Netbook/Notebook Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Mar 5, 2009.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

2. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I'll give the new XPS 13s a miss. I'll wait a month or so to see if the older XPS 13 (9380) drops in price. It's already in clearance price @ Dell's site at $2,633.99 from $3,098.99. If it doesn't, I'll be picking up plan B, which I'm researching now. I can't justify $3k for a new "just released" model that has minor improvements over the previous gen.

vladtepes likes this.
  3. dimension11

dimension11 Member

I chanced across a Fujitsu U939X that one of my mates has. Pretty amazing little thing with essentially a full selection of ports, modern hardware and screen and light as a feather. Only thing I think it is not as well built as the x1 carbons (or thinkpads in general), but still very well enough that it didn't have much flex with my banging on the keyboard like a gorilla.

4. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Third effort going into seeing if Dell online chat can offer a discount on the older (soon to be) XPS 13 9380.

Lenovo was enticing earlier in my search but upon reading real user feedback on their quality of support, I'm comfortably giving them a miss.

5. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

I am leaning towards getting a Dell as well. I am trying to keep it under $2k though.

6. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah lenovo's support in my experience sucks.

Still bought another because the machines are great, but hey, boats and floating and such.

7. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Ok, fresh quote:

https://www.dell.com/en-au/work/sho...rationid=831c8ccc-9a69-491b-a801-8292c932cbcf

That was already discounted from $3,168, dropped via clearance due to new models released with 10th gen intel

Can't change OS unfortunately because it's bundled as is and is ready to ship.

Also tried to see what the new one would be like:
    https://www.dell.com/en-au/work/sho...13-white/spd/xps-13-7390-laptop/wnx7390c05auw

I can't find concrete benchmark differences but it looks like it may be betweem 10% - 15% overall difference.
    https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/21/intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-cpus/

EDIT:

JB HiFi Price matched, I bought this spec (9380). Although the 1yr accidental loss was something only Dell could offer, I paid extra for JB's equivalent. I figured, considering that this is the second ever laptop I've purchased, with a MacBook Pro 13" unibody back in 2007 was my first purchase, that this isn't a big deal in terms of extra investment.

Now, time to wipe and put Win 10 Pro on it over the weekend.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  8. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

9. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

That’s the one.

Pics:

2009 Core 2 Duo (LOL) vs 2019

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started her up, finished set up. Upgraded to Win 10 Pro on the spot, downloaded drivers, and now setting up the Win10 ISO boot creator to do a fresh Win 10 Pro set up. Very snappy with Win10 bloat, and beautiful display. Should even be better once I put my SOE fingers all over it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  10. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Well my little girl is off to high school next year and needs a laptop. I don't want to spend a fortune as it is only allowed to have school stuff on it and it will probably end up trashed (but I hope not).

Looking at a few around the $800 mark like the Acer Spin 3/5, Asus Vivobooks and such.

Ideal specs are 13.3" - 14", i5, 8GB, 256GB, 10 hours battery.
    Possible specs are i3, 4GB (if upgradable with a free slot), 128GB (once again upgradable), 10 hours battery.

Any recommendations for student laptops would be much appreciated :)

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Strange1 likes this.
  12. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Thanks, I started trawling ozbargain today :thumbup:
    It's a shame that the Spin 3 was a pricing mistake and was removed otherwise that would have been good :D

13. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I'm looking for a cheap i5 or i7 laptop that is in good working order.
    Ideally with, or can be upgraded to an SSD and 8gig of ram.
    Nothing else is specifically important. Will mainly be used for word processing, and collaborating documents.

Alternatively I currently have my old Vostro but the USB ports don't work, the corner of the monitor hinges is loose, and the track pad is dying, so if they're easily fixed (I'm in BNE) options for that too.

14. millsy

millsy Member

15. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

16. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

17. millsy

millsy Member

I personally much prefer reading on an e-ink display, less eye strain.

18. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

My wife's not interested in a e-ink display, she wants a cheap tablet.