Netbook/Notebook Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Mar 5, 2009.

1. BBITS

BBITS Member

What’s the cheapest brand new 15.6” screen, i5 or better, 1080p screen laptop with a numpad going?
    Happy to add my own RAM and/or HDD

2. slashnet

slashnet Member

Hi all,

Looking to buy a second hand laptop to teach myself fusion 360, what would be a low cost option that I should be looking at that won't be too much of a slug.

Thanks

3. kain0rer

kain0rer Member

No replies for 6 months, I would suggest seeking advice elsewhere. This thread is deceased.

4. pepsimax

pepsimax Member

Snapped up a Dell Latitude 7280 earlier tonight.

Fantastic build quality and exceptionally fast thanks to the 16GB ram and NVMe ssd. Looking forward to having a modern laptop, as my last one was purchased in 2013 and is showing it's age.

Only things that I'll do is get a bigger ssd then reinstall Win10 Pro and eventually upgrade the 46W battery to a 60W one - this is down the track though.

Best thing is the screenshot Dell used on the tray, they stay attached so you'll never lose one

5. n2o

n2o Member

Huawei MAtebook Pro X

Looks amazing, specs are exceptional - biggest concern is warrany/after sales support as it seems like they only have the one service center in Sydney which isn't a problem but little concerning that it's just the single service center for the whole of OZ.

Anyone have experience using one long term ?

6. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Girlfriend is looking for a laptop for uni. It will only be used for MS office, browsing lectures/uni stuff and youtube. No gaming whatsoever.

An i3 would be enough but the requirements which make my hunt a little harder are:

Lightweight and thin
    13" screen
    Looks pretty (her request)

Any recommendations?

7. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

A dell xps 13 would be an obvious choice if in budget, but as always it's a bit of a case of "thin and light" "affordable" "robust enough" pick any two. If you wait a month the new thinkpad x-series is going up to a 13" screen (current model is a 12). But whether or not she considers thinkpad's stark black attractive is another question

8. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I noticed at JB Hi-Fi there was these:
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...novo-yoga-s730-13-3-full-hd-laptop-i5/354414/
    Hadn't ever seen one before, Lenovo AU site didn't reference it. Was super impressed at how light it was, very similar to one of those super slim macbooks.

My question, is there any super slim laptops kicking around with an i7-8750H or other H grade 8 series cpu? Ideally I'd love a modern T470p equivalent. Doesn't need discrete GPU or I'd get an X1 extreme :)

9. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

millsy_c I guess wait and see what processor options they give you with the t490, the t490s certainly doesnt it seems

10. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Ended up getting an Asus UX431FA from CPL for $1400.

Same as this here: https://cplonline.com.au/asus-ux431...56gb-ssd-8gb-intel-uhd-620-w10p-1yr-blue.html

For the same price, I could've gotten something with an i5 8250U + a dedicated GPU like the MX150 (MSI prestige) but the missus would never have a need for it, and she likes the Asus for its looks and I feel more confident with an Asus over the MSI.. She's happy. Not a bad little machine for the $1400 pricetag.

11. motion2082

motion2082 Member

Got a quote today for a Thinkpad X1 Carbon Extreme for $2600 inc 3 year warranty

SPECS
    - Processor : Intel Core i7-8750H (6C, 2.2 / 4.1GHz, 9MB)
    - Operating System : Windows 10 Pro 64 Operating System Language : Windows 10 Pro 64 English
    - Display : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) IPS
    - Memory : 16GBx1
    - Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
    - Hard Drive : 512GB SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe Opal2 HDD

What do you guys think?

12. shino

shino Member

is there a gaming laptop that has a nice screen like the retina macbook?

13. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Member

Hey all,

I’m stuck in between two minds for a new laptop and need your advice. Recently sold my 2018 MBP Pro 15’ as wanted to love my productivity back to Windows OS.

I had my heart set on a Surface Pro 6 (512GB model) with the keyboard. Perfect for productivity and portability.

Then, I had a thought, I’ve had to put my gaming battle station (full tower) into storage as have no space for it in my new house, and not for a while. Ive had to resort to using a PS4 Pro for gaming and whilst i like things like God of War, Red Dead, etc, I really miss playing Siege, ARMA and Dota 2.

My thought was, but a gaming laptop. Best of both worlds! Cons are battery life, etc.

I have $3500 to spend and looking at the MSI GS65 with the 2070 GPU as it Seems to have ok battery life and performance.

My question is: I get these are completely opposite requirement, and I want to find the sweet spot of having both. Therefore, is there a better gaming laptop that I could also use for work I.e portable, half ok battery life, etc for $3500?

Thanks all!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  14. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

What kind of productivity work are you looking to use it for? Is the drop back to a 1080 panel going to cause issues in that regard?

I do a lot of documentation, and I struggled a little when I dropped from 1440 to a 1080 panel.

15. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Member

Normal stuff really for a project manager :) primarily MS Office, bit of Data Science, browsing, email / collaboration tools and some coding.

16. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

If possible, it might be worthwhile taking at a look at a laptop with a similar screen, and opening a couple of documents on it. Coming from the MBP I think you’ll find the difference in pixel density quite noticeable, and slightly distracting.

I adjusted in time, but I did purchase a 1440 monitor for when I’m not on the road.

17. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Member

That’s aN interesting factor I hadn’t considered.

Luckily I have a 1440p monitor from my pc, just nowhere to put it in the house unless I do a temp setup on the dining room table when I want a better resolution / DPI. Most of the usage will be at a work office desk using DP / HDMI cable or casually on my lap.

It’s one of my concerns re the MSI is the 1080p screen after using the MBP and my old 1440p screen.

Any laptops you know of with a 2070 and high res?

18. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Maybe something in the Metabox / Clevo range - I haven’t looked in a while though.

19. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Member

Thanks. Had one before many years ago and found the build quality lacking and the weight untenable. :)

20. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Hmm, it doesn’t look like they, or anyone else, really have a 1440 option. Looks like 1080 or 4K are the only options.