SOLVED Netgear Wireless Router Problems + Transact Cable

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by walker_2003, Aug 29, 2009.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I currently get my internet via Transact Cable which from the wall connects to a Marconi VDSL modem. It requires a PPPoE connection.

I bought a Netgear WPN284v3 Wireless router.
    [​IMG]

Out of the box it was crappy, with pages not working sometimes on the interface. But I managed to get both the internet and wireless connections working. (with the orange 'Tick' on the router showing all is well) Then out of nowhere it no longer connects to the internet (not an internet provider issue as a manual PPPoE connection works) No orange tick!

I tried a firmware update which was successful and now navigation etc is better but no internet connection.

Windows detects the network as a 'Local Only' setup.

Weird thing is the router detects an IP and everything from the ISP but then fails to actually deliver the service to me? Screenshot below shows my ISP and everything but no pages or anything works?? Faulty Router?

I did want a billion/linksys I should have waited!

[​IMG]

I am now running windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit all updated.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

humm a winsock reset fixed it..

Wondering if maybe my marconi VDSL modem has same gateway as router..

Can i just edit routers default gateway to something else?

is currently: 192.168.0.1

3. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

So let me get this straight, You have a DSL connection, not cable. You have a modem (with built-in firewall/NAT) and now have another firewall/router behind it?

4. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

wrong I have Cable (fibre-optic line) which uses whats called a VDSL (not ADSL) Modem with 0 settings or firewalls, its just a pure modem.

I then route it with router :)

5. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

LOL
    VDSL for dummies

Direct from your ISP

As for your lack of data, too many variables like poor config's, wrong DNS's or bad cache. If you can connect directly to your DSL modem and sure that its connected and authenticated then data should flow. If so then Netgear is doing what it does it usually does well and flounders. Yes a Linksys or Billion better bet.

6. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I am not on a VDSL2 service, I am on a fibre optic CABLE service. The modem however according to the techy is a VDSL modem, obviously not lol

7. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

LOL, who knows what they are throwing up the fibre. Ok, so you have fibre to the house ?
    http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_view&model_id=472
    That looks like it maybe the modem you have. Try connecting to it and see what happens. The bugger may not support DHCP properly and may need you to power cycle it and/or manually set you NIC details. From here, see if you get data flow, if not then your going to need the Transact techs to check the modem config (remotely managed) and see what happens. If you do get data then it's a simple case of the netgear being ordinary (netgear is just that, ordinary) and most likely missing a setting or just plain not going to work. Manual settings maybe required.