Neighbours dogs attacking livestock - Ok to shoot?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by WJR, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JunkDogg

JunkDogg Member

I have actually had experience with this.

I grew up on a farm and quite a few family members still own farms.

Pay the money up front for a lawyer to send a letter notifying the Dog owners that if the dogs in future are found to be threatening, harassing or harming any livestock on the property. That the livestock owners are legally allowed to destroy the dogs. Make sure the letter states it is a final notice to comply or the dogs can/will be destroyed.

They don't have a leg to stand on. It does make for angry neighbours for a bit, but they have to understand that the livestock are not just pets they are income/investment. Any retaliation needs to be recorded etc if possible and they can be charged.

Our neighbours came good in the end.

I know it's not a good situation, but at the end of the day a dog that harms or destroys livestock in a farming situation must be destroyed or taken from the environment where this can occur.

2. josh_676

josh_676 Member

You're punishing the dogs for having shit owners. No problem with killing nuisance animals (I have in the past).

But make it crystal clear to the owners. I just think this middle of the night and tell no one is as weak as anything.

If you shoot it dump it in the middle of their driveway.

3. azzachaz

azzachaz Member

Don't forget these animals are actually attacking the livestock, it's not like they are just running loose.

My dog would never actually attack if it got out of the yard.

4. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I would have just shot all the offending animals by now, but after reading this post, do this.

5. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

No, its gone feral. Best to be shot. Its only a matter of time before it run rampart and attacks/kills a poor unsuspecting child.

OP on a side note, see if your council offers bounties on dog scalps.

In QLD feral dogs can be worth up to $250 each to councils. -Joke, but serious about bounties here.

6. bennyg

bennyg Member

The legislation's clear, owner has right to injure/kill, though only if the goats are being "farmed"... it hinges on that interpretation of the property by my quick analysis (also check if there are requirements for how a dog can be "injured" or "destroyed" perhaps they can ring the RSPCA or something for guidance? Also shows good faith.)

They've laid the groundwork and ticked the good faith box rather than blasting away from the start. They've contacted owners, sent letters, council, etc. I know when we had 2 German Shepherds on 20 acres when I was a kid, they'd get out whenever they pleased, its bloody hard to design a dog proof fence in soft ground for a smart dog that likes digging.

As for avoiding comeback, assuming the legal permission is there and there's no recourse from the police, people who want to be dicks can easily use the civil courts to further their dickery, unfortunately if they're motivated to waste money on court action you can be sure they'll find a lawyer who'll write your friends a letter of demand in fire and brimstone and maybe follow it into a court/tribunal to make your friends' life as hard as possible and even if their claim is baseless.

Neighbours are in the same group as family, except they are worse, they live close by

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  7. xplod140

xplod140 Member

My old man had goats once, even had fencing around them but someone's "pets" decided to dig under the fence and destroy all the goats without even eating them.

The dogs are now ash because you don't bury dead animals on a farm, unless you like attracting more unwanted pests.

They weren't shot "in the dark without telling anyone", it was broad daylight. And if the owners of the dogs didn't ask if they could roam your land attacking your animals, you don't need to send them a condolence card when they disappear.

8. Agg

Agg Administrator

If you want legal advice.. ask a lawyer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.