Netbook/Notebook Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Mar 5, 2009.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Though it would be handy to get a thread setup where people can ask for advice in a consolidated thread. It should save some searching and allow users that frequent this section to share their knowledge and experiences.

Otherwise post it in the 'What / Where to buy?' section of the forum.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. himynameisho

himynameisho Member

Which do you people think is better, The Samsung NC10 or the HP Mini note 2140?

I can't decide

Thanks in advance

3. spilla2003

spilla2003 Member

I've been looking to get a netbook before I go to the US in June, so I've had a quick look at the 2140, but I haven't seen anyone selling in Australia. How's it perform?

The Dell mini 10 would be sweet once it gets the GPS and stuff.

4. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I've played around with one not long ago, and really liked the keyboard compared to some asus netbooks i've looked at, but the touchpad is so so.

StaticICE shows up quite a few places: http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=HP+Mini+note+2140&spos=3

DSE: Seem to have the product, and looks like there is a $100 cashback offer http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/49af9bc00e6e7cf0273fc0a87e01073c/Product/View/XC4279

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  5. spilla2003

spilla2003 Member

6. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Personally i like the look and HP's general support from past experiences. But HP Mini note is a bit heavier than the Samsung, not by much, but something to consider.

The keyboard is pretty good as well, but it depends on your taste and how you type. The touchpad design is similar to normal notebooks as the buttons are on the bottom, and not on the sides like on the HP :(

Here are some reviews to look over:

Samsung: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/samsung-nc10.aspx
    HP: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-mini-2140.aspx

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. Dexamenus

Dexamenus Member

got a u100 wind, love it :thumbup:

8. koma_white

koma_white Member

Help me OCAU... recommend me a netbook/notebook.

Budget: $500-800
    Use: Email/connectivity, Photoshop/Illustrator, ArchiCAD, Word/Excel/Office, digital photo offload from DSLR's CF cards... and of course media playback whilst i'm away from home.

The contenders so far are:
    Netbooks
    Lenovo S10 - good build quality, nice LED screen, great price ~$550

Laptops
    Lenovo R500 - superb old school IBM style build, ~$850
    Dell Studio 15 basic - LED backlit screen, slim, average build quality, ~$950
    Sony Vaio VGN-NR37GS - nice Vaio build quality, bit over budget ~$980

I'm in need of some sort of portable for work and connectivity. I'm just about to travel overseas for the next month and need something that will allow me to continue my work whilst i'm away as well as being a connectivity and media player.

I have a few hesitations about going with a netbook as the majority of my work is Photoshop, Illustrator and CAD. No 3D modelling input whilst i'm away, but i do need to be able to view them in ArchiCAD to check progress of projects, etc.
    I don't need to be able to work at 100% of my usual speed so i'm happy to suck it up with a smaller setup than i usually work on (twin 20" screens). My workstation runs fine on XP Pro with 2gb RAM so i'll probably do the same for the portable.
    I've no real need for an optical drive so netbooks might work for me. Battery life needs to be a reliable 4 hours between charges with me working lightly in Photoshop etc, so i'd imagine ~30% average constant cpu/ram/disk use.

Size is something i've debated. If i'm near my workstation i'll always use it over the portable, but as long as they keyboard is big enough for my medium/fat hands to type an email quickly i'll be fine.

I will be travelling and working with my Wacom 6x9 tablet which is a tiny bit bigger than a 10" netbook, so any serious work or long term use will use that as my primary form of input.

I'm hoping someone might be able to recommend something or sway me either towards or away from the netbook.
    Is it feasible or possible to photoshop/CAD on a netbook?

9. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

I guess the main thing to consider is screen size. I've used a 10" netbook before and to be honest the screen size is bare minimum for browsing and looking at documents. I can't imagine working on photos let alone CAD on such a small screen. I'm sure the Atom can run photoshop, but it's just about the resolution. As for keyboard, I was using the MSI Wind and the keyboard was quite good, but I found the track pad a bit too small.

