Netbook/Notebook Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Mar 5, 2009.

1. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Member

2. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

You're getting bent over on pricing anyway, so why roll with a eGPU? I realise the enclosure is what ~300 and then you're gimping the performance by ~20% but ultimately a gaming laptop is terrible value compared to a desktop as well. The perf hit is balanced out a little too as that's a desktop card in the enclosure.
    Do you really want to be carrying a gaming laptop to/from work all the time? Battery life, portability, professional look etc.
    You could get a quite decent little ultrabook for ~2k then sink the rest into an enclosure and something like a 2070.
    If I had 3.5k to blow that's what I would do.

3. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Member

That’s quite a good idea and hadn’t thought of that at all! I’ll look into it as I could transfer the GPU into my pc when I get a desk.

Thanks!

4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

bonus points if you get to scavenge your card from OCAU trading. 1080s going for ~400 etc, you'll save a truckload compared to new. Heck even people dumping 2xxx series for some reason.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Member

6. adante

adante Member

Have you considered the possibility of a laptop and eGPU? I'm afraid I haven't done a lot of research but would like you think you could get a decent cpu-grunty laptop with thunderbolt 3, gpu and egpu enclosure for that much (maybe a bit more).

Obviously this is then predicated not being in a situation where you need to be mobile and have gpu grunt. But based on what you've said it might be your case.

I recently migrated from a metabox w/ 1080 to a p51 + eGPU and a 1070ti. I'm always a bit sceptical about this eGPU technology because it's somewhat off the beaten track (and you always end up feeling like a bit of a beta tester) but it actually worked quite well pretty much straight out of the box with my vive. Although to be fair I haven't used it HEAPS yet. I guess the advantages for me was that (a) I actually have a 'laptop' now (ie as opposed to my metabox which weighted 5.5 kg and had less than an hour of battery life), (b) work actually picked up the p51 so all I had to shell out for was a barebones egpu and gpu (got lucky and got both on special, so was about $1000 all square), (c) it's a lot more component-upgradeable and (d) less risk of heating issues that occur with laptop gpus (my metabox is having horrible issues atm, been meaning to put it in for warranty).

Anyway just some thoughts. YMMV and as always due your own due diligence!

BushidoUK likes this.
  7. BushidoUK

BushidoUK Member

Again, great advice. Do you mind me asking what enclosure you went with?

Do I also have to consider the thunderbolt specs of the laptop to get better performance?

8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yes you need 4 lanes, some are gimped and 2 lanes. Even then some seem to take less or more of a % hit than others.

egpu.io is a good resource, I'd stick with a 'known' combo where someone before you has test driven that combination of laptop, enclosure and card.

9. adante

adante Member

I got a razor core x for $375 on some microsoft ebay special (and a 1070ti was about $520). It's a very barebones enclosure (does nothing else but egpu - no usb, sata or whatever) but I was okay with that as I didn't really want other things contending for bandwidth. I've been told it's big for it's size, but don't really have a reference point.

Sounds like wintermute knows more than me about the exact details so I'll leave it to him!

10. shino

shino Member

11. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Hey guys! I'm looking for a 14 - 15" laptop for work, so something that looks fairly unobtrusive and "professional" would be nice.

Don't need anything super thin/light or fancy at all, I'm trying to get something under $1500 so weight and size aren't super important. So long as it is built a tad better than your value consumer models.
    For hardware these are my must haves;

-Latest Intel or AMD quad core chip (Core i5/i7, Ryzen 5/7) with any integrated or addon graphics card is fine
    -8GB RAM or more included (if 8GB then the ability to later add another stick to go to 16GB is a must)
    -M.2 NVMe slot for SSD (don't care about included stock storage, it will be removed and replaced with my own SSD)
    -Compatibility with a dock that can charge the laptop while providing at least 2 x 1440p video outputs and the usual ethernet/USB ports etc
    -1080p screen that isn't complete trash (don't need touch)
    -Backlit keyboard that isn't complete garbage
    -Needs to have at least 2 USB ports + dock connector (or USB-C charging/display link port), and a gigabit ethernet port built into the laptop is desirable but I could make do with an adapter if the laptop has at least 3 USB ports

