Nerf Guns (do not post or link to for sale threads)

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Bleemv1, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Franc

Franc Member

I bought 1000 - they are in the shed, havent tried them out. Can do so tommorow.

2. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Yeah.
    For full length darts the best options are "accufakes" which are the copies of nerf accustrike darts. They perform well in virtually anything and handle increased spring loads without going squirrely.
    Second best would be "Koosh" or "waffle" tips. Koosh are probably hard to find now.

For half length darts worker are the best followed by half length accufakes.

You can get 1000 accufakes for ~$50

Chinese ebay sellers or nfstrike.com are the cheapest I've found.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  3. Omarko

Omarko Member

guys, not much activity here but I thought I'll ask. I am new to Nerf guns and would like to get one and modify. I am going for power and accuracy within 10 meters. Can someone recommend which gun is a good one to start with and where can I get some mods for it ? Is there a shop that perhaps sells mod kits for specific gun ? Alternatively, I can see there are lot of 2nd hand already modified ones on ebay, can someone pls recommend which one would be best to get ?

4. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Heya,

Do you want to play indoors or outside?

Indoors your best bet is a rival blaster which fires little balls instead of darts (Choking hazard!). Don't get one if you have a toddler or dog that likes eating random stuff. the Rival Kronos pistol is brilliant to about 15m without any upgrades and you can get an 18kg spring if you really want ;). It has a 5 round internal magazine with a pull back prime, very fun blaster and quite cheap. I can highly recommend it as an intro to the Rival line. The physics and "hop up" of the rival ammo means they have a limited range, the hopup induces backspin so they hold a flatter trajectory for a longer distance then drop off quicker after about 10-15m. They are pretty bad outside if there is wind though, you will be outranged most times.

Hammershot is IMO the best normal pistol for modding, the thumb prime makes it usable one handed so you can dual wield, it's cheap to buy and cheap to upgrade unless you spend $50 on an 8 shot metal drum.

If you want something fun to mod and have electrical experience then go with a flywheel like the stryfe or rapidstrike. You'll have to spend $100 ish for upgrades to get decent performance out of either of them though. Some of the high end motors are very loud, so if you don't want a blaster screaming like a banshee when it spins up then get a springer.

If you want the best outdoor performance then you need a springer. You can get a retaliator for $35, addon a better spring, stock, pump action priming bar, etc for $100ish. It will also leave you open to converting to "stefans" in the long run. They are half length darts that are MUCH more accurate and go further because they have less drag. A 7kg spring in a ret will perform nicely at 10m.

Top end Springer blasters (Longshot overhaul, Caliburn, Xzeus2, etc) without going to illegal use of compressed air can achieve well over 200fps and ranges up to 50m with accurate shots to 30m quite easily using a scar addon. The scar addons induce dart spin like rifling in a real gun but lowers velocity so you need a very powerful blaster to make full use of them. Those setups can easily run up to $400-500 though.

The following shops are all great, the last one is Chinese so shipping can take 3-4weeks. Monkeymods are fantastic, so are Blastertech, brilliant after sales service and super helpful. Blastertech can help you out with pre-made wiring looms and advice on the electronic side of things.

Blastertech.com.au
    Monkeymods.com
    NFstrike.com

Make test battle (MTB) are Aussie nerfers with a good YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MakeTestBattle

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any more specific questions or give you tips on the cheapest place to source different things. PM me if you want.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  5. Omarko

Omarko Member

wow thank you for the detailed response ! I had a look at the Caliburn and just watched few YT videos, it looks like a good one to start with and I found a guy who makes the parts and sells here:

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/551...blaster-build-it?ref=shop_home_active_3&bes=1

comes to around $270 delivered but doesnt come with magazine. What ammo is best to use for these? And what magazine do I get ?

also will customs let it through ?

6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

The Caliburn isn't what I'd call an entry level blaster but it's damn good. There is a Bullpup version of it called the Chimera but it's almost twice the price IIRC.

