Netbook/Notebook Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Mar 5, 2009.

1. BeefCaek

BeefCaek Member

Hey guys,

I've got a chance to pick up a laptop through HP EPP with finance etc.

I came across the following for $1570

HP ENVY 17-j101tx Leap Motion TS SE Notebook PC

Operating system Windows 8.1 64
    Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4702MQ (2.2 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    Memory, standard 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (2 x 8 GB)
    Hard drive description 2 x 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
    Optical drive Blu-ray writer and SuperMulti DVD-RW burner
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (4 GB GDDR3 dedicated)

With all the other shit, webcam, warranty and shit.

Struggling to pull the trigger based on other HP Envy 17's.

Several things - I have 0 interest in the Leap Motion sensor. Am only interested in the hardware specs. I would be using it for multimedia purposes/light gaming.

I would want to use it with two monitors one HDMI one USB3.0/HDMI conversion - is this possible?

Most of the reviews I can find are either for the older 720/820 processors etc and a common theme was overheating.

I don't know, you know?

2. JonnoOon

JonnoOon Member

Hi everyone,

I need some help picking a new laptop, any recommendations of a specific laptop, brand or specs would be awesome!

I currently have an Acer 4755G Aspire. It just had its heating/cooling core and motherboard replaced 6 months ago but is now starting to suffer, restarting itself, standby mode working poorly etc. It apparently overheats, which is odd considering it is always on a cooling stand.
    It's only 2 years old, just ran out of warranty.
    its i7 2.2ghz up to 3.1, 8gb ram, nvidia gt540 2gb dedicated graphics.

My laptop use:
    I'm a notorious multitasker, it is not uncommon for me to have a solid 30++ tabs open on chrome, 5 MS word pages, multiple excel pages, while running Windows media player or itunes in the background.
    I do ask quite a bit from my laptops.

games: nothing intense, a casual game of LOL sometimes but not often

I do watch quite alot of movies/tv on my laptop, so a good display and sound quality is quite important to me.

Storage: not a big deal, i always have external storage facilities

I am really looking for something reliable, that will last 4-5 years comfortably, without needing too much in the way of repairs.
    I basically live on my laptop, so needing to send it for repairs is a huge inconvenience for me.

Price: I don't mind paying a little more, but around 1500 as an approx max would be ideal.

Battery life – I generally am willing to sacrifice a little on this, since I ask quite alot from most of the other areas in a laptop.
    But it would be nice to have something that will actually last 2+ hours at a good level of performance, and that won't need a new battery every year. (my acer was down to 30 minutes of battery life before I replaced it with a new one)

Screen size – again, given that I look for quite a high performing laptop, I don't mind a bigger one, as long as it is not that thick and heavy. I do move my laptop around alot and carry it with me to uni and on trips etc.

I generally look for a laptop with 8gb of ram (or 4gb upgradable to 8gb), a solid dedicated graphics card, and an i7 processor, but I'm not too sure whats out in the market at the moment.

Reliability is the key thing I'm looking for out of this next one, and I'm willing to pay a little extra to get a good product that will last me.
    I'm kind of over saving a few hundred and getting an Acer that will only last 2 years before causing a ton of problems

I do ask alot of my laptops, they are worked hard and only get to go into sleep more or hibernate, with a proper shutdown/restart only once a month or so :\

Cheers everyone!

3. Unframed

Unframed Member

4. JonnoOon

JonnoOon Member

those look awesome, a little on the pricey side though!
    Cheapest one I could find was the 15" sized one at a solid 2k+
    I was hoping not to go over 1500 by too much!

5. Unframed

Unframed Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  6. JonnoOon

JonnoOon Member

its <1200 at harvey norman atm, which is pretty awesome
    http://www.harveynorman.com.au/asus-ux31e-ry010v-ultrabook-laptop.html

my only worry with ultrabooks is the non replaceable battery which may cause problems within a year or so.
    I've also noticed I tend to have at least 2 USB ports used at all times - laptop fan + mouse.
    Also need an HDMI port since I have an awesome BenQ monitor I plug into

Questions -
    How important is it to have a dedicated graphics card for my usage?
    Ie light gaming, quite alot of movies/tv on my laptop

Processor speed? Is it that big a deal?

edit: I have never heard of Metabox, that looks awesome!
    Thanks so much for the help :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  7. Unframed

Unframed Member

Not very, the Haswell built in GPUs are quite proficient.

Not massively, 2GHz would be bare minimum though

It's an OEM Clevo machine, they are amazing bang for buck. Mine is a W350ST with 24GB RAM, GTX765M, i7 4770, 1TB SSHD, 120GB SSD and room for 2 more HDDs. Manages an hour of gaming on battery, 2hrs of normal use or more with power conscious settings. Only set me back $1800 or so.