So far I've had a look at the cheaper stuff currently on sale from Lenovo and Dell, such as the fairly recent Lenovo E490 and Dell Vostro 15 5000 models. They do tick most of the boxes and at under $1200 but I am thinking there might be other options out there? What are OCAU's thoughts on that?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  12. shino

shino Member

omen gaming laptop was going for $15xx on ozbargain

13. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Nice laptop, for a decent price! I'd have loved it for a mostly personal laptop. But not quite what I am looking for this time around :(

I should have clarified the 14 - 15" thing. I meant any bulkier 13.3" through to slim 15.6" machines. I would rather not whip out something too bulky on top of a client server rack or the managers desk...especially when the cost of that extra bulk is for the soon to be idle gaming graphics card, the older (thirstier) CPU, or high refresh rate panel.

This one is purely for work and needs to be a little smaller and less creative looking, unfortunately as it may be :shock:

So far the Lenovo L480 and L390 are looking much better than the E490 for build quality and a better screen, so they are on the list for a bit more money.

14. millsy

millsy Member

15. csimpson

csimpson Member

Anyone had any experience with the newer E495/E595 models from Lenovo with the Ryzen 3000-series APUs? I'm interested in picking up an E495 with a R7 3700U but keen to hear how they perform in the real world.

16. leathal

leathal Member

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a laptop from JBHIFI (voucher) Looking at total price around $750-1k. Missus has started Uni and would like something that is mobile. Screen size around 15", SSD and webcam is a must.

17. millsy

millsy Member

Had a look at nothing jumped out at me as being an incredible buy in that price range sorry :(

I've been looking at a variety of laptops myself lately, got a thinkpad T440s I'm looking to upgrade as it's a bit chunky and slow compared to modern alternatives.

From what I can see, if I want thin and light without breaking the bank and a focus on CPU power, I have two distinct options:
    Machines with an i7 8656 86xx U series CPU
    (More expensive) machines with an 8750H or similar CPU.

Seems that single threaded performance is not radically different between the CPU's, my use case is spinning up / tearing down small virtual labs whilst on the go (just a huge pain having to constantly spin up stuff in AWS, especially given I use it so infrequently and don't always have good connectivity) as well as mobile image editing. I personally enjoy IBM, now lenovo machines immensely, have used thinkpads most of my life.

Anybody had a similar use case?

Current machines grabbing my attention are the:
    S530 - 1424 through corp pricing with 8565U / 16gb ram / 512ssd / MX150
    Pros - Really good value, good form factor and grunt
    Cons - Not the same KB quality as a thinkpad, poor colour accuracy, MX150 is pretty anemic, can't upgrade anything

X1 Extreme - 2296 with 8750H / 16gb ram / 512ssd / 1050ti max q
    Pros - 8750H, user upgrade able ram, can add a second SSD for VM's
    Cons - Screen colour accuracy isn't much chop, 4k option is very expensive and hurts battery, 15" is a bit bigger than I as hoping for

X390 / T490s - Similar machines, i5 8250u etc. ~2100
    Pros - Very portable, good battery life, fairly decent screens
    Cons - No user upgrades

T480s - Similar to T490s but worse screen, user upgradeable ram

What am I missing? I hate the keyboards on the dells so they're out of the puzzle

18. Sambo69

Sambo69 Member

I have been given a budget of $3k from work to purchase a new laptop. It must have a physical RJ45 (Ethernet) port.

I prefer a good looking ultrabook but can't seem to fond any that include a physical port, just dongles.

Can anyone help me search for one? Keen to stick with the big guys. Lenovo, Dell, HP etc...

Many thanks!

19. millsy

millsy Member

T480s has one I believe.

Sambo69 likes this.
  20. Sambo69

Sambo69 Member

Yeah I have taken a look at that one now. I think the Dell Latitude 7490 also looks really good. I had the 7480 at my previous role and I like that fact you can get it in aluminium finish looks great to me.