The Caliburn can fire full length and Stefans because of the breach and pusher design, you can just swap out magazines and ammo. I think it needs a custom 3d printed magwell to get katana mags working but they're hard to find at the moment. Just make sure you buy the right one (they make rival and mega versions now).

Customs won't be a problem, even in Victoria.

Best full length ammo are "accufakes" which are 3rd party copies of the nerf accustrike dart. Best Stefan's IMO are worker gen1, followed by worker gen2, then ACC gen3 but I have feeding issues with the ACC darts in some blasters.

Seeing as Katana mags are really hard to find at the moment your best bet would be worker mags. They're about $16-20 each.

That ETSY site is CaptainSlug's the designer of the Caliburn, it's also open source so if you have a 3d printer you can just buy the hardware package and print the rest yourself :)

7. Omarko

Omarko Member

8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Get your mags and ammo from NFstrike, should be a lot cheaper and you'll have to wait for the Caliburn and put it together anyway.

The worker 22's are only for full length darts, the short ones won't work in them. So if you want to fire both types you'll have to get matching mags.

Lord Drac makes a full metal trigger and catch for the Caliburn called "tooth and nail" but It's really expensive, he likes to overcharge for his stuff.

9. Omarko

Omarko Member

I am having a look at the NFstrike site but its overwhelming, which mag from their site will work with this gun and the gen 1 Stefans?

EDIT: I cant find the gen 1 Stefans on that site? what other ammo is equivalent quality?

thanks again for the help

10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Yellow are gen1, white and green are gen2. They're often not labeled, the main difference is the glue on the gen1 tips seems to be better or more consistently applied. In high powered blasters the gen2 tips sometimes fly off the foam :(.

https://www.nfstrike.com/p/2pcs-Wor...Clip-for-Nerf-Transparent-Blue_MU2320968.html
    https://www.nfstrike.com/p/In-stock...llet-Clip-for-Nerf-Transparent_MU2319755.html
    https://www.nfstrike.com/p/Worker-1...lip-for-Nerf-Transparent-Black_MU2294864.html

Those are all short dart mags. I'd recommend the 12 dart one because then you can get a blaster stand.

https://www.nfstrike.com/p/Worker-A...ow-Stand-Photo-Props-Transparent_2271469.html

There is another blaster stand made by F10555 (Workers sister company) but it's for 15 round full length mags IIRC.

I wouldn't recommend all black parts for use in public places, best to keep it looking like a toy.

11. Omarko

Omarko Member

thats awesome many thanks and it all makes sense now. Thanks again for all your help.

I'll post back once I get it all !

12. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

No problem mate :).

Goodluck and have fun. The instructions for the Caliburn are superb and there are a few assembly and trouble shooting vids online if you run into trouble.

13. Reaper

Reaper Member

Any good current guns that are fast and accurate that would be good to take drones down with, (once power modded)?

14. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

If you want to disable a drone you won't be able to do it with a nerf blaster. Plenty of them will go through cardboard or even a can but they won't disable a drone unless it's by pure chance.

15. Reaper

Reaper Member

That sucks, thought I'd ask on something that's legal first. :) Or maybe shooting something at one would then spook the operator and I'd then see where it then flies off to.

16. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

You can have non-braced slingshots in qld can't you? Using it to cause damage would be illegal though ;).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  17. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Are you allowed to import nerf guns into Australia from North America if it's in checked baggage?

18. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Can't see why it would be an issue. There are no restrictions on nerf blasters, even the ones that aren't sold on the shelves here. You might have issues with a 3rd party blaster if it has a metal breech and barrel or HPA components. If it's a stock blaster in original packaging it won't be a problem.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  19. apsilon

apsilon Member

Yeah I've bought some via Amazon before so should be OK.

ni9ht_5ta1k3r likes this.
  20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I was looking at getting one of the Reaper overwatch nerf guns from an eb games here in Canada.