Netbook/Notebook Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I'm looking at buying a relatively cheap notebook for kids homework, it doesn't have to be superpowered or come with all the bells and whistles but it has to be Windows.

Has anyone got any experience with the HP Stream 11's?

Link from JB for reference.

I've read some reviews that the 32GB drives aren't big enough/fill up too quick with standard browsing and general use. I don't mind storing music and documents on external drives but I don't want to have to spend every few weeks cleaning the hard drive.

I think I also read something about them being not upgradeable too so more ram and a bigger drive is not possible. Anyone know if that's true?

2. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

If you use office online then storage won't matter :) I think an 11" screen is far too small for any kind of serious working though personally

3. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The complaints I've heard about the drive filling up are due to Windows and cache etc not storage.

I'm not really sure I want the kids on an 11 inch screen either but cheap laptops in the 14inch range also don't look that appealing specs wise.

4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Thinkpad E450? Huge step up in price though. I dunno, maybe something second hand on ocau then?

5. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Nah not really interested in second hand, I was only really half interested in the Streams because every store seemed to have them on special and I wanted to see if anyone actually had one that could give a real world review. Chances are I'll end up spending $400+ when I finally find something I like I'm just not going to rush into it if I have to spend that much.

6. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

I had a look at the stream but ended up getting a lenovo 100s instead. was a bit nicer, thinner and cheaper.
    Had some issues straight away with windows 10 downloading 9 GB of updates onto the 32 GB drive, but no problems since I told it my connection was metered... Has an sd card slot which gives extra storage too. Everything runs quick enough for me, even plays a few low demand games.

7. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

As much as I'd prefer not to buy from Hardly Normal I see they have a 110E, it doesn't have glowing reviews but most of what I have read call it an ideal first laptop. Has a 500Gb drive as well which will make things easier than a 32GB SSD. No one else has the same models locally so I'm still looking and may revert to online but I'm not rushing just yet.

8. negatron

negatron Member

Hello all! It's time for a new laptop for the Mrs.

Was hoping you all can recommend something.

Her current one is a sony vaio T, which is great because it had both an ssd in the pcie slot and space to put a slim hdd in so I could jam a 1tb in there for bulk storage.

Now she's after a 14-15 inch lappy. Budget of 2k. As this will be her only Pc. What would you all recommend?

I would have gone the xps 15, or even a refurbished one from dfo. But it doesn't look like you can add more storage in those, and 256 gb ssd seems limiting...

9. styx119

styx119 (Banned or Deleted)

just share the idea

i am looking to buy laptop recently as well, choosing between Gigabyte/Asus/MSI for gaming using, and i saw the GE62 from MSI looks pretty good with performance, but it's heavy for me as i am looking for the slim version gaming model~~~ if you are in SYD you may go to the computer shop in city, the computer square on George to have a look, i tried few units there.

10. vitimlove

vitimlove New Member

PC performance laptop

Mate: within your budget around 2K its good to have a laptop for her tho...and there are some promotions recently maybe you can think about that.Kong computer they have some special deal and free to add up the ram tho...

11. nushydude

nushydude Member

Has anyone here bought the Metabox Alpha N850HJ. I'm considering buying it from Kong Computers with 16GB RAM upgrade and Intel 8265 Wi-Fi card @$1487.

Concerned about the typing experience offered by the keyboard and the tracking quality offered by the trackpad (+ Synaptics drivers). Honestly won't be used for gaming; just need a fast laptop with a quad core chip.

12. vitimlove

vitimlove New Member

Free upgrade

but i saw their website shows free upgrade tho.or they have special model only?maybe need to find out more

13. nushydude

nushydude Member

They don't have a special model. That price is with the free upgrades they offer and with the upgrades I want.

14. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

so i was needing a better cheapo notebook for travel [movies and interwebz] and came across this cheap chinese Onda Xiaoma

just ordered it and will see how it goes but does play 4k movies which is a bonus for outputting to TVs

15. doug81

doug81 Member

Need to get a new laptop so hoping for some recommendations.

Current is a Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook that I bought in 2012 but after 5 years the battery is down to about 4 hrs and I'd prefer a FHD screen. Wish they still made them as it's a damn good laptop, and the design is nearly impossible to beat (still get's a 'wow' every now and then as it's thin as fuck and looks awesome).

Sammy released an i5 version last year that looked pretty good, but was a bit mid-range. Been looking at the Dell XPS15 which seems like it's the one to beat at the moment...

Looking for:
    i7 (6th or 7th gen)
    FHD screen
    16G+ RAM
    256+ SSD
    thin, lightweight, long battery (ultrabook I guess)
    <$2500

Is there anything else out there worth considering? Will need to purchase before June 30...

16. pezzy

pezzy Member

going to japan in a months time and thinking of picking up a vaio s11. does anyone know much about these notebooks? main questions are;

- is the battery removable?
    - ssd and ram both soldered onto mobo?
    - any ram expansion slots?
    - do all usb type c support hdmi alt mode?
    - are current notebooks uefi now? if so, is there an option to change it to english? assuming it will all be in japanese.

17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Xiaomi Air... what's the go on them? i know they are grey imports, but for that price it's pretty damned good

18. DreamingWet

DreamingWet Member

Looking for a bit of help on buying a new laptop

I don't play that many games other than OW and WoW and besides that I don't really use it for anything too strenuous other than drawing. I currently have an old MSI GT70 Dominator that has been with me for over a year now since being bought 2nd hand. I love this thing but it is getting on and it's time for an upgrade.

Current specs (pulled from Google):
    17in (1920 x 1080) matt TN display.
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-4800MQ (3.7 GHz Turbo Boost)
    8 GB DDR3 memory.
    128 GB mSATA SSD.
    1 TB 2.5in hard disk.
    nVidia GeForce GTX 870M with 6 GB memory

My main use for a newer laptop would only honestly be to play a wider range of games, games that I wouldn't be able to play well or at all right now. Weight isn't an issue as it isn't going to move from my desk. If I could I'd like to stay with a 17inch screen but willing to settle for something smaller.

I don't have the space for a desktop and I'm not sure when I will so if I can at least get a year or two out of it I'd be very happy.

As far as gaming laptops go I'm completely in the dark.

I have a budget of $3,000-$4,000.

If anyone has any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated :D

19. slashrox

slashrox Member

Can anyone recommend a good gaming laptop for approx $2000-2500? Needs to be suitable for COD, Forza, CS:GO etc if possible.

20. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

A lady friend needs a light portable laptop thats durable. I personally use a thinkpad w520, but that is way too heavy for her, she's a tiny petite woman and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations budget it about 500