Netflix App Stutter

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by jimbogimp, Dec 3, 2019.

1. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Hey Folks,

Just seeing if anyone else has seen a problem like this. I've done a bit of googling but not come up with much aside from a potential need for upgrade... hoping to avoid that.

I'm running an Intel NUC as my HTPC windows 10
    i5 4250u with 16gb ram Intel 5000 graphics.
    Sound via USB Soundblaster live 5.1

My issue is with the Netflix App. In the app I get occasional stuttering during playback. Every few seconds its like a frame skip and quite annoying. Audio is good, just the picture pauses for a split second then jumps to catch up. Internet speed is good so its not buffering or anything.

I use the Netflix app so I can enjoy 5.1 sound.
    Playback via chrome works fine no stutters (no 5.1)
    VLC also works fine for local content.

I'll have to confirm, but I think playback in the Films and TV app is also has occasional stutters. Will check that tonight.

Tried the usual stuff: Reboot, Windows updates, Driver updates, closing other programs.
    Viewing task manager shows minimal cpu usage during playback so I dont think I'm under powered.

Playback on my main PC in the study (Ryzen 2600, 16gb, RX580) is smooth in the app + chrome, but I dont have 5.1 in there.

Any idea's?
    Is it just under powered?

2. power

power Member

instead of the app have you tried a browser such as Chrome?

sounds like either a video or audio driver issue to me.

why the SBLive? have you tried the onboard?

3. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Chrome playback works fine, but lacks 5.1 output. As far as I can tell 5.1 is not supported in chrome (have tried a few hacks found online but never got it working)
    I use the SB live so I can get optical signal to the receiver.
    Onboard sound via HDMI straight to the TV works good for day to day use and I havent noticed any stutters with that (mostly viewing in chrome though)
    But when watching a movie I like to hook up the better sound.
    Actually it must also happen in the Films and TV app as thats where I've rented a few video's and noticed the problem as well.
    I was thinking possibly some non checked hardware acceleration type button.

The SB is pretty old. Might be time for a new solution there but I would like to make sure thats the problem. I'll move the SB onto another computer and see if it still happens. I wonder if 5.1 needs faster than USB2 can handle...

4. power

power Member

try a different driver for the card. it should do the job, but good chance the microsoft supplied driver is crap.

5. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Shall do, I was thinking more that it was graphics ... but digging down into it, seems it could be sound card related.
    I've got the latest creative drivers for it, but being a legacy product they probably arent that great.

6. power

power Member

see if there is a fan driver, a lot of them are much better for Creative's legacy products.

if you want to confirm it, disable the sound card and run the audio through the HDMI as a test.

7. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Dang no luck so far.
    Turns out my nuc is newer than I thought. Its actually a 6260U with iris 540 graphics.

Still stutters with HDMI audio in stereo.
    Chrome works fine with either sound card enabled (but wont output 5.1)
    Netflix app stutters (not horribly, just enough to bug me like every couple of seconds it skips a frame)
    CPU usage hovers between 20 and 50%. GPU is idle. I tried some fix to force hardware acceleration (Display Settings, Graphics Settings, Graphics Performance Preference) and set everything to high performance. It seems to have slightly higher CPU usage in chrome, but I dont get the stuttering. Went through the Intel drivers and tried a few things, changed refresh from 59 to 60hz & a few other things but no luck.
    Havent tried turning off text scaling in windows yet, might give that a go.
    The netflix app is so basic, nothing I can tweak, tried setting global quality to medium - same stuttery mess.

Netflix app on my main rig works fine, but you can notice the same type of stutter when doing things on the second screen. So its like something is stealing resources when the app is open. Virus scan came back clean. Nothing odd happening in the processes/task manager list. Weird

I think I'll have to just re-organise and maybe just run Netflix from the smart TV with audio out to the stereo. Or maybe PS3. Only really need it for watching action movies to enjoy the surround anyway. Just need to buy another optical cable.

Ah well,
    Thanks for the input!

8. power

power Member

if the only thing this is running is a tele, how attached are you to the OS?

maybe blow it away and load it clean. I honestly have no experience with the Netflix app but I do run a little NUC clone and stream FullHD video on it through PLEX with no issues.

Everything is kind of pointing to the app as you say Chrome is fine.

It's not this bug is it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/bx1bax/netflix_stuttering_bug_on_1903/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 2:00 PM
  9. OP
    OP
    jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Thanks yeah I'll check out the update bug. It seems like a DRM type thing thats slowing things down. There's a process that shows up in task manager under netflix (forget what its called, but its some DRM thing) and it spiking in CPU usage corresponds to the stutter times.

OS is pretty clean & only ~6 months old. Nothing gets installed on the HTPC, just Steam, like 2 games and VLC... easy job to blast it away but, I'll give it a go if I could be bothered. Other than that I think I'll just switch to another device.