1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Netbook/Notebook Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Mar 5, 2009.

1. akashra

akashra Member

Help me OCAU-Kenobi...

JB HiFi have 15% off all notebooks this weekend, so I want to take the opportunity to buy two first thing tomorrow morning for a club, while they're cheap - and get in before all the good ones disappear.

I need two, with the following requitements:
    Notebook 1:
    Minimum *x900 res. ie, anything higher than 1366x768
    Numeric keypad.
    Bluetooth.

Notebook 2:
    Anything. But preferably the same brand so it uses the same power supply.

Both need WiFi and Ethernet, other than that, preferably a dual-core or better CPU; Windows 8 w/4GB is nice to have.

It would be nice to keep it to a $1200 budget.

Can anyone suggest any from their list that fits this description?

2. Ceiling Cat

Ceiling Cat Member

Just to follow this up - I got the Zenbook. Used it for a couple hours over yesterday and today. Amazing build quality, everything feels solid and sleek.
    Keyboard is really good, great to type on - obviously not sure about long periods of time, but it's not uncomfortable.

The touchpad is perfectly fine. Responsive, solid click when pressed.
    I can't stand touchpads though, so I'll probably be getting a bluetooth mouse anyway.

The only thing I'm having trouble getting used to is Windows 8. I WANT to like metro, but I've found myself just going to the desktop and doing things normally. I'm sure a lot of my discomfort is from using a touchpad, so it will probably be smoother with the speed and accuracy of a mouse.

If anything changes with the Zenbook I'll post an update incase anyone looking at getting one is interested.

3. Vyvv

Vyvv Member

4. 1streetparty

1streetparty Member

Boys, help a brother out.

On holidays next week for a month, current lappy just shit itself.

Need a new one so cheap, it'll make the photo frame your aunt gave you for Christmas look amazing.

Realistically, would love to only spend 200-300, maybe 400 tops.

Only need it for travelling, so just web browsing and movie watching.

Been looking at the for sale section and nothing has come up yet, almost bought the W246 from LBO then bitched out because of the single core cpu.

Thanks boys.

5. C0ncrete

C0ncrete Member

Why be like that.

6. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

Buy a new laptop before or after christmas?

I can't for the life of me remeber if the after-christmas sales apply to laptops in general and I should wait to pick up a better deal. Also anything new on the horizon coming around Jan?

7. MissJay

MissJay Member

Thanks for the update; I'm currently in the market for an Ultrabook/Netbook and have found myself coming back to Asus & Samsung. Trying to compare a couple of models at the moment and look at best prices.

Interested to know if anyone can tell me what the Samsung Ultrabooks are like? I'm looking at something smallish...maybe the 13-14" size and the things I want are decent battery life, storage/performance, resolution and SSD. And pretty helps too :)

8. karsa

karsa Member

As above i am currnetly looking at the samsung series 9 ultrabooks, anybody got one they want share their experience with.

Edit managed to get a Samsung series 9 15" i7 with 8gb ram and 128ssd for $950 so will post up my thoughts when i pick it up

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  9. Vespucci

Vespucci New Member

Samsung series 9 screen flickers and zen book board death

Both ultra books on me died, so I bought an Sony t series from MLN as as a g75 on Friday. Loving life.

10. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

Where from?

11. karsa

karsa Member

It was a near new secondhand one on gumtree though i ended up not getting as when i looked at it at a local jbhifi i changed my mind due to the poor tn panel. The veiwing angles werent very good and colour was washed out compared to the 13 inch model.

Probably wait untill the new year now and grab the 13inch series 9 or maybe the acer s7.

12. karsa

karsa Member

Question does anyone have any idea of what a samung series 9 13 inch ultrabook go for at cost price?

I may be able to get one at this price through a friend early next year. I was thinking of grabbing a secondhand one but if there is a reasonable saving on a new purchase this may be worth waiting for

13. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

Lenovo X1 Carbon on special this weekend, can't decide if they will get much cheaper after Christmas or this is a clearing out of 'non-touch' stock :confused:

14. Ceiling Cat

Ceiling Cat Member

I've played with the Series 9's a lot and I'd say the main difference is that compared to the Asus everything feels 'softer' I guess. The corners are more round and the case itself feels soft compared to the metal on the zenbook. I don't mean it feels cheap at all, just not as harsh.

I really like them both but the two reasons I went with the Asus over Samsung is the price and the screen.

15. Arcadia

Arcadia Member

Can anyone suggest a touch laptop with a minimum 14" screen for around $1000 or less?

Specs not that important.

Cheers.

16. TomJ

TomJ Member

17. CacTuar

CacTuar Member

I'm looking for an ultrabook- the highest thing on my list is battery life, then weight. Looking to spend $1100 tops. I've looked online and been to both Harvery Norman (found their prices to be surprisingly good) and JB and can go to good guys, but had a look on their site. I've tried looking up reviews on the ultrabooks available in those shops, but they don't seem to exist.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good one with high battery performance?

Thanks
    EDIT: looking at the Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook and the HP Folio 13 now, will update when I make a decision.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  18. Anomalous

Anomalous Member

I'm looking for a new laptop around $1000. I'll mainly be using it for uni work (comp sci) and a bit of gaming here and there. Portability and battery life would be good, considering that I'll be lugging it around campus. I'd prefer something without a Windows licence. I was considering the Clevo W110ER. Any suggestions?

19. Foos

Foos Member

Writing this on a Hp Folio 13.

I like most things about it, except the GODDAMN FAN NOISE.

Don't buy this unless you only use this at work, where its loud. Anywhere that's quiet it will drive you insane.

Don't do it :(

20. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

I start full-time study mid Feb, Graphic Design. I haven't studied for 12-13 years and back then, people hardly had one laptop let alone laptop, smartphone AND tablet. I currently have a 17" Dell XPS, it's always been plenty fast enough, but after lugging back and forth for a few weeks in Melbourne for work I've decided I need something smaller.

Must have specs...

3rd Gen i7
    1080 screen
    Really dont want a glossy screen
    Highly accurate colour reproduction
    8GB & capable of 16GB
    Dont care bout HDD as I will buy an SSD later
    Would like a blu-ray