8. JonnoOon

JonnoOon Member

they are looking very appealing! Could definitely get a top performing laptop for a very reasonable price.
    has it been very reliable?

Also - what is the SATA drive?
    I am getting confused between that and the normal hard drive I think

9. Unframed

Unframed Member

So far so good, had it 6 months now, no issues at all (aside from Nvidia's piss poor linux support).

The SATA drive is just the normal SATA connection drive. Not sure what you mean by that question. SATA is normal, mSATA is abnormal.

10. JonnoOon

JonnoOon Member

Awesome, those will definitely be a serious consideration now!

http://www.dell.com/au/business/p/inspiron-15r-5521/pd.aspx?c=au&cs=aubsd1&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn

http://www.dell.com/au/business/p/inspiron-17r-5737/pd.aspx?c=au&cs=aubsd1&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn''

http://www.dell.com/au/business/p/xps-15-9530/pd?c=au&cs=aubsd1&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn

http://www.dell.com/au/business/p/latitude-e6540-laptop/pd

after speaking with dell and talking to them about my usage those are the laptops I was recommended.

I have heard mixed reviews about their customer support oddly.

However, other tech wizzes have recommended I look at getting a business grade computer.
    At nearly twice the price of a standard inspiron though .. I could almost just buy an inspiron and quickly replace it should anything go wrong after a year +. Just inconvenient is all!

I will probably want to look into other business grade laptops from the other manufacturers also!

11. clonex

clonex Member

The missus wants a new laptop, shes got a few year old dell xps 15 but its too big apparently to cart around with work.
    She wants a surface pro :sick:

I suggest a sony ultrabook of some sort or noticed dell has sale on atm from 20-40% off.
    Edit: seems the sonys are 128SSD and 4GB vs 256/8 for the dell.
    Similar spec vaio will cost near $1.8k

something like below as she can use it like a tablet if she really wants to.
    http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-12-9q33/pd?oc=w5109m2au&model_id=xps-12-9q33

Isnt it just a matter of popping it open like most phones and swapping it over? Took the dell bloke less than 5mins with my m11x

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  12. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

What's your concern with the Surface Pro? I have a Pro 2 and maybe I can answer some of the concerns :)

13. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Any half decent laptops out there for sub $500?

14. $qwuzzy

$qwuzzy Member

Any thoughts on the new offerings from LogicalBlueOne?
    Specifically:
    -W840SU-T
    -W840SN

Any similar alternatives?
    While I'm planning on using it for a uni machine, the option to waste time (ie play games) would be awesome.

EDIT:
    Not particularly interested in touch screen. In fact would buy the other one because it wasn't, and have a better graphics chip as a bonus!

15. clonex

clonex Member

screen size mostly and storage space, even the sony only has 70GB left off storage space from the 128GB SSD

16. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

I was slightly worried about the screen size, but you do get used to it, plus it can be plugged into external displays (even has a dock you can buy) when you're doing serious work on it at a desk.

How much do you need to store on it? You can get models up with 256gb (which is what I purchased) and 512gb, both of which come with 8gb RAM rather than 4gb. All models come with 200gb free Skydrive storage too. They also have a USB 3 port, so you can plug in whatever external storage you like.

17. clonex

clonex Member

Went to jb today, surface is too small. No idea why she was expecting it to be any different to my RT in size.
    Doesnt like the look of the Dell, loves the Sony but 4GB and 128GB SSD seem the norm at anything below $1.5k unless one looks at an apple.
    She got fair bit of music and uni stuff alone 5-10GB and doesnt want to cart usb HDD's
    Laptop has to fit into handbag for flights(FIFO) so rules out external screens when onsite.

Best place to buy apple?

18. $qwuzzy

$qwuzzy Member

Uni student?
    Online education store is pretty good.

19. sirelliottm

sirelliottm Member

looking at getting the P50T-A016 http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/toshiba/15-inch-touch-screen-notebook-sku-419098/

But when i called for stock they informed me of a newer model P50T-A0DP http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/comp...e-p50t-a0dp-15-6-touch-screen-notebook/697333

the specs seem the same apart from the older one having a bluray drive compared to a dvd-multi.

It seems like a better buy to get the older for the bluray and its cheaper...my guess is the new one is 8.1...?

Has anyone got an opinion on these?

20. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

On paper they look identical minus the bluray player. If that's what you want then I'd go with the supposed older model. Don't worry about whether it has 8 or 8.1 as 8.1 is a free upgrade