Need to know Specs to make MKV compatible with bluray player

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by justakid, Oct 12, 2010.

1. justakid

justakid Member

hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a Soniq Bluray (302b) player that can play MKV files. Lately though I have run into a few files that won't play.

They either start to load and then skip to the next movie or they load but all you see is the bluray players 'wallpaper', even though the timecode is ticking.

I'm just wondering if there is particular setting I can look out for/alter to get them to work.

I think the chip is a decoding broadcom chip (not 100% sure).

2. deva_da_man

deva_da_man Member

I was going to post a question about this.
    Have you had ANY success playing back MKV files (1080p rips, etc)?

3. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

4. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

Don't know about that player but usually what stops one playing is excessive a or b frames (5/3 are fairly safe) as the players only have limited memory to store the frames and high levels of gmc (>3) or having cabac switched on can also cause problems. Also be aware that some people use a stupidly high profile despite the low bitrate they use and some players reject just on that.

5. mankmeister

mankmeister Member

6. OP
    OP
    justakid

justakid Member

thanks all for the response.

Mankmeister, just tried remuxing one of the problem files and it worked (simply added the mkv to the input files area and then hit start muxing for those interested). Will try the others later.

Lasmi: thanks mate, do you know if there is an app that will check the validity of the files?

Mansi: the actual codecs of the file that didn't work was x264 for video and ac3 for audio, but other files with these codecs did work so it must be something else...

deva_da_man: 10GB 1080p files work fine on my system (when they work)

7. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

Not the validity but mediainfo is great for looking at the settings used and you'll quickly learn the limitations of your player but keep in mind it won't pick up mankmeister's problem which I've seen a few times. If in doubt try the audio by itself then video by itself and see which fails.

8. OP
    OP
    justakid

justakid Member

cheers Lasmi, I've actually already got mediainfo installed and couldn't find a link between all my problem files. Unfortunately I've deleted most of them so couldn't try remuxing them.

In saying that I have just tried remuxing another file that I just god which didn't work and it's fixed it, so it seems that the main issue is the header.

9. Mr Davo

Mr Davo New Member

Hi Mankmeister,

Champion suggestion regarding MKVMerge.

I was struggling with my own Blu Ray rips, created from disk, using this tutorial:

http://ribolabs.wordpress.com/2009/05/23/guide-for-re-encoding-blu-ray-to-x264-mkv-megui/

I was able to create Blu Ray rips that would play on my computer, but no luck on the Blu Ray Player (Soniq QPB302B).

I still have some refining to do regarding my x264 settings, however I have finally made a break through due to your insight!

To all those out there who ripping Blu Ray disks the above tutorial is the only one that I have seen which will work with my Blu Ray Player, however this being said in order to get my audio streams sorted I did use a program called eac3to. Setting up eac3to is a bit of a scientific experiment, so before using the tutorial mentioned above, I recommend this one:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033822&highlight=blu-ray+mkv

Aside from the above tutorial links you will need:

1). A lot of processing power (preferrably Quad Core)
    2). Lots of time (to encode) - preferrably where your doing nothing else with your computer
    3). A lot of PATIENCE
    4). A bloody good sense of humour (because your efforts are likely to fall "face down" many times over).

Happy hunting :)

Cheers

Dave