As for 15" laptops, I wouldn't call them very portable as I have a 14" laptop myself and I still find it a tad cumbersome to always carry around. Best compromise would be a 12-13" laptop with at least 1280x800 resolution. That way there is more screen real estate and be running a decent dual core processor for power, not to mention more portable than a 14-15" laptop.

10. himynameisho

himynameisho Member

I just pulled the trigger on a MSI wind, and I plan to bring it to uni a lot so I think the case that came along with it isn't the most protective case so instead of making another thread, I was wondering what kind of case to get and where (neoprene? honestly, what is that?)

thanks in advance

11. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

neroprene is like that wetsuity rubbery material. not protective for drops/knocks, but good against spills/scratches. just gotta decide which you want to protect against more :)

12. koma_white

koma_white Member

I ended up picking up a Lenovo S10 last night brand new for an absolute steal of a price at $475, minus the 10% GST from when i head overseas makes it an undeniable bargain at ~$430!

After using one for a few hours with my graphics tablet and regular software i realised that it had ample processing power for the small work i'd do on it. If i do need the extra screen real estate then i'll pick up a CRT for next to nothing and use it whilst i'm overseas; palming it off when i'm done with it.

Currently running a cut down version of XP very well even with the stock 1gb RAM. Just installing Win7 for dual-boot to play around with it. My only criticism of the S10 so far is the somewhat sporadic use of the system fan.

13. scrantic

scrantic Member

Just after some input got a Budget of around $1100-$1200 for a student studying music engineering type course at TAFE.

After 15" screen, small room etc...

Windows platform, been looking at ASUS or MSI but not sure what to commit to will need it to last at least 2-3 years ideally as well.

I basically just want best bang for your buck + Reliable. Haven't dealt with MSI notebooks but had some good experiences with ASUS Platforms.

14. f1re

f1re Member

Need a laptop for UNI. Netbooks seem perfect.. but there's so many choices. Good thing is that most of them have the same screen size, same processor (atom), similar ram, hdd etc...

but i really dont know which to get.. which is the most popular atm? Ive seen a EEEPC in real life and it looks ugly.. the hp one looks alright.

15. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Im about to get one of these..cant seem to see anything bad about it, anyone had any experience with them

Cheers

Z

16. Otacon

Otacon Member

Laptop for Architecture

Hi people, I've recently started my Interior Architecture course and I'm looking for a good laptop that can run the Photoshop Suite and AutoCAD pretty well.

My problem is that I've only got roughly 1500 to spend and I'm looking at suggestions on what to get. I've been told that the Acer Gemstone - Acer 6930G-842G25Mn is a good one to get.

Any suggestions?

17. haydio

haydio Member

Do not buy an Acer, for the love of god. They are the biggest pieces of shit and have really crappy after sales service. How would I know? Well I sell Acers.

18. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Make sure it has at least 2GB of ram, 4GB would be ideal if you are going to be working with large scale drawings.

As for screen size..do you know what size of screen you are after? as a bigger screen will help it would add to the weight of the overall laptop, which may be a pain to carry around.

19. Otacon

Otacon Member

I'm looking ideally for a 17" but I suppose I can deal with a 15". As for weight, something that's not overly heavy.

20. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Recently i've become a fan of dell laptops, as they generally give you a good value package and when combined with a weekly special or a NRMA or RACV discount it makes it even better.

Dell Studio 15 http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/pro.../laptop-studio-1555?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Personally if i was buying a laptop i'd consider the Studio 15, the second one from the right. Good CPU and dedicated GPU as well as 3GB of RAM.

They also have the Studio 17 line of laptops, which do sport a 17" lcd but the price is a bit more and the cpu spec's aren't that good as the 15" model, but the resolution on the screen is a bit more.

Best idea is to top down to a local Harvey Norma , DSE, Myer store to see what they have and take some time to write down some prices and model numbers, then it may be easier to narrow one down.