neotokyo: hl2 mod

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by samoo, Jul 4, 2009.

1. samoo

samoo Member

2. armbarcrash

armbarcrash Member

Seems a lot like a Cyberpunk version of CS from the 10 minutes I played.

3. Hitman

Hitman Member

Why would you compare this to TF2? Because it's online multiplayer? Source engine game? It's nothing like TF2 at all.

Basically Neotokyo is it's own game, you have 2 teams each with the goal to get the ghost and take it to a return point or kill everyone on the other team. Each player has 1 life, and the round starts again when one of those objectives is accomplished or the time is out. What makes it special is 3 different roles you can play as each with their pros and cons and differences and how the ghost itself works. Basically the person who picks up the ghost, who also has to lose their main weapon to do so, can see everyone on the other team within a fairly big range. They are then supposed to verbally announce to the team the location of those players using the compass on the screen and the distance shown for each person.

From what I've played so far, which was most of today, it seems pretty good. Theres a few issues, but overall the game is fairly well polished. Unfortuneatly one of the big issues is most people just treating it as a deathmatch game. I've had quite a few rounds where nobody will pickup the ghost, either because they don't know what to do or they don't want to lose their weapon and not get kills. I've also had quite a few rounds where the person who picks up the ghost, then switches to a pistol and continues to assault.

Basically this is a very team orientated game, and if you're on a silent team you're either going to be losing or not having fun.

4. OP
    OP
    samoo

samoo Member

Because theres a choice of classes, and capture based gameplay.

5. damnation

damnation Member

sounds like a copy of Dystopia a shadowrun based HL mod

6. Blah72

Blah72 Member

otherway round. Dystopia would be more a copy of neotokyo since neotokyo came out before it. I played it when it was released years ago for UT2004, was really promising. Then they canned it to develop it for the source engine, it has taken them so long i completely forgot about it.

I might go check it out now though.

7. )(arg0n

)(arg0n Member

haha, i still have an install for it here for ut2k4 somewhere :p

8. Simwah

Simwah Member

This game is pretty good, was playing it most of the weekend with the ocau-tf2 boys.

9. damnation

damnation Member

Apologies!! :)

10. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Just nabbing it now from 3fl, sounds good.

11. Buzz*

Buzz* Member

Gotta keep an eye out for those friendly detpack things though :Paranoid:

12. bioxeed

bioxeed Member

Or not.. Dys was originally thought up as a Q3 mod (but shelved) and ut2k4 was also considered as a candidate for an engine to mod. Suffice it to say the popularity of HL (and hence HL2) was enough to make us wait for the release of HL2 before getting stuck properly in.

That said given the material (Neuromancer, Shadowrun vs GITS) it's hard not to draw parallels.

13. Blah72

Blah72 Member

yeah but neotokyo actually was released for UT2k4, afaik dystopia was not actually released before its HL2 incarnation....not that it honestly matters. Both are really good mods and its nice to see neotokyo actually has been released, i thought it became vaporware for a while.

edit: the game frequently crashes and i dont get any music...anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  14. Rezin

Rezin Member

Is anyone running this in Win7? For some reason it stalls at the menu background with 'loading' in the bottom-right corner, and doesn't go any further... 90% of the time. Sometimes it works, and I have nfi why as nothing was changed. However, if I add "-dxlevel 90" to the launch options (Steam) it runs every time, but I have to change the video settings as they get reset. Any ideas?

15. Hitman

Hitman Member

I'd say it's something else, runs fine on windows 7 here.

16. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

are there any dystopia servers at all? i downloaded dystopia and found only one server. i dont suppose the game is dead in the water?

otherwise i'll probably look at this one... hopefully with more people.

been looking for a cyber punk genre game for a while now. last one was probably neocron 2 but that was a MMO.

edit: got neotokyo from ausgamers. will try tomorrow

the sound track in the game directory is awesome

edit: played a couple of hours this afternoon, this game has potential. the maps are so pretty too.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  17. karltron

karltron Member

this game looks like it takes the concept art from the anime Ghost in the Shell. They even call the half cyborg body a ghost, and at one point mention "your cyberbrain"

Well I like that show and would love to play this, but can you imagine the remarks you would get when your girlfriend sees you running around with some robot tits in your hand?

Whose bright idea was that one?

18. Silenius

Silenius Member

I really like the soundtrack on that trailer... the composer actually lives in Sydney and has an Awesome Band

Here's His own profile

Wonder what the rest of it sounds like...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  19. Clippit

Clippit Member

yes there are, and there should be a couple of ISP ones in Austalia, as well as one run by this "Skeleton" dude.
    As with any mod, or any non-TF2 or non-CoD game, there won't always be people playing, so if you want to try the game you might have to get on an American server.

Dystopia is well worth trying out, and is very (very) different to Neotokyo. I've also heard good things about Neotokyo, especially about the visual design, so I'll have to try it out too.

20. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

This looks interesting, downloading now.