1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Netbook/Notebook Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Mar 5, 2009.

1. lazjen

lazjen Member

Looking for a laptop primarily for travel (storing photos and minor edits, email, web surfing, light gaming, storing/watching videos). Around the 11" mark. I haven't kept up with laptops for a few years...

Key features I'm after:

* lightweight
    * good battery life - ideally over 6 hrs continuous use in the real world.
    * reasonable keyboard / chassis - not too flexi, good for typing
    * HDMI port - useful to connect to hotel TVs for a larger view, etc.
    * Good display in varying conditions. This is fairly important as my eyesight is slowly getting worse and life's too short to live with shit displays... :)
    * No mechanical HD, prefer SSD if possible
    * Able to connect up external disk via USB3.
    * More than 1 USB port
    * Good WIFI speed.

Bonus, but not mandatory, any of these: wired ethernet port, media card reader, touch screen.

Suggestions for me to look at? I'm not in a rush. I have 2-3 months to sort this out.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  2. itsanobscureid

itsanobscureid Member

Looking to dip my toe back into Linux with a small / lightweight and ideally cheap notebook - anyone have any recommendations? anything in the 20% ebay sale would be even better.

All advice much appreciated.

3. bryn

bryn Member

thats pretty much the description of a retina Macbook pro- which will get a good update in september/october

4. barbz

barbz Member

Whats the source for this? Didnt the current only only come out early this year?

5. lazjen

lazjen Member

I'll have to check my size limitations again - but I think I need to keep to an 11" - the Macbook Pro starts at 13". The 11" Air looks like it has a crappier display to the Pro line.

I've got a decent laptop now - it's more a desktop portable, so this new laptop is really for travel purposes. I may compromise more and drop to a "lesser" category for a lower price.

6. archie

archie Member

perhaps the dell 11" 2in1 might suit?

7. lazjen

lazjen Member

The Inspiron 3000, I think it is? Yes, I did look at that, but their recent refresh has dropped the IPS display for something lesser. I'm not sure why you'd ever want to go backwards that way.

Other than that, the specs for the rest of it (based on the SSD, 4Gb, etc), version seemed ok.

8. trickae

trickae Member

Yep and keep in mind you'll need the Dell DA200 dongle to have HDMI, VGA, additional USB3.0 port and card reader. Without that the Laptop does not have onboard HDMI.

9. lazjen

lazjen Member

Yes, I missed that the first time round looking at it. So another nail in the coffin for that one.

10. archie

archie Member

oops, I didn't look into it that carefully.

I needed a new ultrabook for occasional travel use (interstate & international). I just purchased an Acer S13 for around AU$1160 in Singapore.

its a 13.3" with 8GB ram, 512GB SSD, full size hdmi port, 1x USB type C, 2x USB3, non-touch, full HD screen, backlit keyboard. plastic/metal body.

There is a version with 256GB SSD on amazon for a decent price, but need to use a shipping service like comgateway...

Its no comparison to a Dell XPS13 but for my budget of ~$1-1.2k its perfect.

11. trickae

trickae Member

All good guys, just a heads up as I was caught out when i got the laptop. By the way the dongle costs am extra $200, whereas with the Asus Xenbooks all display adapters came free with it.

12. BBITS

BBITS Member

13. nicholasporison

nicholasporison Member

HP 2140 Mini-Note Netbook is my favorite.

14. Unframed

Unframed Member

That's a Clevo variant similar to Metabox. Best bang for buck gaming laptops on the market. Only pitfall is the lower end ones have poor build quality.

15. lazjen

lazjen Member

Just an update on my search.

I've just bought the Dell XPS 13. It just fits the size limit I've got, but packs in a 13.3" screen. It doesn't have the onboard HDMI, so I compromised and got the dongle required. (I've also bought the extra power pack as well).

From Dell's ebay site:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-XPS...2-GHz-Win10-/322018948629?hash=item4af9d33615

I managed to get it for $1680, down from the listed price of $2299.

So overall, I think it's going to be a neat travel laptop.

16. Tazor

Tazor Member

Think I'm gonna pick up one of the new Razer blade stealth's for a travel/LAN system with the core. My pc is so heavy and fragile I just don't want to move it

17. adante

adante Member

With regards to Clevo's can someone specifically what the difference between these chassis are:

P775DM2
    P775DM3
    P870DM2
    P870DM3

The listed specs seem identical (except for a TPM module and usb ports) (edit: actually the 870 seems to have 2 lan ports although this is not mentioned)

http://metabox.com.au/store/b190/Metabox-Prime-X-P775DM2-G-Laptop
    http://metabox.com.au/store/b191/Metabox-Prime-X-P870DM2-G-Laptop

It seems like the 870 supports SLI configurations. I'm not interested in that but I'm wondering if there is anything more to it. For instance at face value the P775 seems preferable because it is cheaper, smaller and lighter. But there's no free lunch in this world so I'm wondering if the 870 has a better thermal design (better dissipitation, quieter fans) or something? And if so, it'd be nice to get a better quantification on this.

And the DM2 vs DM3 continues to elude me. I see some talk about whether it is GTX1070 or GTX1080 or the power brick (230 vs 330W) but nothing definitive. In general I can't seem to google much about this.

On a very related note I'm considering blowing a ludicrous amount of money on Metabox with 1070/1080. I was also considering a AW / ASUS ROG / MSI but I need 64gb of RAM. Most have 2 sodimm slots only and those that don't cost about the same or more. Comments welcome.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  18. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Any thoughts on the Yoga 910?

GF needs something for her PhD; I think she likes the 910 appearance and the hinge. A quick 5min browse doesn't reveal any glaring problems with it, but I don't really get amongst the laptop scene any more so I'm not sure if there's anything else she should consider at a similar price point.

Needs to have strong battery life, be built for abuse/high temperatures, needs expandable (not soldered) storage and DIMM slots. Preferably should have a removable battery too.

19. DuaNo

DuaNo Member

Gaming laptop

Can anyone please recommend a mid-level gaming laptop?

Preferably a 15 inch sized one

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  20. Hetty

Hetty Member

I'm after a new laptop as well. I love my surface pro 3 but it overheats too easily. I'm a teacher and spend a lot of time in classrooms without aircon.

I want something small and light, I'll be working a lot in other teacher's classrooms. I don't know what size screen I want but our home laptop is 15" and too big. I don't need it to do anything complex, just simple web browsing, YouTube, word processing, etc. but I can't always have it plugged in, so need good battery life. Any recommendations?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017