Netbook/Notebook Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Mar 5, 2009.

1. mortal

mortal Member

Can anyone recommend a laptop that is 13"?

Price not an issue, needs to be quick.

How is the Alienware M14x R2?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. ndt

ndt Member

Does a 17" ultrabook exist?

3. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

Are there any laptops or netbooks that have the requisite output (HDMI version, DisplayPort or dual-link DVI) to drive a Dell U2711? :confused:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  4. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

5. chi

chi Member

I'm about to pull the trigger for a lenovo E430:
    Intel Core i5-2520M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50GHz)
    14.0" W HD (1366 x 768) LED AntiGlare, Midnight Black
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M Graphics with 2GB (WWAN or mSATA capable)
    4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (1 DIMM)
    500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    DVD Recordable
    6 cell Li-Ion Battery 62WH - 75+
    ThinkPad a/b/g/n Wireless BT Combo (2x2 ABGN & BT4.0)

total: AU$616.00

Remove the odd, swap the hdd for a 120gb ssd: got myself a ~$750 portable with gaming grunt (hopefully i can get optimus working for more battery life)

opinions?

6. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Do people still buy something other than the Ultrabooks?

7. Marcism

Marcism Member

Looks ace. Where is that from?

8. akashra

akashra Member

What suggestions do people have for replacing a Zenbook?

The short version is I've become so frustrated with it, I'm getting a refund. Unfortunately I paid a nicely discounted price - $1189.

So, requirements:
    A keyboard and trackpad that doesn't suck.
    >768px high 13" display, which the Zenbook was the only one at the time able to meet.
    128GB SSD.
    i5 CPU.
    Windows 7.
    USB3. (Edit: Redundant to have to state this as it's part of the Ultrabook spec.)

Nice to have:
    >128GB SSD.
    >i5-2557 (1.7)
    >4GB RAM

I would consider replacing it with one of the new Zenbooks, if they were available.

Sadly a high-res display rules out the Toshiba Z835 - I use it for software development, and Eclipse on a 768px display is not at all usable. What are my other options?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  9. pcheng

pcheng Member

10. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

Alienware M11x

JbHifi are still listing the Alienware M11x for $999. Are these still worth getting? The size is really attractive to me as I'm a regular flier. I can't seem to find a decent brand 12 inch or under machine thats either not expensive, or not a netbook. They weren't updated in the last refresh.

11. Segression

Segression Member

Help picking a netbook. Hey guys I'm looking at Getting a netbook to replace my iPad. I just use it in bed for movies/light gaming and in the lounge for browsing.

Had a look at an Acer one in dse for 299 wasn't bad. Anyone suggest one ? One with a decent screen would be good

Ps by light gaming i mean like ultima 7 may e thief 2/3 etc

Edit: i havent looked into them much, How do these go? havent seen one in person so im not sure how big they are compared to the 10" netbooks i saw in person, which seemed like a great size
    http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/hp/pavilion-11-inch-notebook-sku-75684/

If 11" isnt too much bigger, Does anyone know of some good units? Nothing too expensive though =p.

Would the AMD e-450 be better than the 1ghz atom based eepc/acer one etc (in terms of the light gaming side of things too)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  12. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Under every performance benchmark the AMD E-450 would poop on a 1ghz Atom.
    Plus Intel are notorious for it's Decelerators and dodgy drivers, AMD's drivers are gold plated in comparison...

Heck you could probably play Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 with a little tweaking and absolute lowest graphics quality.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  13. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

I tried... It doesnt start. Says (hardware under spec =( ) This is with an E-350 (Dell 11" M102z)

14. thebrad

thebrad Member

Hi

Looking at getting an ultrabook. What do you guys think of the Samsung Series 9, the 900X3C-A01AU to be exact?

Cheers

15. akashra

akashra Member

Re this and my post a few back, which got no replies - it looks like this is what I'll be replacing my Zenbook UX31E with - a similar specced 900X3C.

Keyboard has some mildly bad reviews, but nothing as scathing as the Zenbook. How soon are you looking to purchase? I'm hoping to sort out a replacement on Friday, so might have some feedback on it if that's the case.

16. PMack

PMack Member

Looking to get a Laptop/Ultrabook for my GF in the next few weeks. Rough spend will be less then $1000. She isn't going to be gaming etc. Just mostly Facebook, Internet and watching some movies/shows on the train. Some of these will occasionally be in 720p so if it can play then without skipping etc. that would be great (i5 processor???)

What do people recommend? I really like the Ultrabooks due to the fact they are so light and we really don't use dvd's nowadays.

17. ozdavo

ozdavo Member

Tablet? (cough***iPad***cough)

18. power

power Member

high end tablet for sure, you haven't cited a single scenario that requires a laptop.

19. akashra

akashra Member

Now typing from exactly the model Samsung you listed about. What would you like to know?

I'll start with the keyboard is a massive improvement.
    Other early impressions:
    - The speakers are clearly not the same quality as the ones in the Zenbook, and while their performance doesn't bother me, I can think of a few people who would turn their noses up at is.
    - The screen is noticably darker than on the Zenbook. I might have to play with calibration a bit, I think. On the other hand, it has much better viewing angles, and doesn't have the same discoloration/contrast issues when you look at it slightly wrong. Again, I wasn't too critical of this on the Zenbook, but others certainly are.
    - What I'm definitely noticing, already, is fingerprints all over the keyboard and trackpad. I usually keep pretty clean hands - I can't stand any amount of grease being transferred from my hand to my mouse or keyboard, hate the feel of it and I really notice it - but even without there being any noticable grease to feel, you can see the grease smudges everywhere, already.
    - One thing noticeably different is the Zenbook comes with a USB3 to ethernet adapter. The Series 3 however comes with an ethernet connector of a type I've never seen before. It's like a micro-USB connector, but ... not? I'm not sure actually. Either way, it means using wired ethernet doesn't hog a USB port. That's certainly handy.
    - Lastly... omg, WiDi!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  20. steamlover

steamlover Member

Looking for a 15 inch laptop, with a 2k budget. Will be my main machine while I'm in Europe for a year. Will be running windows 7. Would like a 256gb ssd and 8gb ram. Would like to be able to do some gaming.

I guess the new MacBook is an option ($2250 with student discount), but I've heard windows doesn't run so well on macs?

Suggestions?