamaha get raided by used Piano sales man/stores but you'll be able to get a bargin if you keep on looking. It may take time. Ask family and friends first of course...

Facebook market place is a still relatively newish compared to gumtree and ebay. You can still get some bargins there

18. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I'm a classical pianist and play on a Casio CDP. For $500 I can tell you it's fantastic and also a hell of a lot less hassle to own than the real thing. If the wife can be persuaded it'll be well worth it

If not, my Alex Steinbach upright is great, very good quality. Bought new about a decade ago for $5k, could be had second hand around $2k. Any piano that is black and in good condition will go for about that much really, they're worth it as a decoration. If you don't mind brown timber you can get an old german piano that works fine for a few hundred bucks, allow a few hundred more for a service. If you're looking to splash out a bit you can't beat the sound and style of a yamaha baby grand

echelon6 and mAJORD like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    echelon6

echelon6 Member

Thanks, very helpful. What's your opinion on the Yamaha U3? seems like the Toyota Camry of pianos, quite commonly available

20. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Nice bright sound, easy action. Good for beginners if you get it for a tidy price :thumbup: Definitely get an inspection done by a tuner some of these have been around since 1970